Any auto dimming rear view mirrors? Retro fit guide fitting.

AudiS3-Turbo

Reaction score
Any 8l have the auto dimming rear view mirror fitted as standard? I've got the hole set up off a bora, including the rain sensor, wiring relays etc for 20 quid and all in black... Any one retro fitted one?

Last edited:
It was an extra did test drive a S3 with one afew years ago, sadly it was about the only good thing about the car.

I have a auto dimming mirror on my 2005 a3 but does not work is there anything to check you could recommend to me please.

Pretty sure I've got one in my 2002. Seems to have a sensor in the front of it pointing to the rear of the car. Never noticed it before this thread don't even know if it works lol

I have a auto dimming mirror on my 2005 a3 but does not work is there anything to check you could recommend to me please.

There should be a fuse for it,check fuse 5,other than that there are three wires to the unit, ignition feed,blue/black,brow for earth and the last wire is for reverse cut out feed.

To check the operation,cover the sensor in the front of the mirror with your finger and shine a bright light into the front sensor (ignition on) and it should dim quickly

Ive always moaned about dazzling lights behind me,so when i got offered a black mirror ,wiring replays etc for 20 quid i jumped at it...its all in and works a treat,love it!

First is the button on the screen that attaches the original mirror,its a different fitting and i know if i try to remove it it will crack the glass,other option is to buy a new later screen...but not yet

Original twist fit mirror below,auto dim on top.

IMAG1028_zps3f0829e2.jpg

original non dim mirror button.

IMAG1025_zpsaa7a09a8.jpg

The Auto dim mirror has a 20mm hole in the center for the auto wiper option,for now im wiring it in but not fitting it unless i change screens,so it will be in the glove box if need be,the auto dim button fits nicely over the original button,so i bonded it on.

Few ours later...

IMAG1033_zps8c37e038.jpg

view from the rear..

IMAG1034_zpsb699fe0d.jpg

Next was the wiring,i took no shots sorry,but it soldered the blue/black wire into fuse 5 and gave it and earth,the reveres option i left off,the wiper wiring i wired into the back of the wiper relay and all done.

The original mirror sits higher than auto dim mirror,so the tube that runs the wires through needs to be trimmed down.

Before trimming.

IMAG1038_zpsa434f4cf.jpg

and after...

IMAG1039_zps692f7097.jpg

Then just slot the mirror in place,connect the plug,fit covers and your all done.

IMAG1040_zpse72c2df0.jpg

still need to order the lower trims so please ignore..

IMAG1041_zps509635be.jpg

So if i ever change the screen for an later auto dim mirror type all i have to do is pop the rain sensor in place,plug the wiring in and done....probably never happen lol

enjoy

There should be a fuse for it,check fuse 5,other than that there are three wires to the unit, ignition feed,blue/black,brow for earth and the last wire is for reverse cut out feed.

To check the operation,cover the sensor in the front of the mirror with your finger and shine a bright light into the front sensor (ignition on) and it should dim quickly

Ive always moaned about dazzling lights behind me,so when i got offered a black mirror ,wiring replays etc for 20 quid i jumped at it...its all in and works a treat,love it!
where can I locate fuse 5 if I'm right I understand there are 2 fuse box, I have just also found out tonight I have auto wipers , I new I had auto lights but went to get the car washed and as soon as the water hit the winder screen my wipers started so that's auto lights and wipers working but not auto rear view mirror. Any ideas ?

they share the same fuse and its the fuse board on the side of the drivers side dash,i suspect the mirror is at fault if it has all its feeds?

edit,its fuse 8

Garage door operating unit -E284-
Navigation system with CD drive control unit -J401-[SUP]1[/SUP]
Parking aid control unit -J446-
Garage door operation control unit -J530-
Automatic anti-dazzle interior mirror -Y7-

A97-1143_zpsa72e7613.png

Last edited:
No mine is totally different has a on/off button and a sensor at the bottom bellow the mirror in the middle, if that makes sense.