Another STOLEN A3 black edition - Leeds

*stumbles into thread and with slurred speech* what? an a3? i mean i would understand an s3 or rs3 but why an a3? sorry to hear it mate... so sorry!

Parts..... they are very desirable from Black Edition A3/S3's alike! Take a look round the forum here for instance, there is usually many threads about people retro fitting S-Line bumpers, steering wheels, interiors, and wheels etc. ;)

Parts..... they are very desirable from Black Edition A3/S3's alike! Take a look round the forum here for instance, there is usually many threads about people retro fitting S-Line bumpers, steering wheels, interiors, and wheels etc. ;)

You're absolutely right.

For fear of offending anyone (as last time I raised this one of our members thought I was having a dig), there is a rampant market for upgrades, and if you spend any time on e-bay looking at A3/S3/RS3 you'll see quite a list of cars that have been made up to look like something else (only last week someone posted about an A3 1.6 RS3 lookalike).

I hold two reasons for this view:

1) If people bought the parts over the counter at Audi and then did the upgrades it would be non economic to do this with the sole intention of selling the car straight on afterwards - you'd never make your money back
2) Half of these cars that turn up for sale never seem to be part of anybodies build threads on any Audi forums I visit. If the people doing it were passionate they'd be doing build threads. I know I'm generalising a bit as not everyone will use internet forums, but there seem to be a steady flow of these cars that you never see sight or sound of on here

Unless the parts are being acquired by 'dubious' means, it doesn't make for a profitable business model to be doing it, so it makes you wonder if there is a cottage industry just replicating high spec cars in lower rent donor shells being fed by crime. Also the parts in isolation on ebay (like wing mirrors) make good money.

These days I keep a very close eye on threads and questions being asked in the 8P section to see if there are any patterns or suspicious questions being raised that would cause a need for any concern.

Obviously as you're more than aware, do take every precaution, implement what safety measures you can, and don't think just because your car isn't an RS that you're immune, your not. Given the number of Leeds threads we get, if they were to catch this group it makes you wonder whether it would balance things out, or whether others would just step in to take their place. Tragic.

Sorry to hear about yet another Black Edition go missing from Leeds. These people are absolute scum and I sincerely hope that they get caught in the act one day and get everything that's coming to them.

Due to the recent spate of thefts over the past few months (specifically Black Edition A3's from Leeds) I've been making a much more conscious effort to try and prevent falling victim to it by always putting my wheel on full lock, leaving it in gear and with the handbrake on tight (from advice given in the last thread about another theft).

I've been off the road for the past couple of months due to a broken arm so my car has always been at the bottom of the drive behind two other cars. Now that I'm mobile again and will be returning to the gym, I think it's time to take further action for peace of mind. I used to worry when leaving my car in the City Centre at night thinking my RNS-E would get nicked, now I'm starting to wonder if my car will be there when I return!? I'm definitely going to look at getting a lock for the handbrake and the security window film. Short of hiring a security guard, getting a new car or wiring it up to the mains, I don't know what else can done.

Reactions: Ian Newbold
when I called Adrian Flux to accept their insurance quote & the rep told me a stipulation was that the car must be parked on the drive if I'm at home after 10:00pm ...never heard that before and never understood why, I questioned it in shock & almost backed out - But within a few weeks of joining ASN, I've seen why they feel such a condition is necessary. You can't just park these cars anywhere, or without one eye on security or you're liable to return to an empty parking spot.

I may not have a BE, S or RS, but I like pretty much everything about the car I have, so I'm taking no chances & hope the rare colour puts any watchers off. It's a sad state of affairs to be in.

Reactions: Ian Newbold
Hi mate

Sorry to hear this, Audi's are always being targeted but there's a been a rise in the past few months. RS4 thefts have risen again and we had an 8P S3 stolen a couple nights ago! I work for Tracker in the Control Room, if you're interested in a unit let me know and i can help you out for your next vehicle.

In the mean time, heads up and take it easy.

Regards

AJ

Yep, the police say they are for parts only, I still have both sets of keys...there was plenty of desirable bits on it + it had only done 34k miles - 170bhp diesel engine...not even run in! :)

Hi mate

Sorry to hear this, Audi's are always being targeted but there's a been a rise in the past few months. RS4 thefts have risen again and we had an 8P S3 stolen a couple nights ago! I work for Tracker in the Control Room, if you're interested in a unit let me know and i can help you out for your next vehicle

In the mean time, heads up and take it easy.

Regards

AJ

Thanks...I will def consider extra security for my next car whatever that is

I am moving to leeds on Tuesday! Are there any real world benefits of getting Tracker Locate over Tracker Monitor?

I've just skipped down this thread - but are there any photos and the reg plate for people to look out for?

Or is the most likely scenario that it is in a different country by now?

I reckon it'll be broken & sold for parts on web sites or e-bay right here in Blighty, who's to know where the parts came from once it's broken.

Definitely a good unit to go for, i've actually helped a couple people here on ASN to go ahead and get the Tracker Locate. You won't be dissapointed! Need any more info just PM me :)

AJ

Cheers AJ mate, I will do.

Black jacks also has a tilt/tow alarm if the code hasnt been entered now i know that this doesnt stop them taking anything either but there is the fact that it might attract people attention if you were at the side of it at a set of lights or it was ringing out on the back of a wagon in a car park etc,i bought an S3 last month and its the 8p2 shape which i dont think thieves are bothering with as much these days as people seem to be pinching new shape cars to do old shape cars up for some reason but i still have had a clifford black jacks & a smart track fitted,plus security post in the drive,plus we have dogs,plus security lights so hopefully at home its as safe as i can make it,going to put newer euro door barrels in the house doors and maybe even a steering wheel lock.

As for the car been taken by you been hi-jacked again clifford black jacks should hopefully make it so they dont get that far and the tracker should hopefully make sure you get it back so for £600-700 i thought i would have both rather than trying to pick one

i am after some parts for my black edition after a minor bump, as people said i searched ebay and came across this
Audi A3 Black Edition Breaking For Spares | eBay

i rang the mobile number and asked a few questions, i was told its a blue silver 59 plate black edition located in bradford, i wanted the bumper, however it did not have the headlight washers so no good to me!!!!

not a million miles away from leeds.

i am after some parts for my black edition after a minor bump, as people said i searched ebay and came across this
Audi A3 Black Edition Breaking For Spares | eBay

i rang the mobile number and asked a few questions, i was told its a blue silver 59 plate black edition located in bradford, i wanted the bumper, however it did not have the headlight washers so no good to me!!!!

not a million miles away from leeds.

Good spot... Doesn't seem that legit.

2month ebayer with 2star feedback.

Stock Audi picture.

Hmmm

Not another one...my sisters was found parked up in Armley. They never found her husbands car.

Its happening so often now. Only 3 weeks ago, we had a SEAT Leon FR Diesel 12 plate stolen from works car park near Sturton. Same way, smashed window and put onto a truck.