Q8 Any Q8 car owners

Mkay315

Reaction score
Hello all

I wanted to create thread on the Q8 and get people's thoughts on this car. I used to think this car was a unicorn but out of the blue in the last few months I've been seeing this car more frequently. Is this car reliable and comfortable to drive?

Many thanks

MK, had mine nearly a year and totally reliable. Came from a B9 S4 so compared to that very comfortable as well. Took some getting used to as it's my first SUV so the 'wallow' typical in these kind of cars with fat tyres was new to me. Overall really pleased but it's probably too big for the UK in reality.

Reactions: Mkay315
MK, had mine nearly a year and totally reliable. Came from a B9 S4 so compared to that very comfortable as well. Took some getting used to as it's my first SUV so the 'wallow' typical in these kind of cars with fat tyres was new to me. Overall really pleased but it's probably too big for the UK in reality.
Oh nice nice. Would you say that the Q8 is more of a family car or suited to the general public?

I do agree with you when you say it'a big for the UK. I remembered when I used to think that car was a Unicorn but over the last few months especially in London i've been seeing it more often. I'm actually in the process of getting an A4 at the moment but this car would be next on the list.

It's big and practical enough to be a family car but if you really wanted it for that reason you'd get the Q7. I got mine for the comfort factor over the S4 and the looks, both inside and out!

It's big and practical enough to be a family car but if you really wanted it for that reason you'd get the Q7. I got mine for the comfort factor over the S4 and the looks, both inside and out!
That's interesting to know and I get what you mean in terms of the Q7 as that's a 7 seater car. the Q8 is more of a sports version. I just hope the depreciation rate is not as bad as other cars.

Morning all. I thought I'd revive this thread again. Does anyone on this forum have a Q8. If you do what's your experience with it been like so far?

That's interesting to know and I get what you mean in terms of the Q7 as that's a 7 seater car. the Q8 is more of a sports version. I just hope the depreciation rate is not as bad as other cars.
The Q8 is an odd vehicle in the Audi line up, based on a Q7 but shorter - as Dunders says most people in market for that kind of space would go Q7. As Audi drive relentlessly towards EVs I'd expect that Q8 to disappear from the range as an early casualty. I secretly covet an RSQ8...depreciation is totally horrendous and it would be a tight fit in the garage anyway.

Morning all. I thought I'd revive this thread again. Does anyone on this forum have a Q8. If you do what's your experience with it been like so far?
Evening Mkay315, I had one but as you can see after just over a year I've got rid. Far too big for me in reality - obviously it's size wasn't a shock and I thought it would be ok but in the end it was just a pain for country roads and especially parking. Perhaps due to this I started finding other things I didn't get on with such as the wallowy ride and the way it drove due to it's weight. None of these issues are unique to the Q8, but the large SUV species as a whole - and looking at the number of those on the roads near me then it's probably me that has the issue! If you want a large SUV then there's nothing wrong with the car at all - well specced, comfy, good looking, reasonably economical for such a large car, very spacious as long as you don't need more than 5 seats, reliable and although growing in number there isn't one around every corner (hello RR Sport....). Once SWMBO let it known she wasn't happy with it either than it was only a matter of time..............into the Q3 Sportback she originally wanted instead of the Q8!

Evening Mkay315, I had one but as you can see after just over a year I've got rid. Far too big for me in reality - obviously it's size wasn't a shock and I thought it would be ok but in the end it was just a pain for country roads and especially parking. Perhaps due to this I started finding other things I didn't get on with such as the wallowy ride and the way it drove due to it's weight. None of these issues are unique to the Q8, but the large SUV species as a whole - and looking at the number of those on the roads near me then it's probably me that has the issue! If you want a large SUV then there's nothing wrong with the car at all - well specced, comfy, good looking, reasonably economical for such a large car, very spacious as long as you don't need more than 5 seats, reliable and although growing in number there isn't one around every corner (hello RR Sport....). Once SWMBO let it known she wasn't happy with it either than it was only a matter of time..............into the Q3 Sportback she originally wanted instead of the Q8!
Oh yes I remembered you getting a Q3 for yourself. I just recently got myself an A4 TFSI B9. If it's still socially acceptable to get an ICE car then I may be looking at the Q8 somewhere deep in the future. At the moment the reports from the A6 C8 isn't filling me with much confidence with it's faults and rattling which is a shame as it's a decent car.

How is the Q3 like for you now by the way?

Reactions: Dunders
Oh yes I remembered you getting a Q3 for yourself. I just recently got myself an A4 TFSI B9. If it's still socially acceptable to get an ICE car then I may be looking at the Q8 somewhere deep in the future. At the moment the reports from the A6 C8 isn't filling me with much confidence with it's faults and rattling which is a shame as it's a decent car.

How is the Q3 like for you now by the way?
Loving the Q3 I have to say - early days but love the looks, the colour is fab, interior quality is spot on (not upto Q8 standards of course, but way way better than any car mags would have you believe), it's the right size - bigger inside than you'd think, especially the boot, very well equipped (as it should be being the Vorsprung I guess!!), drives well, quick enough, if not super quick and comfy. No regrets and not missing the Q8 at all. Probably should have gone straight to this from the S4 but, hey we all live and learn!!

Reactions: cosmicblue
Loving the Q3 I have to say - early days but love the looks, the colour is fab, interior quality is spot on (not upto Q8 standards of course, but way way better than any car mags would have you believe), it's the right size - bigger inside than you'd think, especially the boot, very well equipped (as it should be being the Vorsprung I guess!!), drives well, quick enough, if not super quick and comfy. No regrets and not missing the Q8 at all. Probably should have gone straight to this from the S4 but, hey we all live and learn!!
Fair enough the main thing is that you're enjoying your Q3 so far and it's serving you well. I can imagine how spacious the Q3 can be. It's similar to my A4. When I first sat in one last year I was shocked by how spacious it can be. It's deceptively spacious.

Q8 here in Victoria, Canada. The 2019 SUV (black on black) looks amazing and has been solid mechanically. But not so for the entertainment system.

We moved the car from the US to Canada and the (hidden?) communications (sim card) has been tossing error messages for the past few months. The dealer doesn't know how to fix it - can't replace the sim or service for a different country.

Lately I've been trying to turn off all the options that seek to fetch data soas to minimize the errors and run old-school with the data on board. It's a frustrating exercise of whack-a-mole.

We would appreciate any help/pointers on this!

Brent

Q8 here in Victoria, Canada. The 2019 SUV (black on black) looks amazing and has been solid mechanically. But not so for the entertainment system.

We moved the car from the US to Canada and the (hidden?) communications (sim card) has been tossing error messages for the past few months. The dealer doesn't know how to fix it - can't replace the sim or service for a different country.

Lately I've been trying to turn off all the options that seek to fetch data soas to minimize the errors and run old-school with the data on board. It's a frustrating exercise of whack-a-mole.

Brent
Oh nice. Well I hope you enjoy it. Unfortunately I'm only speaking from the UK Perspective. Have you tried any independent garages near you?

Oh nice. Well I hope you enjoy it. Unfortunately I'm only speaking from the UK Perspective. Have you tried any independent garages near you?
No - not yet. I was hoping to learn where there was a cellular sim card that might be in an accessible location - that I might seek to replace.
Failing that, we are fine just turning off data up/down and using the static on-board GPS.

Thanks for the idea - I will look around locally.

Best,

Brent

No - not yet. I was hoping to learn where there was a cellular sim card that might be in an accessible location - that I might seek to replace.
Failing that, we are fine just turning off data up/down and using the static on-board GPS.

Thanks for the idea - I will look around locally.

Best,

Brent
No worries do let us know how you get on with this.

Q8 Owner from Winnipeg, MB, Canada. Picked up the Q8 in April. Me and the Mrs both loved it for its shape, styling and performance. Definitely not your purely economical car but love the drives. Will update after a few months. As of now the only downside is the higher than expected outside noise in the cabin while driving fast.

Q8 Owner from Winnipeg, MB, Canada. Picked up the Q8 in April. Me and the Mrs both loved it for its shape, styling and performance. Definitely not your purely economical car but love the drives. Will update after a few months. As of now the only downside is the higher than expected outside noise in the cabin while driving fast.
Nice nice. What trim did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Afternoon folks so I sat in the Q8 Tfsi e yesterday and my goodness was it a beast. It did feel a bit heavy though. My next car hopefully after my A4 will be between this car and the Q5. The Q7 I just didn't have that feeling to lean towards it.

Brent
Brent, have you heard of OBDeleven? It’s a $100 USD Bluetooth dongle and free app (iPhone or Android) and you can go in and change the settings for your sim settings. As I understand it, these cars have e-sims (electronic SIM cards) and all you are missing is the correct programming for your locality. Hop on to AudiWorld.com Q8 forum, there are a TON of knowledgeable people that can talk you through this. You can also enable features your car probably has, but isn’t enabled - like the RS style tail light animation, if your Q8 has the led tail lights. We have members from Canada and all over the world.

1440B192 BBC1 405E 8451 09E8D0FB92A1

Anyone here successfully fitted a big dog into the back of one of these? I know the Q7 is more practical, but love the look of the Q8.

Last edited:
I placed my order today for a new Q8, a 50 TDi Black Edition, with the Comfort & Sound pack, finished in Daytona Grey, with the Audi Sport cast alloys. I managed to get an existing build slot and got the colour changed from black to grey. Hopefully it'll be ready for the end of October.

Do any of you Q8 owners out there have any tricks/tips/advice you can share?
Thanks.

Reactions: Mkay315 and Sandra
Evening folks

The time has come. I am looking to sell my A4 after having it for over two and a half years and I've been looking for a Q8 hybrid but it's getting increasingly difficult. Should I just bite the bullet and get the full petrol version or just wait for a little bit longer to get a suitable Q8 hybrid?

Reactions: jdp1962
Hybrids are pretty scarce at the moment as well as diesel, but petrol models seem to be plentiful (assuming you're looking at new?).

Evening folks

The time has come. I am looking to sell my A4 after having it for over two and a half years and I've been looking for a Q8 hybrid but it's getting increasingly difficult. Should I just bite the bullet and get the full petrol version or just wait for a little bit longer to get a suitable Q8 hybrid?
If you can’t find a car that you want, better to keep what you have rather than buy a car that isn’t what you want.

Hybrids are pretty scarce at the moment as well as diesel, but petrol models seem to be plentiful (assuming you're looking at new?).
I know diesel cars are currently in freefall especially with the way the government are moving the goalposts on them. Even a used hybrid or petrol will do

Finally said farewell to my A6 C8 Avant and hello to a Q8 50TDi Black Edition, with C&S pack.

Attachments

• 20221125_114553.jpg
    20221125_114553.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 109
  • 20221125_112818.jpg
    20221125_112818.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 106
Had my Q8 just over a week now and the novelty hasn't worn off yet. It's not good on fuel- as expected! I'm getting around 32mpg at the moment (it's a TDi) and I'm taking it easy as it's still "running-in". Hopefully it'll loosen up a bit with more miles.
It's really comfortable and I love the torque, it feels effortless.
All of the tech is fine, after previously having a C8 A6, it's all familiar to me. I still can't get used to the height of it, although the elevated driving position is useful for getting a good view around you.

Had my Q8 just over a week now and the novelty hasn't worn off yet. It's not good on fuel- as expected! I'm getting around 32mpg at the moment (it's a TDi) and I'm taking it easy as it's still "running-in". Hopefully it'll loosen up a bit with more miles.

It's really comfortable and I love the torque, it feels effortless.

All of the tech is fine, after previously having a C8 A6, it's all familiar to me. I still can't get used to the height of it, although the elevated driving position is useful for getting a good view around you.

Nice update there

I know I've said this before but the Q8 really is a spectacular car. Hopefully before the EV balances things out I can get the Hybrid version. I've seen a few competition trims appear in recent times.

Reactions: DaveW
Hi folks

So I was just randomly glancing on the audi website and to my surprise the hybrid Q7 and 8 is gone. Is this because of the Q8 e tron that they're pushing for customers to have or is it a part related issue as to why the Q7 and 8 hybrids were dropped from the website timeline?

Q8 TFSIe is definitely not listed on the UK Audi website, I think you must be right about the all-electric models.

New orders for both were paused “temporarily“ at the end of last year due to supply chain constraints combined with strong existing order book. No dates given for when or if they would be available to order again.

Maybe being delayed until the facelift is launched