Another rear wiper issue, wiring diag anyone?

Jeffmorgan

Reaction score
Hi all, I see there's load of stuff about changing wiper motors, but does anyone know what the plug connections should be reading in terms of voltage when intermittent is on. I've had my 51 plate 1.9 TDi for 18 years and determined to keep her going, quite a few things starting to fail now :-(.
Changed motor back in 2013 and no problems till recently when it only worked when it felt like it. Bought a new motor but before taking the old one out connected the new one to the plug to test, guess what this didn't work either. So either I've a dodgy new unit or the wiper stalk / wiring has a problem.
The voltage at the plug is 12+ve (Yellow/Black) 12-ve (Black), I've got nothing on the blue or brown cores and cant find a decent wiring diagram to help so any info would be greatly appreciated.

TIA cheers

Check boot hinge for any broken wires 1st.

Reactions: Jeffmorgan and norris_309
As said above, worth checking the cabling around boot hinge area. I had similar issue with my mk4 golf, pulled back the rubber housing the cables (which I found had a hole in) and found a couple of broken wires in there.. was a bit a pig to connect them back up but was doable.
Hopefully yours will be something similar fingers crossed

Reactions: Jeffmorgan
OK will do, thanks for the heads up. I've volts to two of the four wires going to the motor, would be good to know if all 4 cores are used or two are just spares. Starting to think my new motor is duff, its was a cheap unit!

A big thanks to NHN and norris_309, you were spot on. :yahoo:
Just checked wiring and found the blue/purple wire broken, made temp fix to test and wiper motor working OK. Just need to get a decent repair done now fault confirmed, cheers guys your advice was very much appreciated :thumbs up:

IMG 20200619 181031871 IMG 20200619 182323659