1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any AMK crankshaft failures?

NZChoppa May 10, 2018

1. NZChoppa

NZChoppa New Member

Hi all,

Following my AMK engine failing, i was just wondering if any have experienced crankshaft failures in AMK engines??

Trying to get a feel for whether the tensioner failed, or whether it could have been the crankshaft (snapped). Was moving between 3 and 4th - car was accelerating, but nothing great. Engine was at 140,000 kms.

cheers, Dan

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

No crank failures... plenty of rod failures though

Only crank failure I have heard of was a guy running 600+hp on e85 fuel...

What tensioner failed?

<tuffty/>

4. NZChoppa

NZChoppa New Member

the timing belt tensioner - just trying to get a feel for what might have gone first. initial view is that the tensioner failed - but the timing belt was only done 20,000 kms ago; i was told the tensioner hand been adjusted but it might not have been poorly done.

i love the car - has been great - but this will cost. just trying to do it in a managed way. if i am going to pay money, i am erring on the side of finding a second BAM engine and doing a full rebuild to minimise as much uncertainty as possible. Is my thinking incorrect?

5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Tensioner failure normally results in a head full of bent valves... must have been very unlucky to have locked the engine that much that its snapped the crank...

Tensioners are self adjusting but the tensioner damper is the point of failure and these often get overlooked on belt changes... these will cause the tensioner roller to go slack and the belt to jump...

20v engines are pretty resilient but rods and exhaust valves are main failure points...

In your case you have been very unlucky...

<tuffty/>