Any of you on high miles?

rob irl tdi

Reaction score
I bought a 2001 Pre facelift with 146000 on it. Just noticed lots of oil under the engine when up on ramp.

What do you need to look out for with these cars? I'm just getting the xenons sorted. Got new bulbs and my mechanic has the bumper washers working again and I see it needs front wishbone bushings

It has a full service history

146000 no biggie if car has been looked after, several on here have much more miles and still going strong, regular good quality oil changes are the key along with good servicing

Mines at 160k. I had oil which was turbo oil return pipe and input driveshaft seal. It's not leaking now but cost me abit to repair! Apart from that, bluddeh lovelys car!

Hi Rob, i will be in the market for something similar soonish. Can you say what you paid for it, how many previous owners ?

Thats not high mileage, mines just about to turn 200 and Prawns is ticking 210.

Just run in :)

Oh im in Ireland. Send me a pm fella on the price I paid.

Just bought a new house so the a4 had to go

The s3 is a serious bit of fun

My first A3, standard 1.8t, I got that to 249852 before I sold it. Was still going strong. My most recent is 2001 sat at 146k. Still going well

My 1.9tdi ASZ is on about 166k now. Shocks and springs are being replaced soon as there is no soaking up of bumps which annoys me a lot.

Mine's done 131k and has never run better.

Like everyone says, if it's been looked after...you'll have few worries.

My Tdi engine has a regular oil drip but its very minor, most of the back of the engine is covered a light coating of oil. Probably from when I didn't fit the rocker cover gasket properly though. Going to fit the undertray thats been missing since I had it soon though and try and work out if it needs replacement engine mounts, not sure how I work that out though.

173k on my a3 i had a golf on 130 same engine an the golf was a bag of nails

What gaskets /seals are most prone to going on the the S3's then?

Turbo oil feed/return is what causes the most issues, many people reuse crush washers when changing turbos or the like, and you end up with oil everywhere at the back of the engine bay.

If it's just turbo feeds then it's pence to fix if you're handy with a spanner.

I wouldn't worry about mileage too much, mine came out of the factory on 0 miles with 15bhp, and is now rocking 300bhp and 211 000 miles!

Reactions: Goubo1
Ive just ticked over 180K on my PD130, fresh oil and cambelt in the last 2 months along with a nice remap, still going strong

Turbo oil feed/return is what causes the most issues, many people reuse crush washers when changing turbos or the like, and you end up with oil everywhere at the back of the engine bay.

If it's just turbo feeds then it's pence to fix if you're handy with a spanner.

I wouldn't worry about mileage too much, mine came out of the factory on 0 miles with 15bhp, and is now rocking 300bhp and 211 000 miles!

Also - i'd check the transfer box seal ( if applicable )

My A3 1.8T is on 193k and it's going fine, as long as you look after them they should last a long time.

I guess this might not be the place to ask but where do I find out what mine might to worth to sell? It's 1.8t MY99 with 193k - the reason I joined the forum is that I got an S3 - so I need to sell the A3 now :(

Liam