Another rear DRL question. Does anybody know how this should work?

Reaction score
Partly because of an irresistible desire to tinker and partly because I think rear DRLs are generally a Good Thing, I tried enabling them using the alternative method in the current beta version of Carista.

Before I explain what happened, the car is a 2017 MY 2.0TFSI Sportback in Sport trim; specifically Xenons at the front and incandescent tail lights.

Firstly, I'd tried what Carista call the 'Scandinavian DRL' tail light modification, and that worked. The snag with this option (and I appreciate not everyone would regard it as a snag) is that the number plate lights and the instrument panel lights are also on permanently.

Number plate lights aren't really an issue, but I don't really like having the dials lit all the time. I'd rather have the default set-up of having the gauges unlit when running DRL only, to serve as a reminder that it's getting a bit gloomy and you should be turning all the lights on anyway.

Some might argue that this is a good case for using auto headlights all the time, and they do have a point...

However, that isn't really what this is about.

When I tried Carista beta's alternative rear DRL customisation instead, something slightly unexpected happened.

Once I'd completed the two-stage operation for each tail light, I got out and pottered round the back to see what was occurring.

The tail lights had indeed come on without the number plate lights (which was what I was after), but only the inner pair, i.e. the ones in the tailgate. The outer pair (the ones in the body) stayed off. Not only that, but the ones that did come on were lit more brightly than before. Not as bright as the brake lights; somewhere between brakes and standard tails.

My first thought was that something had gone wrong, but having thought about it a bit more, maybe it's supposed to be like that.

I can see the logic in having rear DRLs somewhat brighter than the standard tail lights because they are Daytime Running Lights after all, and you're more likely to notice them if they're brighter.

And noticing them is exactly the point of having them on in the first place.

I'm not sure why only the inner pair would come on rather than the outer pair as well, but then I recall seeing at least one mention elsewhere of somebody else's car - may have been a TT - doing something similar, so maybe this is intentional as well.

One last thing. I was slightly surprised that doing this modification would change the brightness of normal incandescent bulbs, but then I did notice that the tailgate bulbs which did. light are 16W rather than the 5W that they often used to be, and presumably the car's electronics would not allow the brightness of any bulb to be increased to the point at which its life is compromised.

I'm sorry this is so long winded, but I couldn't think of a more concise way of writing it, and after all the only truly stupid question is the one you never ask.

Thanks

Pete

Last edited:
I don't know exactly how you are doing it but i have a pre facelift vcds coding

Method 1:
STG 09
Access Code 31347
Adaptation
(6)-Tagfahrlicht-Dauerfahrlicht aktiviert zusaetzlich Standlicht
Default: Nicht aktiv. Set to: aktiv

Method 2:
STG 09
Access Code 31347
Adaptation
(9)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion D 23
Default: not active. Set to: Daytime running lights (1st option).
(9)-Leuchte24SL HRA65-Lichtfunktion D 24
(9)-Leuchte26NSL LA72-Lichtfunktion D 26
(9)-Leuchte27NSL RC6 -Lichtfunktion D 27

As you can see above in the second option, there are 4 parameters to change, each one of them affecting one side of the taillights
so for example left side taillight is divided in two parts, part 1 in the car chassis and part 2 in the boot lid, so there goes 2 parameters to change, add right side tail lights and you should change 4 total parameters

Hope this help you understand it, as I think your problem would be something similar

Reactions: Phutters
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm using Carista to attempt this. I don't have VCDS, and I do appreciate the limitations of Carista in comparison.

For what it's worth, there are two steps for each of the tail lights in Carista, but executing both steps for each light only results in the tailgate parts working. I've sent Carista feedback to this effect, but haven't heard anything as yet.

I guess that without VCDS I'll have to wait and see what they have to say. It wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't work.

Can I ask you one other thing? When you changed your parameters using VCDS, did the tail lights (all four sections in your case, tailgate and body) come on at the same intensity as before or brighter?

Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm using Carista to attempt this. I don't have VCDS, and I do appreciate the limitations of Carista in comparison.

For what it's worth, there are two steps for each of the tail lights in Carista, but executing both steps for each light only results in the tailgate parts working. I've sent Carista feedback to this effect, but haven't heard anything as yet.

I guess that without VCDS I'll have to wait and see what they have to say. It wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't work.

Can I ask you one other thing? When you changed your parameters using VCDS, did the tail lights (all four sections in your case, tailgate and body) come on at the same intensity as before or brighter?

Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply, I dont usually hang around forums these days,

Yes all four had the same intensity, there are also in VCDS options to change the intensity. but they came on all the same

Sorry for the late reply, I dont usually hang around forums these days,

Yes all four had the same intensity, there are also in VCDS options to change the intensity. but they came on all the same
Thanks

I've been talking to the blokes at Carista about this. Their customisation won't allow for both the inner and outer tail lights to be used as rear DRLs; it will only work with the inner (tailgate-mounted) ones, at least on cars with a tail light configuration like the one mine has.

I'm not unhappy with that, especially now that their latest beta version includes a brightness adjustment.

When I tried it before the latest beta version, the inner lights were on at their maximum brightness. I thought that was a bit too bright for running lights for a couple of reasons; firstly that they were almost as bright as the brake lights and secondly that, according to Dr Eldon Tyrell, "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."

I appreciate your help anyway.