Another winter tyre thread

oli356

Reaction score
I know winter tyres and summer tyres are always debated. But thought I'd share this video. I was susprised how rubbish the 4WD summer car did at accelerating... 4WD got absolutely thrashed...

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, AlS3BE and 45bvtc
Brilliant video! My RS3's winter tyres will soon be fitted for their 8th winter season:

Winter tyres RS3

Reactions: AlS3BE, Sandra and NevMan
I know winter tyres and summer tyres are always debated. But thought I'd share this video. I was susprised how rubbish the 4WD summer car did at accelerating... 4WD got absolutely thrashed...

Fitted my winters on Q5 a few weeks back. Last year had winters on FWD A6 and they never skipped a beat during beast from east!

Reactions: AlS3BE, Sandra and 45bvtc
Fitted my winter rims last weekend.
I know we don't get much snow to be fair but they do perform better at 8° and lower than a summer compound tyre and seem to last longer too.
Also people who say "I've never needed to use winter tyres blah blah blah" really do need to drive a car with them fitted when it does snow!

Reactions: Fatbloke, NevMan, 45bvtc and 2 others
Our A1 already on TOYO Snowprox for the 2nd winter; one early morning run at 2ºC a couple of weeks back :racer: convinced me it was time:

A1 winter rubber P1000297

Summer and winter tyres are the same size - 225/40/R18 - and on the same OEM 18" rotor rims...

Note: I use Vredestein Wintrac Xtream on both our TT and RS3 and Toyo Snowprox on the A1 - all with OEM rims as it makes 'em easier to sell when selling/changing cars - which I rarely do!

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan
Put my Continental WinterContact TS860's on the A3 a couple of weeks ago and a set of TS850's on the Skoda VRS today. Been using them for years and they make a massive difference in all winter weather. Wouldn't be without them.

Reactions: 45bvtc and NevMan
My stock continentals have only got a couple mm left and i can't afford to put some winter tyres on now and then buy new summer tyres in March. Thinking of going michelin cross climate tyres all year round. Anyone done this?

I was susprised how rubbish the 4WD summer car did at accelerating... 4WD got absolutely thrashed...
It is good to know the exact tyres used. Quite often these comparisons are for winter vs all-season.

Put my Continental WinterContact TS860's on the A3 a couple of weeks ago and a set of TS850's on the Skoda VRS today. Been using them for years and they make a massive difference in all winter weather. Wouldn't be without them.
Our A3 has TS850 tyres. They are excellent on ice and snow and predictable when the weather is warmer.

My stock continentals have only got a couple mm left and i can't afford to put some winter tyres on now and then buy new summer tyres in March. Thinking of going michelin cross climate tyres all year round. Anyone done this?
All-season tyres are not the best option for a performance car. Comparatively poor winter performance AND poor summer performance.

Reactions: Fatbloke

What you could do is just stay on your Summer tyres this year and hope for the best (a mild Winter). Just leave the car at home if conditions are really bad and at other times be careful and drive to the conditions. This may be better than compromising both the Winter and Summer performance with a tyre that is neither fish nor fowl so to speak.

What you could do is just stay on your Summer tyres this year and hope for the best (a mild Winter). Just leave the car at home if conditions are really bad and at other times be careful and drive to the conditions. This may be better than compromising both the Winter and Summer performance with a tyre that is neither fish nor fowl so to speak.

I think you're right. I live in London as well so less snow and easier to get around without the car. Then replace the tyres next spring and have a nice fresh set of grippy summer tyres!

Reactions: NevMan
I’ve not long got back into an s3 again recently and noticed already some traction issues where even traction control isn’t kicking in, has anyone came across this, i would have thought the stock Contis would have been more than capable, however I did see this video on Facebook this weekend and it got me thinking

I’ve not long got back into an s3 again recently and noticed already some traction issues where even traction control isn’t kicking in, has anyone came across this, i would have thought the stock Contis would have been more than capable, however I did see this video on Facebook this weekend and it got me thinking

It may not be tyre related. It could be haldex related unless the car is very new.

Reactions: glasgowdubber