Another speeder....

Rallyman

LPG Abuser & have VAGCOM
Reaction score
Don't know if you're aware ?? But....

Just found out the hard way (by a speed awareness course) that "they" (big bro) are converting the red light camera on junctions to include speeding. Its called "speed on green" ... So when the lights are red it is a red light camera and when not red its a speed camera..... :sign omg:

I enquired during the course and found out this is relatively new "thought" (tax?) as numbers of red light jumpers had fallen and they have found out that people (like myself) decide to zoom through.....luckily .... I wasn't going as fast as I thought I was..... so got the offer of the course - phew....

I was told that they don't need the tell tale strip of lines to get you speeding and that this does stand up in courts now :wtf: ......could be class hype.... ??
SO .....watch out if you want to run the green light at speed .... :racer:

Hype, I’d say. Logistically, it is a massive task. They might trial-run it in few cities but nationally will take ages. That’s not to say we should be speeding at the green lights but imho it is just a hype - scaremongering!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers mate. I was about to mention Manchester and the likes of Luton where I could see them being trialed.

There was a news last night around 80% of the speed camera being inactive throughout the country. I wonder if the authorities don’t have funding to run the normal ones how are they going to fund these extra measures they have or are deciding to put in place.

They were trialled in Dorset about 5 or 6 years ago. One of the cameras in Poole caught more people w during the trial than all the other cameras and police officers in Dorset combined and was, in terms of revenue, the most 'successful' camera in the UK.

The technology has been around for a while, I just don't think there is the appetite for them to be used widespread in the same way that the average speed ones aren't used mainstream.

You are right in that a lot of them are inactive Tashfeen. This is partly due to funding (they have to be regularly emptied to comply with strict time rules and that requires staff) but primarily because they are a deterrent as opposed to a money making venture.

Not sure about the strip of lines suggestion. If a person disputes the camera reading then they can use the picture evidence to instruct an expert to use the lines to establish the speed 'manually'. The Court HAS to assume a camera is calibrated properly and this method is the only way of rebutting that assumption.

I’ve got the perfect method to avoid getting caught speeding on all speed cameras. :D

Reactions: RAF_S7, daytonamart and DrEskimo
Well, that’s something new.
Wonder if they put it already in London?

As for calibration of the camera, this was first thing (after hello driver), a copper said to me, when caught me with a laser gun.
He pointed to a sticker on a gun, which contained all info from latest calibration. This gives you less winning chances in court, I think.
Those permanent cameras probably need to be taken out to do so and calibration certificate stored in they HQ or somewhere.
Even if it wasn’t calibrated well, if they have loads of tickets contested, I’m sure they can turn the cat around so you will be liable anyway.

With regards to calibration certificate, a court must assume all is working properly and it is for the offender to rebut this assumption (I don't recall even once a person being successful on this basis).
With regards to rain, that's an old wives tale.

Slightly out of date convo - but speed on green camera tech has been around for around 10 years. The ones being converted from wet-film to digital will gain “speed on green” but it’s really nothing new.

Just wait for the latest tech that combines spot speed, average speed, red-light and ANPR (numberplate recognition for vehicle checks) that can be moved about - now that will be cause for concern!

Generally the World Health Organisation recognises side impacts at 30mph are enough to be fatal (e.g torn aorta). That’s why manufacturers often fit side airbags now - and why red-light cameras exist.

Ps the rain thing is a myth - the only thing rain might affect is image quality on a poor specified systems - although infra red suplementary lighting gets around this. Most of the camera use defence technology and military grade radar or lasers cope with rain.

Am I the only one who is happy to drive at the speed limit and not need to worry about speed cameras?

Reactions: tickedon
Am I the only one who is happy to drive at the speed limit and not need to worry about speed cameras?
You mean, you never went over the speed limit? Ever?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Tj 0785, Thundercliffe81 and RS5 JON
I used to push the limits when driving (I.e. at the limit where if clocked, you’d be just under/at the enforcement guidelines) so was always looking out for police cars, speed cameras etc.

Now I drive as close to a true 30mph, 70mph etc. as I can. I drive 15k miles a year on average, and it’s so much more enjoyable as not constantly scanning for speed traps! Just don’t see the point as unless you are flooring it, the time saved is pointless.

That said, I do enjoy my annual driving trips to Germany...

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I’m 99% sure a mobile unit caught me out today as I was only car on that stretch of road he would have clocked on to me straight away. As I was coming round a bend I noticed him and slowed down but I’m sure it was to late. Worst case he got me at 60 in a 40 but if he got me as I slowed/slowing down it won’t be as bad ( I hope) 1st time in 13 years of driving that I’m looking at points I hope it’s the speed awareness course but not if that got be before I started slowing

Reactions: N@deeem
Hmm two weeks of nervous tension waiting for something to drop through the letter box then.

Reactions: Tj 0785
Can’t remember the thresholds for speed awareness but IF you were detected there is a chance you might get a course offer, and going by my experience they aren’t too bad.

Assuming you are the registered keeper and the technician got you - they are human despite what we think!... They have to serve the Notice of Intended Prosecution within 14 days - note that they only have to prove they sent it with enough time, not you receiving it in that time.

If you aren’t the registered keeper, they they should nominate you and it may take longer as the clock starts again.

Here’s hoping they were drinking a can of coke or doing paperwork!

The operator in the back of the mobile unit does not operate the video camera manually, he simply parks his vehicle in a good position to catch speeders, sets up the camera and starts it going, from then on everything is on auto, the video is being recorded & simultaneously sent to his headquarters, i live in the Thames valley area & all results go to Kiddlington in Oxfordshire, the only thing he does at the start is set a + or - tolerance for the session, he can then sit back read a book, surf the tinterweb, pick his nose, anything else it's his choice, i have thought i have been caught several times & i have pulled up a short way passed the unit & walked back & tapped on the side window & asked if i had been caught, they ask what you are driving & they can rewind the video back & see if you were nicked but if you were there's nothing they can do, all the officers i have ever spoken to have been really nice & polite chaps, one thing though don't think they only nick you as your going towards the unit, they record both directions at the same time, be warned.

Reactions: 45bvtc
What’s the distance that they can catch you from and does it have to be a straight stretch of road

Hmm two weeks of nervous tension waiting for something to drop through the letter box then.
I've just emerged from that waiting period, having been flashed three weeks ago today by a GATSO doing 38mph about 200 yards past the point where the limit drops from 40mph to 30mph.

The operator in the back of the mobile unit does not operate the video camera manually, he simply parks his vehicle in a good position to catch speeders, sets up the camera and starts it going, from then on everything is on auto, the video is being recorded & simultaneously sent to his headquarters, i live in the Thames valley area & all results go to Kiddlington in Oxfordshire, the only thing he does at the start is set a + or - tolerance for the session, he can then sit back read a book, surf the tinterweb, pick his nose, anything else it's his choice, i have thought i have been caught several times & i have pulled up a short way passed the unit & walked back & tapped on the side window & asked if i had been caught, they ask what you are driving & they can rewind the video back & see if you were nicked but if you were there's nothing they can do, all the officers i have ever spoken to have been really nice & polite chaps, one thing though don't think they only nick you as your going towards the unit, they record both directions at the same time, be warned.
How is that possible when car is moving away from the van?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

All depends on the kit used. Don’t assume they all work the same as different forces buy different kit. I’ve been in the back of a van where you have to move the target yourself - mainly on multi lane roads. Certain vehicles are known to give false readings so some forces prefer manual targeting to avoid mistakes by people in the back office missing spurious readings.

Caught an off duty copper that stopped worried to enquire! Lucky for him I’m not Police and the operator told him that those detections can’t be used as I’m not Police and was just testing the kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost
What’s the distance that they can catch you from and does it have to be a straight stretch of road

Depends on the kit- there are at least 6 suppliers approved in UK I can think of and they won’t all work the same way.

I think I read that some kit has a range of 1km or more. It’s mostly based on military targeting technology, but it all has to go through what is known as Home Office Type Approval (HOTA). The actual range depends on many thing including weather and if it’s got low light lenses.

Reactions: Ghost
Knowing my luck it would have got me before I seen it. And with it happening in Liverpool and me being a manc they will probably throw the book at me. Ha