Anti-corrosion warranty results - Please post here

Audi got back in touch with me Friday to say that Audi Bristol would be in touch about booking my car in... comedy timing or what as my car is now at the workshop in bits pending the large port head transplant and new paddle clutch so I said it would have to wait until after that was done which they appear ok with...

Trouble is I will clean bits as I go in the engine bay so will lessen the impact of the complaint I guess but tbh as long as they sort the overspray and in particular the rear bumper out then I will be happy... the rest I can fix easily...

<tuffty/>

i've had Audi UK come back....apparently i can have it checked by the only approved centre in the UK in Buckinghamshire...thats my only option!!!! i am absolutely ****** off that they have paid out for so many cars yet deem mine unfit even though the paint falls within their levels of thickness....... seriously considering legal action and/or press promotion, they have effectively admitted a problem with all the other cars they have paid out for

Does anyone know what progress was made by Bantam regards to contacting trading standards/watch dog? i'm considering contacting some of the motoring press and making them aware of this issue........ but don't really want to be pushing an avenue that Bantam has already gone down

I took my car to audi today, i have bubbling on the pillar and on both wheel arches.. the man there at first said that my car (x reg) wasn't under any warranty and then he said that it wouldn't be covered near the windscreen because it would of had a new one, which in a way i can see where he is coming from. I am seeing the manager of the body shop next week, he helped me out before on my old car so im hoping he will help this time. Will let you know how it goes...

That was my point to him but to be honest it was quite obvious he wasn't interested. Would i be covered if it had a new windscreen? or is that an easy escape for them?

I took mine into Audi the other day for the bubbling on my drivers side roof rail...

I spoke to a lady who apparently covers all the warranty claims, I pleaded ignorant and said 'apparently' this is a common problem, her exact words were " let me guess Audi A3 roof rails"...

There was no fuss, she said that these claims get approved near enough straight away because they had had so many claims, she literally took a picture of the rust, mileage, number plate and measured the paint depth either side of the rust and then sent me on my way, was there 5mins...

Impressed considering when I put a claim in for my A3 "bottom of the doors" I had to wait for Audi's paint man to give it a look when he was n the region, and he checked every panel on the car for work to wriggle out of it, seems like all that is bypassed now and the lady instore deals with it, I await her call...

From how she was talking I think my car will be approved no question...

Does seem strange how some people have issues and some don't, I assume all claims go to the same head office.

Last edited:
I took mine to Audi bodyshop today and according to the guy, who dealt with my claim, Audi UK have accepted this as a common problem with the 8L A3s and are accepting all claims (as long as the paint thickness test is fine and the paint has not been damaged).

"too much bubbling" or "it's been there for too long" should not be accepted as valid reasons for refusal - mine has been there for over two years and there was a lot of paint bubbling on both sides, and it was accepted by Audi UK after I kept pushing the dealer to process the claim with Audi UK. I think that the hardest part is getting past the local warranty manager, who can stop the claim form being logged in the first place.

Anyway, really looking forward to getting my car back as the courtesy 2010 VW Polo 1.2S is seriously slow :(

I've just popped on to the forums to enquire about this, the A3 I bought 6 weeks ago has bubbling on the roof by the rail on the drivers side, it's a 1.9TDi from the year 2000 (on a W plate)

Do I speak to Audi UK or goto the local Audi dealership about this claim?

Many thanks

Jules

Jules,

I rang Ipswich Audi about the bubbling next to the roof rails, spoke to the lady who deals with warrenty repairs and she said that even Audi are sorting all these out regardless of extent of rust, as it is such a big issue. I've just got too take it into her for her to measure the paint thickness.

Sounds like body shops aren't too busy these days or they want to keep customers happy to keep with the badge !

Oh, how cynical am I ?

I've had mine in to Wearside Audi for the bottom of the passenger door, done the usual routine, checked paint thickness etc. and all was fine and the guy who done it was very helpful. I have now been informed that Audi will pay 70% but I have to pay 30% which = £110.

In my mind it is either covered by warranty or it isn't so I am not sure where this 70 / 30 thing came from or if they are just trying their luck???

Also, I have since noticed that the roof rails are starting to go on both sides so I will be taking it back and getting them to resubmit the claim for the door and the roof rails and see what happens...

Anybody else have experience of partial coverage from Audi i.e. 70 / 30???

Hi All

I will add my experience thus far.

My 01 S3 with virtually all audi history, bar one service and over £2500 spent at Audi on last two services went straight to Harold Wood Audi upon my purchasing as it had the start of bubbling on the N/S rear roof rail.

The bubbling was actually on the rear quarter panel side as opposed to the roof side of the rail. This is apparently worth being clear about in the claim. The service manager was excellent along with the warranty guy. They did the paint tests and submitted the claim. The claim is submitted electonically by e mail and at no point does the dealer have the opportunity to influence the outcome, at least not in the initial stages. I am aware many have had dialogue with Audi Uk after that stage and that does seem to be ..hard work? ..

Mine was authorised inside 14 days, and went in to Audi on 13th September. They, as is very common nowadays do not have their own bodyshop and it went to Balgores Motors in Romford which is their approved bodyshop.

I met with the audi / balgores manager and pleaded with him to look after my pride and joy etc etc.
I have spoken to them today and it is expected to be at least another two weeks due to their backlog. I saw that my car was in good company in their bodyshop, sandwiched between two DB9's several RR Sports a Bentley and Vantage!!!! Seems the bodyshop is used by the local AM dealer!

I have a 10 plate A4 2.0 TDI SLine as courtesy car and not surprisingly am very relaxed about how long it takes.

It seems that Audi will pay the repairers a fixed amount of labour and costs for this repair, ie they are told they must repaint the roof, but are not allowed to do the quarter panel; they can only blend it in. I have specifically asked they do the quarter and we have agreed that if I am unhappy we will revisit it after the finished job...

So points I think are worth noting:

The service manager and warranty guy are your best friend.;)
They have little say after the claim is processed initially as it is all electronic.
It MAY be important to be very specific on the claim as to where the rust is ie roof panel / quarter or elsewhere.
Bear in mind they do take the paint thickness measurements and will bounce it if it has had work that they deem to take it out of warranty.
Audi are trying to pay only a fixed rate for the repair now.

All in all though a great service for me on a 9 year old car. I know others have not been so fortunate, and I am sorry to hear that.:sign_unfair:
As for partial coverage never mentioned, sorry.

Now waiting to see how good or otherwise the job is!!

Oh and Thank You to the OP as if it were not for this post I would never have botherd to claim.;)

Lucky git! I took mine to the body shop to be told I had to pay insurance for a courtesy car, even then it was only a VW Polo. Not a chance I could afford to insure for such a short term on the cheap! Mines been in the body shop since Saturday. Not heard anything back yet :(

Lucky git! I took mine to the body shop to be told I had to pay insurance for a courtesy car, even then it was only a VW Polo. Not a chance I could afford to insure for such a short term on the cheap! Mines been in the body shop since Saturday. Not heard anything back yet :(

I got a polo also, but didn't have to pay for the insurance - seems odd that they are making you pay for this.

does anyone have an email for AudiUK...i feel this is my only option now to send them the link to this thread....had word back from their approved firm who want £145 off me to come and check the car out, refunded on acceptable claim..... cheeky sods

mine went in to swansea audi aproved bodyshop yesterday. took it to them a few weeks ago and they took photos, wrote out a claim and sent it to audi. heard back within a week and had it booked in. had a polo tdi as a coutesy car :( no go in it but does handle like a go kart! i did have to insure it myself also.

I got a polo also, but didn't have to pay for the insurance - seems odd that they are making you pay for this.

Thought that, it doesn't bother me that it was a Polo. I was more pointing out that I couldn't afford to insure even a car like a Polo for such a short period :p What made it worse was I wasn't told this until I went to drop the car off! Waste of a trip that costs almost £30 in fuel :(

Dear All,

I had a very constructive conversation with Richard Starkey (Audi UK Customer Care Manager) this morning about the roof rail warranty issue. I would like to thank him personally for the time he has taken to examine this issue, and for his offer to co-ordinate a review of refused warranty claims on behalf of the members of ASN.

Richard has agreed that Audi UK will re-examine all of the roof rail anti-corrosion warranty claims that ASN members have had refused, to ensure that decisions have been made on a consistent and reasonable basis. He will NOT guarantee that there will be a positive outcome for all concerned, but each case WILL be re-examined. He has stressed to me that Audi UK are trying to ensure that these warranty decisions are made on a consistent and justifiable basis and that Audi service centres handle claims accordingly.

I had offered to supply the details of the individuals concerned, but I have been told that due to data protection issues that each claimant must contact Richard individually in order to initiate this review. If you are a member of ASN and have posted details of a refused roof rail anti-corrosion warranty claim in this thread and wish to have your claim re-examined could you please do the following;

(1) e-mail Richard Starkey (Audi UK Customer Care Manager) at Richard.starkey@audi.co.uk

(2) title the e-mail “Audi-sport.net roof rail warranty claim re-examination”

(3) include your name and contact details, vehicle registration, details of local Audi service centre to which the original claim was presented, and also details of the date of the claim and reason given for refusal, if you have them.

(4) PLEASE BE POLITE AND NON-CONFRONTATIONAL IN YOUR DEALINGS WITH RICHARD - WE ARE FAR MORE LIKELY TO GET A CONSTRUCTIVE RESPONSE IN THIS WAY.

Richard indicated that Audi will probably be able to review recent claims via photographs and details taken at the time of the original claim, although there may be a need for some owners to re-present their vehicles, for example if photos taken are not good enough or the claim was made sometime ago. He has assured me that they will attempt to ensure that there is consistency of decision and basis of decision across all of these refused cases.

I genuinely believe from the conversation that I have had with Richard this morning that Audi UK will seriously re-examine these warranty refusals. I did stress that many ASN members have had seemingly similar claims (verifiable by photos taken by owners at the time of claim) approved, and that we are therefore seeking consistency in decision and basis of decision between approved and refused claims. Richard agreed that Audi UK should seek to achieve this.

Lastly, could I ask everyone who does e-mail Richard regarding their roof rail warranty claim refusal to send me a private message to that effect, and when the time comes to let me know the outcome of their individual review. I will audit individual outcomes so that we can monitor the collective outcome of this process for ASN members, and of course will communicate this to everyone concerned.

Best wishes,

B (Jonathan)

As this was posted on page 3, i know i missed it until Bantam pm'd me...for reference

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL: 1999 1.8T Sport

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Bubbling of the paint found on the outside of the passenger and driver side roof rail. Rust hadn't broken through the paint.

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: 9 Months

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 3 months

DEALER APPROACHED: Ipswich Audi

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), REASON FOR REFUSAL:

APPROVED :)

DATE OF (attempted) CLAIM: October 2010

Courtesy car 1.0, 3 cylinder, automatic, lilac coloured LILAC!!! Nissan Pixo, hatefull thing.

Hi All,

Hope i can pick your brains on this paint/body guarantee.

I have bubbling on the rear of my 2001 A3 T Sport, on the 'panel' that the boot lock is on.

I also have rust forming on the passenger side rear arch.

There is also rust forming on the inner side of the tip of the door, Audi have previously dealt with this but it looks to have been bodged as the rust is coming through again.

Could you guys please confirm how long the warranty is for paintwork, I know above it is mentioned as 12 years, is this the case, so I would still have a valid right to claim?

Apologies if this question has been asked lots but I just want to make sure I'm armed with the correct info before storming my local Audi dealer (wolverhampton)

Cheers for any help/advice, much appreciated! :)

I might give this a go!

I have bubbling on roof near the rails on both sides :sadlike:

I will report back with the outcome :icon_thumright:

ive just contacted Audi cust services again via the info above after my dealer refused and Audi UK only offered part payment. The dealer rang me this week to take it back for further pictures to be analysed further by cust servs

fingers crossed

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL: 1999 S3

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Bubbling of the paint found on the outside of the passenger and driver side roof rail. Rust has not broken through the paint. Multiple bubbles coming through the rear wheel arches low down in front of the rear wheels (both sides). Bubbles coming through the lower door skin between lower edge and horizontal trim. All bubbles are clearly coming through from the inside as the paint is not broken - apart from the one that pinged off during the car wash which allerted me to the problem.

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: I recently noticed the trouble when a 1/2" round paint bubble came off whilst washing the car. A close inspection revealed the extent of the trouble.

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 1 year
DEALER APPROACHED: Manchester Audi

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), REASON FOR REFUSAL: Currently ongoing.

The dealer first suggested that visually the paintwork had "obviously been resprayed" and was not original but that in any case I'd need to get it properly assessed by their approved body shop Car Cosmetics. So I went straight round there. Paint readings were taken at around 120 microns all over and declared to be original paintwork. Emails and photographs were sent to the Manchester Audi and after several phone calls to find out what was happening I was asked to come in again to get some more pictures taken. More paint readings were taken at around the same 120 microns accept for some around the roof edge at 134 microns.

As I understand it, those readings are pretty standard but something over 150 microns may be used by Audi to suggest a respray has been done. I think a proper resray would likely double the paint depth in reality and in any case - even in the factory the car can be resprayed due to damage or there may be operator error which ends up causing thicker paint. But how do you prove that? They also asked to see my service history - not sure what that's got to do with it. Also, what difference does it make if, for example, the roof rail problem has been left for a while before being reported? It still started which it shouldn't! It's not as if the paint is perforated and unclear where it started. We know that starts at the weld seam below. We'll see what happens.

DATE OF (attempted) CLAIM: July 2010

Audi CS have now agreed to do the roof corrosion 100% but have apparently insisted that the other panels are put in on separate claims which Manchester Audi were trying to keep on one claim. Audi CS have also said that the corrosion on the doors and wheel arches have started from the outside through stone chip damage. This I believe not to be the case as the paint had bubbled without any stone chip paint perforation. I made this point to Manchester Audi and they said that the only thing they could do was to grind off the paint bubbles and see if there was perforation of the metal from the inside - then re-submit photographs to Audi CS. The car is booked in November 2nd. That's four months from initial claim and plenty of phone calls.

John, the reason they gave me was zinc incursion.....i have since had one of the fronts of my rear arches done, the chap removed the arch liner to check behind and found nothing, then DA'd the area and still found nothing, just the paint lifting. I've given up on the other arch and am settling for the roof.

Just this minute back from Audi after having some more photos took presumebly due to the bodywork done since.... hopefully this will be agreed.

To add a bit more it turns out the 'long shot' which is the misus car, which has had bodywork all the way around (i think), well half of it has been approved, the dealer is working on getting the whole lot approved as he thinks they have made a mistake in only approving one side.

So all in all im hopeful that both my S3 and her A3 will be fully done soon

Just got my car back last week after having the roof rails done,

Balgore guarantee there work for 3 years...

I recently saw my old A3 for sale on eBay, the description said and had pictures of the drivers door rusting, I had that door approved by audi and repaired by balgores in the last 5 years, so to see that the rust has come back so quickly isn't overly reassuring :(

I'm pretty happy with the job on the S3 though, what I would advise though that if or when your car gies in for work to the roof suggest the body shop put a new base on for the ariel because mine wasn't done and now looks more perished than ever because it's been tampered with.

I asked the bloke why they didn't chuck a new one on and he said that audi only permit bare minimum work to be carried out which doesn't include this rubber, not impressed, I mean it must be about 50p fir that rubber, I said had I known that I'd of paid myself to have a new one put on :(

So just consider mentioning it when your car does go in

glad you have it done matey, hope it holds better than your A3 did

IIRC the rubbers come in a kit with the base unit, cost me £30 from Vagparts when they were open, although since heard of a kit from Audi....£20 mark IIRC

glad you have it done matey, hope it holds better than your A3 did

IIRC the rubbers come in a kit with the base unit, cost me £30 from Vagparts when they were open, although since heard of a kit from Audi....£20 mark IIRC

Cheers mate,

The bloke did show me how to change it if I wanted and said if I got the part and bought the car back he'd fit it for me to which I thought was pretty decent...

Fingers crossed you get yours sorted out to matey, takes the **** really...

Audi CS have now agreed to do the roof corrosion 100% but have apparently insisted that the other panels are put in on separate claims which Manchester Audi were trying to keep on one claim. Audi CS have also said that the corrosion on the doors and wheel arches have started from the outside through stone chip damage. This I believe not to be the case as the paint had bubbled without any stone chip paint perforation. I made this point to Manchester Audi and they said that the only thing they could do was to grind off the paint bubbles and see if there was perforation of the metal from the inside - then re-submit photographs to Audi CS. The car is booked in November 2nd. That's four months from initial claim and plenty of phone calls.

I just had an interesting phone call about my S3. They are doing the roof 100% anyway. They have had a look at the rear wheel arches and say that "it's not come through" i.e. it's a paint defect. This surprises me as I can't see how a cluster of smooth domed bubbles should appear with no paint damage pinhole or chip mark - just perfectly smooth domes - a cluster of them in the same area, down in the rear quarter, near the sill (as is a known problem as mud collects behind there), without the explanation being rust having come through from the inside pinholing through the metal.

But they said, good news; in that as the paint shop have to blend in the paint when doing the roof anyway they will be painting over this area anyway (What? All the way down to the sill? :ohmy: ). I said, but they'd have to be filling the holes with MIG weld and applying proper rust proofing and paint both sides, to which the reply was; they would be doing a proper job. Hmmm...

They said, about the bubbles through the doors, that since they've got the pant in the guns and have the car prepared anyway, they would do this for £250. Again I've got the same issue with smooth domed bubbles apparently with no external paint damage, apart from one on the lower edge of the door on the fold over, which has come all the way through and taken some of the metal out. Yesterday the body shop told me that sort of repair would need a new door skin. So again I made the point that it would need to be done properly with proper rust proofing inside and outside and again the reply was; it would be done properly - not simply painted over but corrected to approved Audi standards. :ohmy: Hmmm...

I said I'd ponder it. I may have a look on the way home :eyebrows:

good luck with it John....

I have just this morning had mine booked in, not entirely chuffed as i have to drive to the main dealer for my courtesy car and someone will then drive mine the length of Sheffield to the bodyshop... i suppose they will pay if any damages occur :)

Well I had a look into the body shop on the way home and learned something.

I spoke to the paint shop and they explained that sometimes, microscopic pinholes in the paint due to stones etc., which are too small to see with the naked eye, can allow water to penetrate under the paint, especially when a pressure washer is used. There can then be a chemical reaction which causes the paint to part company with the galvalised body pannel and a bubble can form. He said that if he were to scrape off the bubbles then a clean non rusty galvanised panel would be seen undrneath. He said this happens with Audis - unlike non-galvalised Fords (which I'm used to) where the presence of a bubble usually indicates through rust and traces of rust will have crept much further.

He said what he was going to do was to shot blast off the bubbles in preparation to the blending in of the pait from the roof. On the S3 there is a flat panel all the way down on the rear quarter, so that's why it was necessary to paint all the way down - it being metalic paint - and there was no point in not preparing and treating the bubbled area, because if they just painted over, then it wouldn't last and the job would come back in in a year's time. And because of it being a flat rear quarter, they would would then have to paint all the way up and paint the roof again! - So it was best to do it properly the first time.

He said that when he shot blasts it, any through corrosion will obviously show and then it would be MIG brazed (not welded) and then a marine spec red oxide used for anti corrosion, followed by the usual primer etc., to the Audi spec inside and outside.

As regards the doors, he suspects the bubbles are the same thing but will find out for sure when blasting. The definite rust at the door's bottom edge fold will be shot blasted and MIG brazed as before but the inside of the door can be inspected to see if the corrosion started from within.

So having heard and seen that I was happy with the process. I must admit the bubbles without rust was a new one on me. I think it highlights the importance of keeping the paintwork waxed. Has anyone else come across this?

i went for both arches when i submitted my original claim, Audi said it was zinc penetration caused by a build up of fall out....

when one side got sprayed the old chap took the wheel arch out to see from behind, nothing...then DA'd the area and found sod all, nothing, zilch, nada....so just primed and sprayed over it. I've given up on the other side

personally i think its extremely odd how the bubbles form a near perfect quarter circle at the bottom of the rear arches......on both sides and thats the only areas on the entire car

Last edited:
Visited Audi in Nottingham yesterday, they said that my paint thickness is too much which means that it must have been resprayed, is there anyway i cans till get thi covered on warranty? or at least find out if it was an Audi dealer that did it originally? would love to get it sorted but just dont have the cash to do it off my own back!

Audi have a specific thickness that they assume was on from standard...although when someone tested mine first they checked the thickness on an edge which would give a skewed reading therefore invalidating tehir own claim. Personally i'd find someone with a micrometer and get it done yourself so you know if its contestable

Visited Audi in Nottingham yesterday, they said that my paint thickness is too much which means that it must have been resprayed, is there anyway i cans till get thi covered on warranty? or at least find out if it was an Audi dealer that did it originally? would love to get it sorted but just dont have the cash to do it off my own back!

If you are talking roof rail rust then my paint was really thick due to respraying and they still did it. They just use this, and the apparent need for a full Audi Service history which again I don't have, to try and thin the claims I think. They started off quite dismissive, but once you start telling them about all the other cases that you know off and how your rust is in an identical place to that on the huge number of photos of other cars you seen they will hopefully soon realise you aren't going to be fobbed off.

You do need to make sure that the garage submits the claim to Audi Uk, it certainly isn't up to your local stealer to decided what gets done and doesn't. If they refuse, or if Audi Uk don't help, then there is contact info for the relevant people at the start of the thread.

Great thread this!

Had a good look through the thread and see some mention of other threads regarding this issue but cant find them.

I would like to know what details I should arm myself with prior to visiting my local dealers (Worthing, Sussex) as both rails near the C pillar have small surface rust on my S3. I only got it on Sunday and used the rust as a bargining tool with the seller but if there is a chance to get this fixed under warranty that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Alex

Great thread this!

Had a good look through the thread and see some mention of other threads regarding this issue but cant find them.

I would like to know what details I should arm myself with prior to visiting my local dealers (Worthing, Sussex) as both rails near the C pillar have small surface rust on my S3. I only got it on Sunday and used the rust as a bargining tool with the seller but if there is a chance to get this fixed under warranty that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Alex
The car is under bodywork guarantee (providing it's less than 12 years old), you are entitled to have it done for free whether or not you have service history. Good luck.

nothing to arm yourself with, just mention you know of several people who have had successful claims as it is widely regarded as an ongoing issue, best keeping the warranty man as ya mate too......so be nice :)