Any experience in the snow and ice?

Deeming77

Reaction score
Hi, I have the b6 tdi 130 avant with multitronic. Front wheel drive.
Bought the car in the summer, but didn't think about getting to work in the snow and ice of winter. :faint:
Has anyone had any experience of this in the auto,just thinking as you can't pull off in 2nd gear, or any tips?
as in the midst of selling it to get a 4x4 as in fire service and can't not get to work. But wondering if I'd be able to cope with keeping it?

1 .Where do you live? Does it really get that bad?
2. 4X4`s still get stuck without proper Winter tyres.
3. Learn to drive!!

Near Peak District .
not as much as normal low riding cars.
and I drive fire engines for a living.
but thanks for your help.

As mentioned, get a set of winter tyres they will transform it. An auto will never offer the control of a manual in the snow, but selling it in the event we get a few days of snow each year seems a bit draconian! On a single track road any car can only get as far as the car in front anyway.

If it was manual I'd say high gears low revs, not much you can do in an auto other than drive like a granny and hope for the best (plus tyres like everyone else is saying).

curious as to why people think auto,s are no good in the winter ... bearing in mind they all have a manual option at the flick of a switch so you can choose any gear you like

You can only go up the gears in triptronic mode when the car is moving. It won't change out of first until moving so fast. Unless anyone knows any tricks?