Any recommendations for a head unit?

TeachS3

Reaction score
Hey all.

I've just picked up (well, will collect tomorrow) an 09 S3 and the first thing I would like to do is put a much more modern head unit in there.

It currently has the standard, and very bland looking, concert unit in there. Ideally I would like something that will connect my Iphone easy enough for calls, music & audio books. Is there any must haves when it comes to these? I must admit, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff so any direction would be a great help. Even if just a point in the direction of some good threads about the topic?

I did do a search but it seemed the posts were pretty old..

Any advice appreciated.

Teach

Quite a few do for pioneer. Kenwood aren’t to bad either and I have a Alpine. It all comes down to budget really.

you don’t say if you have single or double din? If you have single then there are the associated costs to go double.

Apologies. It's double DIN.

As for cost, I'm not too bothered so long as it's functional. Is wireless over bluetooth a thing on these head units? If I get in the car it recognises and connect? Sorry for my obvious complete lack of knowledge on these things.

Yes you can get wireless over BT. Pioneer and kenwood have can have this functionality iirc.

my advice would be to go, when we’re allowed to a decent car stereo shop and get their advice and get them to fit. If you don’t know what you’re doing it can become a bit of a headache.

if you do a search on here there are quite a few threads where you can see examples of the models out there.

Cheers Abmat. I live on a very small island and have very limited/no choice when it comes to a place like that. I'll continue to have a look around in here :)

Cheers Abmat. I know the lads at The White Hoe, they'll be my first port of call

The only head unit you can call plug & play for our Audi’s is the Dynavin N7. Has all you want and you Can change it yourself easily in an hour, no extra looms or changing the factory wiring
I have the older version and was so easy to go fit, new versioN N7 Is much better than mine. This is the official importer and also the best price. You can phone him for help and advice, nice chap.
https://dynavindirect.co.uk/select-your-car/dynavin-n7-a3/?v=79cba1185463

I have a Pioneer double DIN unit.
Perfect fit, plays nice with my Bose system and has DAB. Bluetooth music is an option, but I prefer to plug my Android phone in to make the most of the Navigation apps, built in assistant and clearer music over spotify through a lead as opposed to bluetooth.
Also keeps my phone charged, which is a bonus.

IMO, well worth the investment as you will never have to upgrade sat nav DVD roms or SD cards for the latest maps, it will always be up-to-date and free on your phone.

Reactions: TeachS3
09 S3 here too only mine came with the Audi Symphony 2. I went for the Pioneer SPH-DA130DAB and it’s been brilliant. You can make calls, play music files from your phone and maybe Spotify (I can’t remember) via Bluetooth but for all the Apple CarPlay features to work properly you need to connect via a USB cable. The HU was around £300 and the plug and play wiring harness including patch leads for full Bose and MFSW was £83. My DAB antenna, which I never use was £23. I have either WAZE or Google Maps running all the time and for music I mostly use Spotify or Triode via CarPlay. I really can’t fault it....

b96fc93bd830c7744bbff99f1065902b.jpg

696af1dafe99dfeace9f87e2bb8b2b11.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had dynavin & they're just a rip off price of identical other units on the market, the support is arrogant & useless & had better units for sure, don't waste your money on them as it's not that good tbh.

The pioneers are ok as fitted quite a few.

It looks as though the Pioneer unit is held in high regard with the recommendations here and a few posts I've read.

Does anyone have a link to a decent installation thread and also what connections I would need for an easy fitment? Also, I'm guessing I would also need a facia panel to fill the void between HU and the rest of the dash?

I don't have the bose system. Just the standard one.

Would also like to retain steering wheel controls.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions

I have just been in the that boat but I have a single din and went for a Sony that has the same white/red as the rest of the car. While looking into it I came across the Xtron brand that pledges to keep the oem look. You might want to look at that.

I've been doing some looking into these Xtrons but I seem to come across posts about quality and poor customer service.

I'm still no closer to making a decision/purchase though.

I've been doing some looking into these Xtrons but I seem to come across posts about quality and poor customer service.

I'm still no closer to making a decision/purchase though.
I've got an xtrons in mine, can't fault it other than a slight issue with radio signal which I'm hoping to sort by purchasing the antenna amp which is only a tenner, doesn't bother me that much though as I mainly listen to Spotify, also got netflix which is an added bonus when I'm sat around waiting all in all its a pretty good unit

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Do you mind me asking which unit you bought?
Was it plug and play out of the box or did you have to add a few connections?

Also, are you using Apple Car play?

Sorry for all the questions!

Xtrons unit here. More or less plug and play, just added a few resistors into the harness to stop any alternator whine.
c83fc72e5d3c86d9b0fa92426966b567.jpg

I found no oem-like with bt/aux/usb/hands-free in a single din form. If you find the right colors is not terrible

Attachments

• IMG-20201101-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20201101-WA0007.jpeg
    683.4 KB · Views: 225
Do you mind me asking which unit you bought?
Was it plug and play out of the box or did you have to add a few connections?

Also, are you using Apple Car play?

Sorry for all the questions!
Amazon product

Excuse peppa pig only picture i can find oem look and was straight plug and play
9f475d7b59911df1788140db5f7f709a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Anyone know where to get the adapter harness for full Bose?

Looking at a kenwood unit.

Anyone know where to get the adapter harness for full Bose?

Looking at a kenwood unit.

what year. 2007 and below with mini iso get a CT53-AU04. It uses the existing car wiring and eliminates the potential for interference which is common on Bose systems.

if you have quadlock get the equivalent, think it’s the CT52.

don’t forget you need to run an ignition live and you’ll need a ariel booster.

I got mine of eBay, from bass junkies. Cheapest price I could find.

what year. 2007 and below with mini iso get a CT53-AU04. It uses the existing car wiring and eliminates the potential for interference which is common on Bose systems.

if you have quadlock get the equivalent, think it’s the CT52.

don’t forget you need to run an ignition live and you’ll need a ariel booster.

I got mine of eBay, from bass junkies. Cheapest price I could find.

It’s the 2011 (61) sport back

With that cable they'll have no steering controls and have to run an ignition wire. Connects2 have adapters that'll do it all

I totally forgot as it’s a facelift to ask if he has steering controls.