Anti roll/torsion bar [rear trailing arm] snapped - Advice please

bkr

Reaction score
119865337_326306728439411_8702157738774847298_o.jpg

Hola folks, bit of an emergency, please could anyone help or advise?

My anti roll bar/torsion bar in the rear trailing arm (98’ a4, b5) has snapped (22 years old, I guess that seems feasible)

Mot 2nd Oct but needs sorting ASAP.

I’m in South Yorkshire and wondered if there was anywhere that you could recommend please?

Many thanks in advance

The only option here is to replace the entire rear axle. It will be a fair amount of work to swap it out, most of the bolts will be rusted solid and need replacing. You could try and cut the old bar out and re-weld a new bar but again it's a fair amount or work as you would still have to remove the axle as you cannot cut or weld that close to the fuel lines/tank.

The only option here is to replace the entire rear axle. It will be a fair amount of work to swap it out, most of the bolts will be rusted solid and need replacing. You could try and cut the old bar out and re-weld a new bar but again it's a fair amount or work as you would still have to remove the axle as you cannot cut or weld that close to the fuel lines/tank.

Thanks for your reply mate, some good points there :)

As I look into it I found that the thing is all one, Im told they're assembled under pressure/at tension so it cant be replaced or welded in either, I think in the factory setting they have the means to fabricate that bar into place with tension which I couldn't do, a bar by itself welded in wouldn't offer the stability to be safe.

My mechanic (after much quizzing) said that its a straight MOT fail if they're tampered with, welded/repaired in any way, which kind of makes sense although frustrating.