Any Builders here?

VTEC_Killer

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm in need of some advice (or 2nd opinon) regarding a dormer extention!

I've been told that becase my house has a 'low pitch roof' that the proposed dormer can not go any further in (i.e extending out) from 1.7m from the outside wall/gutter!

The reason for this is the low pitch roof I have which the support piller/beam can not be moved!

Now I'm kinda confused as it doesn't really make any sense as i've known other jobs to go past 1.7 (less than a meter in fact) but mine can't go that far!

Can anyone explain why this is the case please? :sos:

Cheers :beerchug:

Because if the support pillar/beam is removed or altered it'd would compromise the structure and therfore become unsafe and cause potential hazrads etc, you got a picture of your house just to take alook just to check this is the case.
You can always phone them and ask them to give it to you in plain english because alot of te time its just jargen they use to confuse you.

I would first say that it extends out beyond your building line, but I don't know the planning restrictions where you are.
Would someone elses privacy be violated by the view you have?

But more realistically it would probably add too much lateral force to the remaining structure. Think of schoolkid physics with levers and fulcrums. With a traditional pitched roof there is a greater angle of existing roof to bear down towards the dormer, thus increasing the size you can make the dormer.
Although you may not think it weighs that much, rain will double the weight of the dormer roof and snow will treble it.

A structural engineer would be the best one to ask, but they charge around £750 a visit, whereas my opinion is free to Audi Sport forum members. My advice however, comes with a disclaimer and an invoice :laugh:

Do you have high ceilings?
This is another factor. When the dormer is installed it will use the front wall face (wall plate) as a pivot, hang out too much and it will push back against the top of the wall. High ceilings mean a lower lateral load can be applied to the face of the wall.
Most dormers are flush with the wall plate or even recessed back. This way the weight is pushing down on the wall plate and not against it.

Not that I do this stuff myself, I am a project manager, so I get others to do it:whip:

Ceilings are about a meter (ish) above the top of the door frame (sorry not really good with measurement) - so yeah, they are pretty high (I think)

Cheers