Another S3 magride thread, but this one has a poll :)

Best S3 suspension option for california?

• Total voters

michael-s3

Reaction score
I have a car on order with magride, but from what I've read here, that may or may not be a good thing? It can't be both a "brilliant must have" option and "trash" at the same time. I live in the SF bay area and will be using this car as a daily driver, I may never bring it to a track, but I do like to go for rides on twisty roads.

I'm sure your roads are much better quality than ours so would defo go mag + 19s. They come as standard on the S3 saloon/sedan here and i find comfort setting is great everyday. And dynamic feels much tighter and sporty when you start to play with it :)

Who has described the magride as trash?

Audi mag ride has traditionally been unbearable in Dynamic.

The RS4, RS6 etc. is practically undrivable in Dynamic, unless you're on a smooth track.

The S3 proposition is an improvement.

Michael, I've driven all around California and the SF bay area and if you like spirited driving then go for the mag ride and 19". I have an S3 with mag ride and it's fine in Dynamic. I have the 18" wheels though because our roads here (Toronto Canada) are potholed and frost heaved so I wanted a more compliant ride and I don't have a fashion preference for the ultra low profile look.

Who has described the magride as trash?

Ok, you got me, trash is an exaggerated overstatement. There are some fairly negative comments about it in some of the threads I've read. I'm referring to those. I read one with a former TT + magride owner being emphatic about not getting that option on a new S3. And some comments from folks down under were harshing on it. Definitely mixed reviews.

I like the idea of being able to switch it to 'comfort' mode for ho-hum daily use but still being able to tighten it up on twisty roads, but some comments make it sound like the only place it can be used is on a track, so yet another magride thread was born.

My plan right now is to get the magride and when it comes time to get a new set of tires... think about dropping down to 18"ers after having plenty of first hand experience driving it with the larger wheels. The greater choice and lower cost of smaller wheels might be welcome in addition to a nicer quieter ride.

Michael, I've driven all around California and the SF bay area and if you like spirited driving then go for the mag ride and 19". I have an S3 with mag ride and it's fine in Dynamic. I have the 18" wheels though because our roads here (Toronto Canada) are potholed and frost heaved so I wanted a more compliant ride and I don't have a fashion preference for the ultra low profile look.

I'm not so sold on the ultra low profile look either, I'm more interested in the being able to toggle modes. Having said that, I think the design of the 19" wheels is much nicer than the 18" wheels.

Ok more votes for than against magride! Good thing because production of my car has started and there's no way I could change it now :)

I've ordered mag ride too... If I don't like it I won't use it.

After doing a little more research, I'm pretty confident I made the right choice for myself. Comfort mode is more comfy and sport mode is more sporty. Wunderbar!

About not using it though, there really isn't an option to not use it (unless you mean you'll replace the magneato (sic) dampers with a different set of shocks/springs).

Sorry I should've said if the sport mode is too hard (as some say) then I won't use it. It would be great if someone could do a comparison of Mag vs non-mag on a track, logging everything such as g-force, slippage, cornering speeds etc. Wishful thinking though

Mag-Ride is also adaptive so the ECU continuously alters damping according to the current driving situation. It's not just a case of picking Hard/Medium/Soft settings.
I find it works really well and like the fact I can stick it in comfort mode for Aberdeen's various cobbled roads. I've set the programable button on the steering wheel for Drive Select so a few clicks and it's nice and soft and then a few more clicks to rip round the roundabouts.

Reactions: Forbzeeee and Psyman79
Fellow Bay Area (Santa Rosa) S3 owner here. I wrangled the same magride issue and ended up happy that I went for it. I just leave mine on comfort which works well on our roads. When I head to Sonoma Raceway, I'll do a switcheroo plus pump the tire pressure back up to the delivered 44PSI. The Golden Gate Audi Club is hosting a driving instruction event at the Raceway October 16-18.

****** awful on UK roads. I had it on both my TTS and RS... tried a new S3 with it, still no better. Probably fine on nice smooth road surfaces. Glad it's an option on the RS3!

****** awful on UK roads. I had it on both my TTS and RS... tried a new S3 with it, still no better. Probably fine on nice smooth road surfaces. Glad it's an option on the RS3!

If it is really that bad, why don't we have S3 saloon drivers bitching constantly about it?

'Cause not everybody finds it that bad. I came from an Acura RSX Type S and it practically rattled my fillings in our roads. By comparison the S3 in Dynamic is firm and very damped but not bone shaking unless you directly hit a pothole. Haven't driven on UK roads for a few years so YMMV :)

Doh! I should've put standard dampers + 19" wheels as an option in the poll. It's not clear how many votes are more for the aesthetics of the larger tires vs the merits of the mag dampers.

For day to day driving on UK rubbish roads what's best mag ride in comfort or auto what's people's view ? An hoping it will be softer ride than my s1 as that in auto is still too hard but that is just adjustable and not mag ride so my new s3 when I get must be smoother surely ?

Ive not actually tried auto, but i tend to just leave it in comfort, switching to dynamic when i'm having a play :)

No complaints from me about either setting. Will try auto though and see how it likes my driving style.

I use Comfort cruising in town (softest), Auto when nipping on a bit in and out of town (harder with less bounce) and Dynamic for a blast out of town (hardest). Auto works well most of the time but Comfort soften things for the cobbles & bad roads.
Dynamic is a bit harsh in town and similar to the Mk7 Golf R with Pretorias & ACC I test drove.

I intend to try each setting for a few commutes and see how they compare for comfort, drivability, economy etc then make my decision based on that. May end up choosing a particular one, changing for different parts of my route or setting up an individual profile - who knows!