Any A1 185bhp Owners?

SAiLO

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi,

Thinking about saying goodbye to my A3 and going down the A1 route.
Missus wants automatic, I want some power. 185bhp A1 seems to fit the bill.

Any happy/unhappy owners here?
What's the opinion on the enginge/handling/economy?
Any major issues?

All input appreciated.

I haven’t had any experience of an A1 but my mother bought a Fabia last year with the same engine.

I had the opportunity to drive it up through mid-Wales on some great driving roads.

The engine excelled in those conditions with the supercharger giving lots of low end power to pull out of the corners.

I did find on the longer straits its lack a bit of grunt but it wasn’t really an issue as I could keep up with the more powerful cars in the corners.

With only 2000 miles on the clock it hasn’t really broken in as yet but its average so far is 32.1 mpg with mostly town driving with the mid-Wales trip averaging 39.8mpg.

As you probably know there are issues with the 1.4 twin charger unit consuming a lot of oil which resulted in the engine replacements being done under warranty. This resulted in the engine being resigned from the original CAVE engine and being replaced in late 2012 by the CTHE engine (which allegedly produced more power than published).

As the engine is now out of production I would say the last of the 2014 models would be the best bet as it is the latest revision and would still have a good warranty to back it up.

Hope this has been helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAiLO
That is extremely helpful, many thanks!

I have a 2012 185 and have had oil consumption issues. Was drinking a litre of oil every 600-800 miles. Took it into Audi and they did some breather mods which fixed the issue. Other than that, I love the engine, pulls great and sounds fantastic. Once its warm the fuel economy is OK. Can be a little thirsty in town especially with a right heavy foot. Stronic box is fantastic, although I am having issues with it and the Mechatronic box is being replaced under warranty. (i've had ALOT of warranty work done replacing certain parts on this car). I put it down to being the engine design which isn't the best and bad luck on my behalf! Other than that I love the car and I have to stop myself from going out too much in it on a sunny afternoon - just so I don't burn too much fuel, I'm in it that much! ;)

Reactions: 45bvtc
The missus has the 185 s-tronic black edition on 64 plate. It's a good car and pretty nippy. The gearbox is great, engine sound is nice for 1.4. Quite hard suspension on 18's though.

Thanks chaps. itchyhippo, hope you get it all sorted!
Now I have to negotiate with the missus.

The missus has the 185 s-tronic black edition on 64 plate. It's a good car and pretty nippy. The gearbox is great, engine sound is nice for 1.4. Quite hard suspension on 18's though.

Put mine on 40 profile tyres and so much better than the 35s and only 1mph different @ 70mph on new rubber; great car the 185bhp A1:

P1030554mod