Anti theft recommendations

Chrislake90

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

Just wondering what people use above and beyond the standard manufactures security.

Read a few posts in here about people's cars being stolen and I want to make sure I'm not one that's stung!

Had a fiesta st for a while and ended up with a ****** ugly steering lock and moving obd port. Hoping not to go down the steering lock route as very ugly looking.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2356.jpg

Reactions: RO65ERS, Bandicoot51, sjbarneS3 and 5 others
Garage. What they can't see, can't interest them.

Reactions: richinsoton
Being serious for just one moment...most cars are stolen via yer hoose being broken into,so don't make it easy for them...simples

Reactions: Chrislake90
Big ugly Disclock I'm afraid. Hopefully makes them look for an easier target.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Chrislake90
Live in a gated community thankfully so not too worried. More of an issue if leaving it somewhere else over night.

Sod it. Disc lock it is :(

Reactions: Andru8, Simon L and Jassyo06
I'll be following this with interest as I want to keep my S3 to myself, as selfish as that sounds, when it arrives in March.

I'll be hiding my keys well away from view at night time and also installing a drive security post. I live in a pretty quiet area but you never know the scumbags that can tail you home.

A quick edit and heads up,

My mate was telling me earlier how crooks can case you out and leave an obstruction in your path to home, such as a bin etc. When you get out to remove it they quickly dive into your car, I was amazed when he told me this and it's yet something else to think of. It's awful that in this day and age there are still people who will do anything to steal your hard work and pride and joy. I just want to make it as difficult as I can for them!!

Last edited:
Reactions: richinsoton and pburv
Big ugly Disklok I'm afraid. Hopefully makes them look for an easier target.
@Chrislake90 - ^ This & GAP insurance
If the scum want it they will have it. Just make it as difficult as possible is my advice

Reactions: Simon L, sjbarneS3 and Andru8
DISKLOK is the answer,anybody want to organise a group buy?

Reactions: mister.c. and thewrongspeed
What is the diameter of the S3 steering wheel as Disklok do 4 different sizes.

thanks for the replies. Got a disclock i leant out so wiĺl get that back. one question off topic - Does a new s3 come with media cable or do I need to buy one?

thanks for the replies. Got a disclock i leant out so wiĺl get that back. one question off topic - Does a new s3 come with media cable or do I need to buy one?
Most of us tell the salesperson what we need and they provide them :)

Oh, silver stoplock pro here, with CCTV on the car and GAP.

I've got GAP which will be transferred to the S3 when it arrives. I also have CCTV as my wonderful ex thought it fun to put the windows in on my previous Volvo C30. I'll pick a Disklok up in the next few days.

Just emailed politely asking for an apple cable and full tank of fuel. Dont ask dont get i guess!

Just emailed politely asking for an apple cable and full tank of fuel. Dont ask dont get i guess!
What I always say :)

S3 does look nice in the saloon and black:
media

Whilst looking for that pic I came across this:

SHINE!!!

media

wow wow wow. I need to get my wax on wax off technique mastered i think!

Mine is on the way to the dealers.... So I would be interested in a group buy on a Disclok

Reactions: Tristan2
I have one, but I've mailed them to see if they would do a discount...

Steeve

Reactions: Sandra and Tristan2
Hi All,

I lost my S3 8P last year after house was broken into for the keys whilst family was asleep.....as mentioned previously focus on making your house secure and a visible deterrent such as a Disklok if you can't garage it. If you have euro-cylinder locks on any patio/French doors etc. make sure you replace them with Anti-Snap cylinders such as ABS Avocet (easy to replace yourself for around £40 per lock).
I've since replaced car with an 8V and invested in a Disklok, perimeter alarm and now part set house alarm at night. P.S. Also don't keep the Disklok key on the same fob as the car key!

Reactions: richinsoton and Andru8
I've since replaced car with an 8V and invested in a Disklok, perimeter alarm and now part set house alarm at night.

I was talking to a mate about these the other day, what make did you get and how much did it cost to buy & fit?

Thanks

I was talking to a mate about these the other day, what make did you get and how much did it cost to buy & fit?

Thanks
Sorry missed your post!! This is what I got from Amazon....

1byone® Safety Driveway Alarm, Easy Installation with Upgrade Auto-learning Code, Blue LED Indicator, Weatherproof Patrol Infrared And Wireless Home Security Alert Alarm System Kit, Type QH-0514 Amazon product

Reactions: Gazjs
OK thanks for that, I did think you meant a perimeter alarm for your car such as this :)

These days most cars are stolen by stealing the keys from the house. You could hide the keys in a safe in the house but then you stand the chance of being woken up in the middle of the night by someone demanding the keys. Personally I don't leave my keys near the front door but equally I don't hide them. If someone does enter the house they are fairly easy to see so hopefully they will just take them and go. If they take the car then it's only a car. I will just order another one. Insurance plus GAP should cover the cost.

One of my friends did a rather silly thing. He had his keys on a small window sill near the front door. His car was parked on the drive with a Disklock type device fitted. The trouble was the key for the Disklock was on the same key ring as the car keys so when the thief broke the small window and took the keys he had the keys to the Disklock as well. Not very clever.

Reactions: mrksl
I hide car and disklok keys seperately and have purchased a 'dummy' Audi key and Disklock key that I keep downstairs on a fob so that if anybody does break in overnight they'll pick them up only to find it won't open car....by that time the part set house alarm, perimeter alarm etc would have alerted us.

Reactions: RAF_S7 and DJAlix
Don't sleep. Sit by your window and watch it all night.

Become a ninja and master throwing stars and knives.

Kill from a distance.

Reactions: S., richinsoton, Gazjs and 2 others
62339184.jpg

Reactions: Mr.G, RO65ERS, pburv and 2 others
Don't sleep. Sit by your window and watch it all night.

Become a ninja and master throwing stars and knives.

Kill from a distance.

If that fails a moat and a battery of rocket launchers should keep them at bay

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
These days most cars are stolen by stealing the keys from the house. You could hide the keys in a safe in the house but then you stand the chance of being woken up in the middle of the night by someone demanding the keys. Personally I don't leave my keys near the front door but equally I don't hide them. If someone does enter the house they are fairly easy to see so hopefully they will just take them and go. If they take the car then it's only a car. I will just order another one. Insurance plus GAP should cover the cost.

Exactly, if they can get past the CCTV and alarm system into the house they are welcome to the keys....metal and plastic can be replaced.

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
Thing is, which most people fail to remember, if they want it they WILL get it! regardless of your security devices.

I've known of cars that have literally been picked up, placed on a lorry and then driven away.

Deterrents will only work so far. After all they aren't going to actually stop a theft, as they are just Deterrents.

Reactions: pburv and richinsoton
My car is kept in the garage which is attached to the house. The garage door is power operated and can only be operated from the outside by a key in a separate box. If they want to get the keys to take at the car then good luck to them. I'll just order a new one.

Interesting there was an article in Auto Express a couple of weeks ago about steering wheel locks. The Disklock device came second. The test said it was very good but of a problem to add and remove on a day to day basis. Never tried one myself.

Interesting there was an article in Auto Express a couple of weeks ago about steering wheel locks. The Disklock device came second. The test said it was very good but of a problem to add and remove on a day to day basis. Never tried one myself.

Come on then half a story :p what was first? :)

Reactions: pburv

the new house i've just bought, the current tennent is a real curtain twitcher.
to be fair, when i did my first viewing all i could smell was pot and a taste of meth in the air.

i did a few drive byes and his curtains twitch more than a donkey with Parkinsons.

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
Come on then half a story :p what was first? :)
According to the article in the 9 March the Auto Express Best Buy 2016 was the Stoplock Pro and the Disklock was a Recommended 2016. The article said the Disklock had been a frequent winner for a decade or so and was still very effective. But in the end they chose the Stoplock Pro because it was easier to use and the slender shape made it much quicker to fit and easier to store in the cabin. They listed the Stoplock Pro at £49.99 and the Disklock at £99.99.

Reactions: S32B
Something like this? (althogh you do need to be in the car to set this one off ;-) )

According to the article in the 9 March the Auto Express Best Buy 2016 was the Stoplock Pro and the Disklock was a Recommended 2016. The article said the Disklock had been a frequent winner for a decade or so and was still very effective. But in the end they chose the Stoplock Pro because it was easier to use and the slender shape made it much quicker to fit and easier to store in the cabin.
lol after 18 months of using it with the S3!! I've just got back home and went to put the lock on, in doing so I thought "Why have I never tried it going over the spoke, that way if they did cut the wheel they'd have to do two cuts as opposed to one cut where I normally lock it on".

I tried it and it fits :D

1 old way
2 new way
3 new way

Reactions: pburv