another rod story :(

S3featesV9

Reaction score
so as some of you no, cars been in and out of the garage for a month now.

engine was rebuild with new piston rings, new big end bearings and valve stem seals, a brand new turbo.

garage have justed called saying its been on the road and blown the big end bearing on cylinder 2 and 3 again. pistons back out, crank and conrods sent off to be re-ground.

Turns out i need new rods, i wasnt going to go forged but as i now need new ones...i might as well.

what i want to know is where to get them, what ones to get. need them asap as paynes who are doing the crank, need the rods to do the work.

Try badger 5 think I he may have them in stock? You could try THS performance aswell

Mate why didn't you get the rods changed when the head was off last???

Get them from Bill as I know he has them in stock. I've been waiting 5 weeks for some from IE in the states.

Also make sure you get "rifle drilled" ones. Good luck

yeah ive called bill, getting riffledrilled. i just cant afford too, ive had to borrow money to buy them now. which i hate doing. but oh well. hopefully this is the end of engine work.

why did you go with IE rods from the states then? and not bill?

yeah ive called bill, getting riffledrilled. i just cant afford too, ive had to borrow money to buy them now. which i hate doing. but oh well. hopefully this is the end of engine work.

why did you go with IE rods from the states then? and not bill?

Not sure really. I think there was a slight saving with the IE rods. I also have another 5 weeks before I start my engine build so I could afford to wait for the delivery.

...just noticed that you are having the crank reground... the shells Bill has in stock will be std size...

<tuffty/>

yeah am popping down now, about hour away. picking them up along with a new TIP. :)

yeah paynes will have to fit oversize bearings. so anyone near badger5 and wants to say hello in an hour would be good :)

Reactions: sam4191
yeah am popping down now, about hour away. picking them up along with a new TIP. :)

yeah paynes will have to fit oversize bearings. so anyone near badger5 and wants to say hello in an hour would be good :)

Good luck man, keep seeing you avatar pop up with nothing but issues. Hope it all works out.

Just on way home now from badger5 with new rods and tip and they're both the sex!! Biggest smile in ages. I'm glad my car is ****ed now.

Bill agreed 26psi is too high. So going to book in with him when cars running again to get map sorted!

Now I have Rods, stage 2 isn't do far away :)

I'm paying for the regrounding of crank and parts And they're going labour for free.

Just on way home now from badger5 with new rods and tip and they're both the sex!! Biggest smile in ages. I'm glad my car is ****ed now.

Bill agreed 26psi is too high. So going to book in with him when cars running again to get map sorted!

Now I have Rods, stage 2 isn't do far away :)

Did you get rifle drilled rods?

26psi is high on a K04, let alone a K04 on standard rods!

814919d2.jpg

Haha nah my mate drove me. Yeah they are rifle drilled dude. TIP is off the chain too!

Any one no what a reasonable price is for crank regrounding? Including oversize bearings?

Shame mate what bad luck! Love the TIP! Gotta get me one soon!

How much did that all set u back? They r both my next 2 buys.... Well once iv paid my holiday :(

cc7626e2.jpg

3681a06d.jpg

Yummy!!!!

integrated engineering is the way to go and riffled drilled was gonna link you thier website but i think the Good Lads have already done that i wish you all the best mate, trust me i know how it feels

How much did that all set u back? They r both my next 2 buys.... Well once iv paid my holiday :(

£657.60. Mate. Seems alot but once you've brought them and you have them in your hand, all your do is smile! Honestly

just about to go pick up the crank and take it to FJ Payne. going to cost a small £80 for all four journals. not bad, all four might not need doing either. then plus whatever the cost is for oversized shells. be done within a day. so should have car back on the road for wednesday next week at the latest.

cannot wait!!

Well FJ Paynes measured all the journals and all but one are out of tolerance. Going to be about a week now as they have a bit of work piled up. They are going to polish up main bearing journals too. They advised I get a new oil pump too as it may be a bit tired out, which would explain my issues. So does anyone know where to get one of these?

Parts on route to workshop...
1e51a8b6.jpg

I should really start my build thread.

Nice one, I did see it before I posted but was unsure of its quality.

I have one in my engine and no probs as yet... quality looked ok comparitive to the OEM one I replaced it with...

<tuffty/>