Anti-corrosion warranty results - Please post here

Is/ should mileage be a factor in deciding about the warranty? I've been refused from listers Coventry. Part with age ( just under 12yrs) and secondly mileage 120,000. Been offered my "contribution" of £300. Does this sound about right?

Mileage shouldn't be a factor, age is the most important one, but I guess north of 150k miles, it's understandable that they would use that as leverage against you.
£300 goodwill huh, so how much do you have to pay? I reckon you could get it done yourself elsewhere for £300 max? The car is no longer under warranty anyways @12 years old...

Jo it'll be 12 years old in a week or so that's why I went to listers before it expired. They said it was likely perforation not bubbling and that the warranty was not a paint one, that only lasts 3 years. I was also told mileage was a big factor. £300 was the offer that was given in the sense that if I take it out with them then I'd have to contribute £300 to the paint job.

Their excuses are totally inconsistent, the only constant here is that regardless of age, mileage or even how it's been serviced, they will bully and say no and ask you to pay 30% of a highly inflated original repair bill. £300-£400 should cover the full repair, therefore it costs Audi nothing, you are paying the full bill if you go the Audi route; unless you insist on them carrying out the full VAG repair to BOTH roof rails as outlined in the Group Services bulletin. This is an extensive repair but as most don't have access to this bulletin they seem to be carrying out the minimum repair but billing the customer the same.

Personally I have been persuing this for the last 18 months and recently threatened legal action which has been successful in at least one previous case. Despite this they still insist on the 70% goodwill gesture without actually proving the cause which, in my case, they state is a paint issue caused by the cover strip snapping into place and compromising the paint finish. This would have happened at the factory and IMO couldn't be proven unless they removed the strips to fully investigate. My other argument it that as the body has been galvanised then it still shouldn't corrode, even if there were no paint on the vehicle. They still play hard ball and will use their clout to call your bluff. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I have reached the end of my quest as when I started this process I explained that I would be looking to replace my vehicle with a new one. Well that time has come and I'm expecting delivery of my new car next week, and guess what.... it ain't an Audi. I will use every opportunity to dissuade anyone from spending money with Audi as I consider them to be a complete shower of 5hite. BMW might not be any better, but they're a better alternative to Audi IMO whom I will never give another penny to. Of course I have let them know this.

If anyone would like a copy of the repair bulletin, please email me through my website below and I will send the PDF, it's a large file though.

HOME TOWN - Manchester
YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE - 2002 Audi S3
DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Both sides of roof where rail insert is located, on the edges.
TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - 1 month
HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 1 year 3 months
DEALER APPROACHED - Audi Manchester
OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - Approved on 70/30 basis, I had to pay £149.
REASON FOR REFUSAL - N/A
DATE OF CLAIM - Sept 2012

Don't say its the roof rails, as this is not part of the chassis Audi will try fob you off, make sure you state its the part of the roof.
Audi took pictures of mine and sent them to Audi HQ for approval.

I spoke to the paint shop (Audi Approved - Parkway Prestige) and they said they strip it back to bare metal, remove corrosion, treat it, then paint it back up. They had done a good job on mine.

Your link doesn't work, but would you be able to email the bulletin to me?

jarrodm@hotmail.co.uk

I have just met my first bit of resistance, off the bat saying Audi no longer offer a full repair but do a 70/30 good will.

That's not a link, it's just the way this forum does it.

Anyway, document sent ;-)

If anyone wants a copy of the repair prcedure please email me through my website below, as requested, as I shan't be coming on here any more in the future as my Audi has now been sold in favour of a new BMW :) but I'm happy to help anyone to give Audi a hard time!!

Took my 2001 70k mile S3 to Poole Audi a couple of weeks ago. The warranty lady checked the roof with a paint depth meter and sent photos off to Audi UK.
They have agreed to do the roof with the 70/30 agreement, but said that it would need to have had its last service done by Audi.....the last service was not done by Audi. However, and not surprisingly, they said I could have a service done by them, then they would still do the roof.

So the car is going in next Friday for a basic oil and filter change and the coil packs will be done at the same time free of charge. Then on Monday it will have the roof done.

Basic oil and filter change £149
30% roof repair cost £310

I went and got an independent quote from a trusted body shop I know and they would charge £759 to do the roof.

I must remember to take the door strips off and check for rust there before it goes to Audi..!

Is that legal? I would get advise as to whether they can make you do that. Sounds to me like that would be a bit naughty. You either warranty it or not. I would get that checked out.

I did think it was a bit of a urine extraction but where would I check that sort of thing?

I did think it was a bit of a urine extraction but where would I check that sort of thing?
I would take what you can,read this thread in its entirety and you can see that some accept and some don't for different reason.

I agree Voorhees, I have previously read the entire thread and concluded that even though I thought the service clause was a bit of a joke, I shouldn't kick up a fuss as many others have been refused and it would cost me more to get it done elsewhere.

the thing that gets me is the car comes with a 12 year body warranty, it shouldnt matter is its 11 and a half weeks old or 11 and a half years old, the funny thing is most bodyshops would only charge you £300 to repair and respray your roof, i thinks them using the goodwill angle makes it look like they are doing YOU a favour, ITS UNDER WARRANTY they should cover it in full

Also when I quoted a service at Audi it was expensive and I bought the parts from them and saved about £100 or more. They charge about £150 per hour labour, so they are extracting even more money out of you.

HOME TOWN - Retford
YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE - 2002 Audi A3
DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - One side of roof where rail insert is located, on the edges about 12 inches along the roof. paint not cracked
TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - 1 months
HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 5 months
DEALER APPROACHED - Audi Doncaster
OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - Approved on 70/30 basis, I had to pay £311.
REASON FOR REFUSAL - N/A
DATE OF CLAIM - Nov 12

So today my car came back painted. It would appear both roof rails have been replaced and re sealed, and at least one rear panel and part of the roof painted, but weather is bad so hard to check properly right now.
Free courtesy car: A5 cab TFSI, later swapped to A3 sline tdi. Poor communication throughout the work being carried out, promised updates didnt happen, but apparently voicemails were left on my mobile which doesnt have a voicemail!

However, ther rear quarter had some 'extra' paint applied to correct a carpark dink before i owned it. The local body shop would have done the same job for the same £310, but would not garentee the rust wouldnt return.
Audi warrenty this work for 1 year.

Overall pleased with the outcome, its a 10 year old car, its far from perfect.

Regarding the 70/30, the warranty offered states that the defect should be reported immediately to be covered. Clearly the previous owner had neglected to notify audi, and it took me a while to actually realise this would be warranty covered. So whislt I'd like to give audi hell, I feel I will get nowhere purely on this basis, so happy to have paid for it to be done.

Hello all... I am taking up the gauntlet on this obviously well-known fault now. I am the proud owner of a gorgeous 2002 BAM 1.8t S3. I too, of course, noticed the bubbling along the roof rails. Here is the story so far...

HOME TOWN
- Portsmouth
DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Both roof rails where joining to pillars, not on the actual roof itself.
TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - 1 week
HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 6 months
DEALER APPROACHED - Audi Portsmouth
OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - Approved on 70/30 basis, I was quoted £153 to have it fixed
REASON FOR REFUSAL - "Paint defect warranty only lasts for 3 years"

There's the basics, but after sitting on this quote which expires in late December and doing some more reading online, I realised I have been brushed off. Reading back through all of the threads on this site and others, Audi owners were getting this fault sorted for absolutely nothing!!!! What's changed?! My 12 year Body Protection warranty is still in force! I took the car to Audi within a month or two of buying it privately for a free Health Check and to have some recall work done on the coilpacks. From their records they said even the previous owner had some work done at Audi garages and brought parts from the official network. I asked about the bubbling on the roof and they said they would send out the person that deals with warranty claims. When asked what the initial problem was, the lad said "Oh right, we see that all the time on the 8L chassis models!". So, it's pretty well known to front line staff that's for sure.

The lady came out, had a look, took some snaps and said she would send these off to Audi. Within a week I had been contacted by the local VAG repair centre in Southampton and they asked me to bring it up for some more detailed photographs. The lad that came out from there, when looking around the car, said spouting about a paint job. The guy I brought the car from said nothing of the sort, and there was no paperwork in the logbook to suggest it had any paintwork changes. There were receipts in there from day zero. He said he "wouldn't mention it" in the paperwork. How kind.

So, I received a letter that said my claim had been refused as the Paintwork warranty only lasts 3 years. I specifically said at Audi, and VAG repairs, that I wanted to claim under the BODY PROTECTION warranty.... it is corroding from the inside out. I replied to VAG and pointed this out, stating I wanted this to be reconsidered. I then received a reply from the general manager stating the following:-

“All current Volkswagen vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against through corrosion for 12 years from the date of first registration.” The issue with your vehicle is not through corrosion , basically from the inside out . Without getting too engulfed in VW terminology the issue with your vehicle is “Edge & fold rust , “ it’s at the point where the roof panel meets the side panels and as such would only be covered under the three year paint warranty which has of course expired . Audi however is aware of this problem on some models and I believe it is for that reason a 70% contribution has been offered by VW group as a good will gesture ."

I sat on this explanation for 6 weeks and it didn't sit right with me. I had read a number of forums whereby the problem appears to be faulty roof guttering, and it is the rail itself rusting from the inside causing these blisters. Is this correct? It is little wonder from just photographs that it looks this way. Why then, is it occurring on an overwhelming majority of A3/S3 8L models? This must be a design fault or manufacturing fault.

I took the initiative today, after finding an invoice of a gent who got his TT repaired under the body protection warranty in Manchester for replacing the roof guttering/rails and a repaint. I contacted Audi UK today who were excellent on the phone and will be contacted tomorrow once someone has been assigned to my case. I have been asked to provide them with the invoice copy and expressed my dissatisfaction at how someone can judge the cause of corrosion from a single set of photographs. I made the Customer Service Assistant aware that I was certain this was a roof guttering problem (again, apparently stating "rails" gets you nowhere whereas "guttering" is classed as part of the bodywork.... terminology semantics).

I will simply not be accepting being fobbed off by Audi. I adore the cars, the build quality is excellent and the engines are superb. Their customer service appears to be completely polarising, akin to a postcode lottery. Given that my entire close family are Audi customers, and some of their more prestigious models at that, I may remind them of such.

I will let you know how I get on.

Stay safe!!

SHiNK

Good sleuthing SHiNK! :icon_thumright:

Mine is being inspected on Friday, when I have my coil-pack recall and free health check performed.

Do you guys think this may influence my claim: My car needs some attention to the paint on other parts of the bodywork (slight lacquer peel by the rear arches and a ham-fisted repair to the n/s wing-mirror cowling) - both of which I will be addressing in due course.

(Good excuse for alloy mirror cowls? :whistle2:)

Last edited:
My 2002 A3 is going in again tomorrow for Inspection, as the Corrosion has now come back in the same place for the THIRD time!! This is over 4 years now. The First two times, the work has been carried out Totally Free of Charge. I will push for the same tomorrow. Im not too sure but i believe any Warranty Repair work is Guaranteed for 3 Years from the point of the work being done??

Guys, from what I can gather, Audi will simply try to slither out of this in any way possible. Paying £150+ covers all of their costs, let's be honest...

I had my call back from Audi UK today.... DENIED. "Paintwork warranty expires after 3 years" the girl told me. I then politely reminded her that at no point had I ever initiated a paintwork claim and this was actually part of the reason I contacted Audi UK directly! This is what I was brushed off with by the authorised VAG repairs centre!!! When I pointed this out to them, I got that rubbish blue e-mail response from the manager about "Edge and fold rust", which was repeated parrot fashion by the young lady on the phone. I just refused to accept her answer, at which point she said "Well this is our final offer and nothing else will be done for you..."

I was pretty blown away by how abrupt, unapologetic and final this young lady was.

I then asked her to confirm on the phone whether or not corroding roof guttering was covered under the Body Protection Warranty. She then told me "I'm not going to confirm anything for you sir. I am just repeating what I have been informed." She wouldn't even find out for me.

I then asked her why Audi used to fix this issue off-the-bat, with no questions asked 2-3 years ago but now simply offer "goodwill" contribution repairs. I pointed out there are lots of Audi Owner forums full to bursting point with people experiencing IDENTICAL problems with the same model vehicles. I even offered to send her an invoice of work carried out in Manchester on a TT with an identical problem under the Body Protection Warranty. She then pointed out to me, that "Owners Forums" are simply "opinions of the users" and "Audi deal with warranty claims on a case by case basis".

It was obvious she didn't know what she was talking about, technically, and had no power to make any decisions. Despite her refusal to escalate my complaint, she said "my manager will simply tell you exactly the same" at which point I said "well then, can I please speak with them?". I've got a voicemail from a manager at Audi UK to ring tomorrow to take this further.

Good luck people. I may even get Trading Standards involved here, it's ridiculous... 4 weeks old or 11 and a half years old, a warranty is a warranty. Also, I have evidence that there is acknowledgement of the problem on behalf of Audi.... they know this is a problem with their 8L models!! Changing stances on warranty claims, or not fulfilling them, is illegal. If I get no joy from Mr Manager I have nothing to lose...! Let's see if they want to deal with an irate loyal customer who teaches business and consumer law? If Audi have ever repaired a single A3/S3 under the Body Protection Warranty (which we know they have), the car has had no independent paintjob and the corrosion is not caused by external damage, they are simply OBLIGED TO REPAIR OUR VEHICLES. It is a MANUFACTURING FAULT. If your iPhone suddenly started to fall apart at the seams, you would NOT accept Apple telling you to stump up £60 and they'd stump up the other £120? Absolutely, same, difference.

If you ask me, their 12 year body protection warranty is an absolute own goal for 'em, that has probably been excacerbated by their quest for ever soaring profits and the constant downward pressure on costs, resulting in ever increasing numbers of defects within a 12 year period. You made your bed Audi, sleep in it.

SHiNK

Last edited:
This makes interesting reading people (if you're a geek like me!)

The Office of Fair Trading's report on Car Warranties from 2006. Interesting to note that in it, the necessity to have your car serviced at franchised outlets was ruled to be against the consumer's interest, and was dropped by the industry as a pre-requisite to validate a warranty claim. The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders changed their Code of Conduct to reflect this change. Yes, you can get your car repaired at your local bodyshop and it does not affect your warranty. At all.

Anyone that got their claim blown out of the water because of this, or you didn't bother chasing them because you thought you would get denied, get back on the blower!!!

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/about_oft/oft852.pdf

Enjoy!

SHiNK

Reactions: A19quattro
Hello all... I am taking up the gauntlet on this obviously well-known fault now. I am the proud owner of a gorgeous 2002 BAM 1.8t S3. I too, of course, noticed the bubbling along the roof rails. Here is the story so far...

HOME TOWN
- Portsmouth
DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Both roof rails where joining to pillars, not on the actual roof itself.
TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - 1 week
HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 6 months
DEALER APPROACHED - Audi Portsmouth
OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - Approved on 70/30 basis, I was quoted £153 to have it fixed
REASON FOR REFUSAL - "Paint defect warranty only lasts for 3 years"

There's the basics, but after sitting on this quote which expires in late December and doing some more reading online, I realised I have been brushed off. Reading back through all of the threads on this site and others, Audi owners were getting this fault sorted for absolutely nothing!!!! What's changed?! My 12 year Body Protection warranty is still in force! I took the car to Audi within a month or two of buying it privately for a free Health Check and to have some recall work done on the coilpacks. From their records they said even the previous owner had some work done at Audi garages and brought parts from the official network. I asked about the bubbling on the roof and they said they would send out the person that deals with warranty claims. When asked what the initial problem was, the lad said "Oh right, we see that all the time on the 8L chassis models!". So, it's pretty well known to front line staff that's for sure.

The lady came out, had a look, took some snaps and said she would send these off to Audi. Within a week I had been contacted by the local VAG repair centre in Southampton and they asked me to bring it up for some more detailed photographs. The lad that came out from there, when looking around the car, said spouting about a paint job. The guy I brought the car from said nothing of the sort, and there was no paperwork in the logbook to suggest it had any paintwork changes. There were receipts in there from day zero. He said he "wouldn't mention it" in the paperwork. How kind.

So, I received a letter that said my claim had been refused as the Paintwork warranty only lasts 3 years. I specifically said at Audi, and VAG repairs, that I wanted to claim under the BODY PROTECTION warranty.... it is corroding from the inside out. I replied to VAG and pointed this out, stating I wanted this to be reconsidered. I then received a reply from the general manager stating the following:-

“All current Volkswagen vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against through corrosion for 12 years from the date of first registration.” The issue with your vehicle is not through corrosion , basically from the inside out . Without getting too engulfed in VW terminology the issue with your vehicle is “Edge & fold rust , “ it’s at the point where the roof panel meets the side panels and as such would only be covered under the three year paint warranty which has of course expired . Audi however is aware of this problem on some models and I believe it is for that reason a 70% contribution has been offered by VW group as a good will gesture ."

I sat on this explanation for 6 weeks and it didn't sit right with me. I had read a number of forums whereby the problem appears to be faulty roof guttering, and it is the rail itself rusting from the inside causing these blisters. Is this correct? It is little wonder from just photographs that it looks this way. Why then, is it occurring on an overwhelming majority of A3/S3 8L models? This must be a design fault or manufacturing fault.

I took the initiative today, after finding an invoice of a gent who got his TT repaired under the body protection warranty in Manchester for replacing the roof guttering/rails and a repaint. I contacted Audi UK today who were excellent on the phone and will be contacted tomorrow once someone has been assigned to my case. I have been asked to provide them with the invoice copy and expressed my dissatisfaction at how someone can judge the cause of corrosion from a single set of photographs. I made the Customer Service Assistant aware that I was certain this was a roof guttering problem (again, apparently stating "rails" gets you nowhere whereas "guttering" is classed as part of the bodywork.... terminology semantics).

I will simply not be accepting being fobbed off by Audi. I adore the cars, the build quality is excellent and the engines are superb. Their customer service appears to be completely polarising, akin to a postcode lottery. Given that my entire close family are Audi customers, and some of their more prestigious models at that, I may remind them of such.

I will let you know how I get on.

Stay safe!!

SHiNK

Did they send you to harwoods in southampton.

Ive just had mine done by them. 70/30 for the roof rails, i paid £228, but i wasn,t happy as i had to have the drivers side painted 3 times and the passenger side painted 2 times, and i had to fight them to paid it the 3rd time. had to pay £150 for a paint inspection to get them to rework it, although they did pay me back.

Also due to this they painted the lower part of my doors which had what audi call zinc inclusion, and some rust spots, harwoods got audi to pay 50% and harwoods paid the other 50%.

So i cant really so to many bad things about them as the work they did on the doors and the lower quarter panels. was a total of £1100.

Just if you do get a problem with them speak to Stew (the manager) not Graham (the assistant manager).

Reactions: Shinkansen
HOME TOWN - Guildford
DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Both sides of the roof, on the outer edges of the roof gutters, towards the rear >> n/s = 6" long | o/s = 3" long.
TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - 4 days (my entire ownership up to this point!).
HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 4 days.
DEALER APPROACHED - Colbornes Audi Guildford.
OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - Approved -in principle- on a good-will basis, though go-ahead is awaiting feedback from Audi UK.
REASON FOR REFUSAL - [Will update in due course].
DATE OF CLAIM - November 30th 2012.

While I was in having my coil packs replaced (recall), I was told -"off the record"- that Audi have a pot of funds set aside for good-will gestures to resolve this problem. When I asked about honouring the 12-year Body Protection Warranty, the rep responded with, I don't actually know.

Will update when I've had a response from AUK.

EDIT: Just had a look in the back of the service manual (page 36) and found this:

"Audi dealers give a bodywork and paintwork guarantee on Audi cars sold by them. This provides:

- 3 years' guarantee from the date of delivery against paintwork defects, and
- 12 years' guarantee from the date of delivery against rust perforation in the body-work.

In the unlikely event that your car has this type of damage, it will be repaired free of parts & labour charges, by any Audi dealer.
"

Bearing in mind the above, asking for a contribution is taking the p*ss.

Last edited:
Did they send you to harwoods in southampton.

Ive just had mine done by them. 70/30 for the roof rails, i paid £228, but i wasn,t happy as i had to have the drivers side painted 3 times and the passenger side painted 2 times, and i had to fight them to paid it the 3rd time. had to pay £150 for a paint inspection to get them to rework it, although they did pay me back.

Also due to this they painted the lower part of my doors which had what audi call zinc inclusion, and some rust spots, harwoods got audi to pay 50% and harwoods paid the other 50%.

So i cant really so to many bad things about them as the work they did on the doors and the lower quarter panels. was a total of £1100.

Just if you do get a problem with them speak to Stew (the manager) not Graham (the assistant manager).

Thank you Rhys, yes, Hardwoods in Southampton. Despite them "quoting" me £158 for the work on a 70/30 basis, for a refused PAINTWORK Warranty, which I never requested, I'm inclined to believe that this is just for one side. There is only an explicit mention to the O/S in the quote I received. I have the service bulletin now which instructs the dealerships to do BOTH sides, even if only one is showing signs of bubbling. This is itself is a complete admission of guilt. I am no doubt in for a little surprise when I arrive and the figure gets doubled, or increased!

Rhys, how much did you originally have to pay for both roof gutters/rails and the associated damaged paintwork from Harwoods? £228? I am literally going to book it in the next day or two. I do not have enough time or resolve to battle this out whilst my poor S3 rusts away to nothing... I work 70+ hour weeks. If you would rather PM me that's fine. I am not wanting to pay over £228 for the exact same job on the exact same car for the exact same reason at the exact same frigging place!!!!!

SHiNK

Ben,

Good luck! Unless you are prepared, as some forum users have done, to take this the legal route you will be stonewalled by dealerships, bodyshops and Audi UK.

To be fair there's almost enough complaints about this issue to form a class action lawsuit!

SHiNK

Yea i paid £226.08 I believe, or there about, for both sides. Plus the price they quote is excluding vat as I was quoted around the £190 mark and got surprised when they said £226, just to let you know.

Im not too fussed about the price due to all the extra work I ending up having done. But now it's all done.

Last edited:
Yea i paid £226.08 I believe, or there about, for both sides. Plus the price they quote is excluding vat as I was quoted around the £190 mark and got surprised when they said £226, just to let you know.

Im not too fussed about the price due to all the extra work I ending up having done. But now it's all done.

Well, I've dropped it off and she's being given some serious attention. Been quoted less than you paid Ben, but I will wait until I pick it up before I count my chickens. I even double checked before booking it in, and they were adamant that £158 was for BOTH roof gutterings. That includes VAT, as stated on my estimate. Hmmm.

I've also asked them to see to another flaking patch of paintwork on the passenger door, which I am paying for, as they quoted me a good price for the repainting of the door! I assume (and I was hoping that) they use the "discounted materials" such as the paint, from the 30:70 warranty claim to use on this full-cost job. Everyone wins!

Will let you all know how the jobs go.

SHiNK

Hi guys. My audi a4 is also rusting along roof rails. Done as asked and work been refused but not taking it laying down.

Anyone else who wants to make a stand against this please add audi uk on Facebook and lets fill there wall with complaints about this problem and then HOPEFULLY they might act on it.

What have u got to lose???

Yes, you can get your car repaired at your local bodyshop and it does not affect your warranty. At all.

Whilst this refers to servicing it is not applicable on bodywork, as soon as the claiming dealer checks the paint depths and they're elevated or there is obvious damage we're able to check to see if there's a repair been carried out in the Audi app rep network, if this is not found then the claim on that panel is invalidated, i would e careful how you approach it, sometimes going in quoting OFT and trading standards is not the best way to get any help which is what you'll be after at the end of the day

I get the feeling they are finding any excuse not to repair at the moment. I had mine looked at and all original paint. 64000 mile full history. They replied just before Xmas saying no so I escalated it to complaints and nope again.
So got nothing else to lose except hassling them on Facebook page.
It's a ****** joke. I just don't know how they can justify "paint defect" excuse on every one of u guys.
I have told audi uk I will post the link to this page everyday until my car gets sorted. :)

Hi I hope you do not mind me contacting you, I found this link recently. I bought a T Reg 1999 A3 from a garage on 10/11/12. I had a reasonable look around it at the time, but the following weekend had a good look and noticed the bubbling on the either side of the rain channel. I have apporached garage but as its a sold as seen no luck. Am I able to get on this bandwagon?, or as my car is really old is there no point?

If there is a chance what do I have to do? I have no warranty of any sort, is this an open warranty with Audi as its a common fault.

Hope you can help me!

Many Thanks

Jason

Thanks for that!- kinda knew that would be the case!,what sort of price should I be looking at to get it fixed?, the rust is both sides of rain channel in various patches along its length, one place quoted £450 bearing in mind age of car, but thats not my issue I love the car!

Cheers

Jason

I would think u would be out of ur warranty by now.

You need to take the word 'warranty' out of your mind, none of the work discussed on this thread is Warranty work it's all 'Factory Goodwill' which is why people have a contribution towards the repair of 30%, once your car is over 3 years old the only bodywork warranty you have is a 12year anti-perforation warranty which you'll never see, this is not an Anti-rust warranty, all cars rust and all manufacturers have similar problems. We do loads of wings/roof-rails/tailgates zinc inclusions so they're still getting approved if it's a genuine claim so i would still keep pushing them

I just want my car repaired lol. It's a 2004 a4 64000 miles fsh (main dealer and 2 services at audi specialist) and its near enough mint apart from the roof rails. I don't mind contributing to get the job done properly. Lets face it if I took car to a body shop I would prob pay the same amount as the 30% that audi would want. But I want my car repaired to audi standards. Plus it's the principle of the whole thing. Audi pride themselves on being a prestige car company.
My transit van I use for work don't get washed twice a week and polished regularly and that's not got paint bubbling like the a4.
Also it's the whole attitude towards customers that haven't brought a car from them etc.
I buy genuine parts and have had VAG for nearly 20 years. But I still do not qualify for "goodwill".

I took my 2001 y plate S3 to Leicester Audi In july, They measured all the paintwork and said it was all ok. So they put in a warranty claim with Audi. After 5 months of waiting I rand Audi uk and complained and 2 days later they rang to tell me they had some good news. They have approved my claim ! Good news ? ERM NO ! They said to ring Leicester Audi to book my car in when I did they told me that I woild have to pay 30% of the claim £400 and they would pay the other £800 to do the car which wa ok. But when I asked what they were doing for the money. They said they were going to strip the roof and repaint it replace both roof trims and blow in the tops of both side panels. There isn't any rust on the roof just top of the side panels. And they refused to paint both sides to make sure both sides don't have a blow in mark on. So I rang Audi uk and they basically told me to go and get it repaired somewhere else. And the bodyshop manager at Audi leicester was useless and flatly refused to warrant any paintwork finish on the side panels ! So I am going to take it to a bodyshop to get a quote. And I know Leicester Audi sub contract their bodywork out and I understand that most of Audi dealers do the same.

HOME TOWN - Barnsley
DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - passenger side roof moulding towards the rear
TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - unsure was present when car was bought
HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 3 weeks
DEALER APPROACHED - Audi Wakefeild
OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - Approved on a goodwill basis 91/9, I had to pay £85. also had all coilpacks replaced free of charge.
REASON FOR REFUSAL - N/A
DATE OF CLAIM - DEC 2012

Well I took my 52 plate s3 up to the Solihull Audi on the Stratford road. 1st comment from the bloke who delt with me was that it was a tidy example. I explained I thought the front end had been painted.
Anyways I showed him the little bubble coming up on the roof/rail then on the drivers door at the bottom ontop of the door blade. He told me to go back inside whilst he took it round to the garage to get the depth checked. Anyways 15mins later he returns and he said they won't cover it on the warranty as the paint depths were not original and that it had been painted on the front, and 1 of the quarter panels. I will admit, the front yes u can tell it has been painted as the bonnet has a few stone chips, but as for the rest of the car... Hummm.
They wouldn't even take the pictures of it and send them off to see if I could get approval, when I asked why they said as they had been doing it for a long time they knew it wouldn't be approved. He said they try to help everybody but they couldn't help me.

I went to have some work quoted for today, now that my one rear quarter and roof was painted i wanted to have some paint correction work on the whole car. The guy I dealt with pointed out the paint repair to my roof rails is either rusting through again or reacting, but either way needs more attention. Also some previously un noticed blisters on the lower halves of the other side and door. I'll be back on the phone to audi next week.

s3clarke: They tried to worm out of doing mine in the same way but I got the local senior rep out to check it again as the quarter panel being painted doesn't mean that the roof rail has had paint (and been incorrectly prepared)! They eventually gave in and I paid for the rear quarter to be redone. My advice would be to go up a level.

You paid for it to be done? And by local senior rep do u mean somebody will come out to look at it? Cheers mate