roof rails towards the rear, outer edges. Passenger's side is barely visible
TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT;
Took it to audi the same day
HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME;
4 months
DEALER APPROACHED;
West London Audi (great west road)
OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED)
Offered a 70% contribution, so as with others i'd be paying £300+ towards warranty work..The car has not had any repairs, was thoroughly checked over by the bodywork guy (Steve) at West London Audi - who has been very helpful!
DATE OF CLAIM
; Around 20/6/13 (can't remember exact day :/)

To me it's ridiculous that i'm expected to pay for something that clearly should be covered under this warranty - my car was first registered in September 02 so it's got a long way until that warranty runs out. My question is this: Where is it that people have gone/who have they spoken to at Audi to take this issue further? Richard Starkey is no longer the UK customer care manager but might it still be worth my while to get in touch with him?
Having looked into it a little, the general consensus is that a regular call to audi customer service will have little affect.

IMG 20130717 164438 Driver's Side

IMG 20130717 164457Passenger's Side

Last edited:
Is it only the roof rails that are at fault or can it be anything on the car
My a3 2000 1.8t has a rusty rear door at the bottom. I have only owned it 3 weeks
Is it worth a shot

HOME TOWN; Cardiff
YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL; 2002 S3 225(BAM)
DETAILS OF RUST FOUND;
Roof rails and onto roof towards the rear, outer edges. Both sides.
TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT;
One week.
HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME; Had previous owner sort it before I bought, he owned it 7 years.
DEALER APPROACHED; Audi Swansea
OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) Offered a 70% contribution, previous owner paid £324 towards cost.
DATE OF CLAIM; Roughly 20/7/13

Is it only the roof rails that are at fault or can it be anything on the car
My a3 2000 1.8t has a rusty rear door at the bottom. I have only owned it 3 weeks
Is it worth a shot

Seeing as its now 13 years old it will be out of the 12 year anti corrosion and paint guarantee. But it could be worth a shot at getting some money towards a repair...

Oh no, just found a touch of bubbling at the bottom of my passenger door by the trim. I know there's a thread on this but its last post was in 2009!

Anyone know if Audi are helpful with this and the kind of prices they'd charge otherwise?

Hi all,

I've picked up an A3 this week with slightly rusty roof rails, It was registered on the 05/10/2001 so I don't have long!

Is there any hope of them fixing this? or contributing at all?

I'm located between Guildford & Portsmouth, does anyone have any experience of local dealers?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I've picked up an A3 this week with slightly rusty roof rails, It was registered on the 05/10/2001 so I don't have long!

Is there any hope of them fixing this? or contributing at all?

I'm located between Guildford & Portsmouth, does anyone have any experience of local dealers?

Thanks in advance!

As stated previously in this thread, the best you will get is a 30:70 split with the dealers for the work that needs to be done. Best get in there quick. I took my S3 to Portsmouth Audi.

Good luck!

SHiNK

As stated previously in this thread, the best you will get is a 30:70 split with the dealers for the work that needs to be done. Best get in there quick. I took my S3 to Portsmouth Audi.

Good luck!

SHiNK

Oh.... AND I showed them comparable (endless!) other 8L chassis models cases that had been done completely under the warranty. I believe earlier in this thread someone uploaded their invoice from Newcastle for the work done. They didn't care one jot.

I then effectively told them to do one and rang Audi UK and tried my luck there. No joy whatsoever.

I for one do not have the time, patience, resources and/or willpower to battle this one out with them. The work done to my car, for a couple hundred quid was absolutely top drawer and I paid a little more to get some door rust sorted.

Audi know about this fault and the fact that individuals will roll over eventually.

Let us know how it goes.

SHiNK

Well Guildford Audi had a look over the car yesterday and took some photos, usual story.

I'm going to re-read this and pick out people that got the 100% deal and also have another look at the member who had it done at Guildford for £150 if they had a health check instead. Is this to find problems with the car that they will try and get me to authorise work for?

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure if I posted my results but to help you on your way, I had a 100% respray for one rusty roof rail, the Audi guy actually said that it is in the 'handbook' that even if only one side is rusty, both sides plus tthhe roof MUST bee painted under warranty as a preventative measure, good luck, Audi need to man up and admit they screwed up. Some of our cars were £30k new and are rusting sooner than some Citroens.....

Hi, yes, they paid 100% I had trouble with Truro Audi in Cornwall, the girl there seemed to think any warranty work was coming out of her wallet if you know what I mean. Had to go to Audi UK, when it was done, it was a terrible job, specks and even bits of tree / leaf in the lacquer! I took it to Exeter Audi to see if they were happy that this is an Audi standard and they were totally on my side, I guy called Ian said he would personally vouch for me and he did so had the paint re done again. Not a chance of a courtesy car either time though which sucked. And now 3 years later rust is coming through on the lower rear wheel arch which I'm pretty gutted about so still not overly happy with my Audi paint!

Just had mine agreed with Southampton Audi with a 70% contribution from Audi. Leaves me about £270 + VAT to pay.

Terribly worded letter from their body shop and had to speak with the guy who inspected the car to clarify:

1. The extent of work - both sides as per the bulletin.
2. Who "They" were referring to in the letter - Audi UK.

Getting it done by Audi will cost the same as my local friendly bodyshop but at least Audi will do both sides.

Mine is going both sides anyway so I guess I will be getting good value.

Do they paint the whole of the 3/4 panels?

HOME TOWN; Huntingdon
YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL; 2001 S3 210 AMK
DETAILS OF RUST FOUND; roof rails towards the rear, outer And inner edge on Passenger's side is only
TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT; 5months
HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME; 5 months
DEALER APPROACHED; Vindis Audi Huntingdon
OUTCOME (APPROVED) Offered a 70% contribution, so as with others i'd be paying £640 towards warranty work..The car has not had any repairs, was thoroughly checked over by the bodywork guy (Bob) at Vindis Audi - who has been helpful!
DATE OF CLAIM; 30/8/13

it would have cost £300 contribution but they told me my car had to be within the audi network and as it has not been serviced at an audi for 3yrs it would need a full service before the warranty would be valid. So I've got to pay out an additional £340 for a full service.

they will however be doing both roof rails and full roof resprayed. This however is not the end of the story as my passenger 1/4 panel has got some lacquer cracking. So the blend where they would end the paint will end up in an area with a crap paint. This they will not cover as the blend will be just below the rear side window. I got a quote to have the sorted at the same tie but the quote was £903 extra. So now I wonder whether to go else where as was quoted £630 to have the roof sorted (rust side only) and sprayed and 1/4 panel sprayed. I feel audi should sort it but at such a cost I wonder if its worth the grief.

Does anyone have a copy of the official repair bulletin they could send me to see what exactly should be done for this repair?

I had S3 in with a dealer in Ireland to sort the rust/corrosion issue. They repaired the corrosion and repainted around the rails, and painted some of the quarter panel. They did not paint the roof and did not paint the trim which is a bit crap when you see it next to the fresh paint. The refitting of the old trim along the rails is a dogs dinner of a job as you will see from the pics below.

Considering they had the car a full week I would expect a lot better out of a main dealer. They did the rust on the boot door also leaving trim loose on one side, something rattling around inside the trim in the boot door and the right hand side button for the boot door not working!

Will be going back this week so want to know my facts before going back if anyone has that info?

20130907_123043_zpsa61a74e0.jpg

20130907_122316_zpsc79b8837.jpg

20130907_122931_zps286094f4.jpg

20130907_122944_zpsf494f4e6.jpg

20130907_122243_zps0ac71ab7.jpg

20130907_123029_zps73078104.jpg

20130907_123014_zpsfa8bbf15.jpg

20130907_122957_zps0b223779.jpg

If it's any help, the rep at Exeter Audi was happy to show me the file and made sure that a copy was passed on to the paint shop after my first repairs were badly carried out, bits of leaf under the lacquer etc, and only did one side, the Rep told me that they should do both sides and the roof as a minimum, even if only one rail was rusting.

I've been told by Guildford Audi that they will paint the tops of the 1/4's, there isn't actually any rust on the roof that I can see.

Is this right?

I've been told by Guildford Audi that they will paint the tops of the 1/4's, there isn't actually any rust on the roof that I can see.

Is this right?

I was told that for any repair regarding the rails. both sides and the roof are to be painted. The entire rear panel should be painted and masked off in the door shuts and go all the way down to the cill. My roof had no rust either and the paint could have been masked under the rails but the roof was painted anyway as per the documentation from Audi. I hope they don't try and skimp / ignore their own policies as what is good for one should be good for everyone. Please feel free to use my story to help strengthen you case.

I will question this before it goes in, My 1/4 has been painted, repaired and possibly changed so maybe this is why they wont do it. He said they would go about 12" down the panel and possibly clear coat the lot. I can't remember exactly but I know he said about leaving the roof.

I will feel a bit cheeky, as they are doing it for £149 with an oil service!

Can somebody please tell me, is the roof supposed to be painted as part of this repair?

I've been told yes, by people on here but I'm told they wont be painting mine. I need to get hold of 'that' document that gets mentioned on here.

Can somebody please tell me, is the roof supposed to be painted as part of this repair?

I'm sure there will be a freedom of information type thing where Audi will have to disclose the full doccument that states this, the rep I dealt with bought out this A4 paper printed and stapled booklet, told me it specified that they do the rest as a precaution and that he will be sure to send a copy to the paint shop. Audi need to man up and stop letting people down. Or at least not set everyones expectations so high by providing a great warranty but not honoring it. I wish I could have been more help but can only confirm it's existence.

Just said I would update full summary of my experience on this repair.

I had my S3 in for this repair with a Main Dealer in Cork Ireland at the start of the month.
The car was in to have the rust on the roof rails and rust on the boot door repaired.
I received the car back and to be perfectly honest it was in much better condition before it went in to be repaired.
See below some of the issues:

Fitting of Roof trim

See below pictures of my "refitted" trim & the trim of Shane's car which highlights the differences in fitting.

20130907_123043_zpsa61a74e0.jpg

20130907_122316_zpsc79b8837.jpg

20130907_122931_zps286094f4.jpg

20130907_122944_zpsf494f4e6.jpg

20130907_122243_zps0ac71ab7.jpg

20130907_123029_zps73078104.jpg

20130907_123014_zpsfa8bbf15.jpg

20130907_122957_zps0b223779.jpg

IMG_0482_zpsb2821fa1.jpg

IMG_0477_zps7fd7394d.jpg

IMG_0479_zps56cab5bb.jpg

IMG_0474_zps840f766f.jpg

Masking lines

See below pictures of lines between new & old of paint which are clearly visible as a result of the “masking” in area’s around back pop out windows, front doors and front pillars. The boot door was also painted leaving with similar lines at the bottom of the door.

20130912_164015_zps595d6f09.jpg

20130912_164025_zpse9af756b.jpg

20130912_164048_zps282dfca4.jpg

20130912_164055_zps08ee0074.jpg

20130912_164211_zps5c5ef722.jpg

20130912_164244_zpsf59bb009.jpg

Boot door

In addition to the paintwork I also have issues with the boot door since I received the car back.
The trim on one side of the boot door is loose
There is something rolling around inside the trim which is rattling on acceleration, over bumps in the road and opening and closing the boot
The right hand button to open the boot does not work since I got the car back, this may be related to the second point

See below pictures with the area’s circled in red to explain:

Bootdoortrim_zpsb5c80295.jpg

Bootdoorbuttons_zps5098d354.jpg

The first picture shows the trim around the left hand side of the boot door window which is loose when compared to the other side.
The second picture show the two buttons to open the boot, I have circled in red the right hand button which is not working.
I’m not sure how best to describe the noise from the boot door, I suppose if you could imagine a stone been put inside the trim of the boot door then drive around a roundabout and hear the stone move from one side of the door to the other. It does not happen all the time only when it becomes dislodged from where it gets stuck and moves to its new location in the door trim. It can be heard most of the time when opening and closing the boot door.

The window in the boot door was also taken out to repair the rust around the window, however I would have expected the inside boot door would to have been at very least put back to how it would looked before it went in from repair instead of this:

20130922_191919_zps6199e931.jpg

20130922_191933_zpsdf071a07.jpg

Finally the level of cleaning done to the back seats and boot area before the car was handed back left a lot to be desired, see below picture of my back seat, boot is similar state.

20130912_164126_zps3f496e38.jpg

I am in the process of trying to get this resolved but despite numerous calls and emails with the Main dealer and Audi Ireland progress has been slow to say the least.

What are your view's on the above?, is that an acceptable standard of work from a Main dealer?

Mine has gone into Guildford Audi today, the OH took it in and collected an A1 which we have for a week.

I need to get onto them ASAP about painting the whole quarters and roof but could do with referring to this 'document'!

I think thats the trouble with any warranty work. They will do it as cheaply & quickly as possible, with the minimum level of care...
The result will be crap paintwork & the obvious masking lines.

I have been trying to google my way to find out who is the head of audi customer services without luck . Anyone know or is better at searching ? I want to send him an email to complain.
I have found out: André Konsbruck is the new Audi UK director from Oct 1 2013.

You thought about maybe an email to trading standards? Or watch dog? Not upholding warranty scopes can't be good

my car has these issues and audi leeds have sent off my paper work to be approved, but ive got rust bubble on boot lid, lower rear quarter, drivers door, and front wing needs replacing, all original paint. but said all i can get done was the roof rail.
ill be writing to audi uk, depending on what the dealer comes back with

I have been trying to google my way to find out who is the head of audi customer services without luck . Anyone know or is better at searching ? I want to send him an email to complain.
I have found out: André Konsbruck is the new Audi UK director from Oct 1 2013.

I've had replies from Customer.Services@audi.co.uk and information.centre@audi.co.uk so would suggest trying those 1st or Tel Audi UK on 0800 699 888.

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice... i know i have an a4 but its regarding the same problem, bubbling paint and rust coming through...

had my a4 for a month and approached audi today to get the warranty checked to see if i could claim on it as it's common on the a4's to rust from the inside out. the lass from carlisle audi too photos of the car, rust and VIN number and took a thickness reading then said she'd get the details checked and sent off and also said that it has to be serviced by them before they'll look into it any further!?!

is this correct? it states no where in the service book or owners manual that it needs to be serviced by audi in order to qualify for warranty claims.

all help is greatly appreciated. :)

What about if your still in warranty, but you can tell the car has had previous paintwork done and theres slightly bubbling coming under the paintwork? would audi still be interested?

My car is a 2002 S3, i have found some bubbling on the left and right side of the roof rails. Would this still under warranty?thanks

My car is a 2002 S3, i have found some bubbling on the left and right side of the roof rails. Would this still under warranty?thanks

12year corrosion warranty, it's still within the time frame, but I reckon the car would probably need to be FSH or still within the dealer network for the claim to go through personally. No harm in turning up to enquire though....

Reactions: SteveBAM
the problem is that my car was imported from Germany to Greece in 2009 but ill give it a try anyway.. Thanks

Just had a voicemail back from Audi Bexley after a couple of months waiting for decision on small bubbling on my roof rails towards rear of car. While I was there I also pointed out bubbling on bottom of drivers wing (behind wheel), they took all pics & have now said they will offer a 70/30 split for roof rails but not the wings. Presumbly they will say the bottom of wing can be started by stone chips down there.

Just to update. They have phoned to give me goodnews lol. The dealer says Audi UK will now authorize the wings as well at 70/30 of course. My bill will now be over £500 for the whole roof, down quarters & wings etc. Was told Audi UK did do the work when Cars were newer but now offer out the kindness of their heart 70/30. So even though it's within 12yrs, Audi have moved the goal posts as the Years have rolled by.

I've got the starlings of bubbling towards the top of both rear quarters, exactly the same location on both sides. The Swansea VW body shop said any claim would be void as the paint is too thick, indicating a respray at some point. Pretty annoyed :(

So where do I start. I have avoided posting on here for hope of a simple fix.

I have found that some people have had this fully covered under warranty and some haven't. My car has Audi service history and was well within the guide lines but they still requested a 70/30 split which I paid (unfortunately). The corrosion on my roof was minimal but I thought it was best to get it rectified before it was out of warranty.

I had to pay Audi Tamworth £142 for the work carried out - they said only one side needed repairing (I was sent a document of the repair procedure which also states it is covered under the CORROSION warranty. (If someone can explain how to attach it I will).

The work to my vehicle was outsourced from Audi Tamworth to Shorade in Cannock. I collected my vehicle a week later in the rain and it looked OK. However, upon inspection I now have an area of dry lacquer where they have blown the quarter in too. Audi are insistent that I take my vehicle back to Shorade which is quite a treck for myself and not really possible given my working hours are the same as their opening hours...

Shorade are trying to say this is down to previous repair work carried out on the vehicle - to me no matter what work the car has had done if it goes in for roof corrosion repair it shouldn't come out with lower quarter lacquer dry patches.... But if I take the vehicle over to them they are willing to try to rectify the problem.

So now I am at a stand still, I have been left with a vehicle in (my opinion) worse condition than it went in with and I am not really interested in taking the car back to Shorade directly for them to fob me off with a quick mop over and not a proper job let alone the wasted fuel and time taking the car all the way to Cannock.

I am taking taking advice from Citizens Advice and will keep this updated. Ideally I want my money back and the car rectified. We will see how that plans out...

Dan