Another problem- ECU Replacement

Matthew Harrison

Reaction score
:grumpy:Another month another issue with my 2020 A4 45TFSI
So I was having error messages up for the last few weeks... ‘drive system fault, contact workshop’
But turning the ignition off and on again cleared it..... (I was notifying Audi also)
Then it happened whilst driving, and made the car drive very strange, lumpy, jerky, weird power.
Finally, it came up Wednesday morning... but also with ‘stop start fault’ and ‘gearbox fault’ and ‘engine management’ and the engine kept cutting out
So Audi have had it back, and it requires a new ECU.... on a car less than a year old:wtf: and the part is on back order from Germany... could take two weeks+ to come... and they have no courtesy cars... so I’ve got a Europcar rental to keep me on the road!
So that along with the full MMI replacement, and the weird paint peeling in the wheel arch, it’s been one of my ‘less enjoyable’ Audi ownerships!
I miss my A6 272 :bye:

Sounds like a nightmare. Hope it gets sorted properly once and for all.

Someone I work with had almost identical issues you described and it turned out to be a defect in the wiring loom. They had to replace the car!

Must be very frustrating but the A4 is very technical and faults do happen from time time, like any other manufacturers vehicle's. Mine developed a fault with a gearbox component a month after I purchased it rendering the car immobile and I had the indignity of watching my car of just over 1000 miles being driven away on a flatbed. Fortunately it was a part easily replaced and I got it back after just a few days. I doubt if dealerships actually hold non-servicable parts these days, even Ford don't, thus the reason why the ECU is coming from base..

Once again, my engine management light has come up , and a 'drive system fault.
im beginning to think its not Audi, and more my DTUK tuning box. i hoped to give it the benefit of the doubt, but doesnt look good. can be two faulty ECU's can it surely?

I think I would remove the DTUK box and put everything back to stock and see if it comes back. After a while if nothing has happened put it back on and then wait and see if the issue returns. Unless of course Audi were wrong in the first place and it wasn't the ECU at all, as 2 faulty ones does seem unlikely.

I think I would remove the DTUK box and put everything back to stock and see if it comes back. After a while if nothing has happened put it back on and then wait and see if the issue returns. Unless of course Audi were wrong in the first place and it wasn't the ECU at all, as 2 faulty ones does seem unlikely.
Yeah, that’s my plan. I’ve removed it for now, but I never refitted it right after my ECU replacement. I left it for about 2-3 weeks and all was fine. And I refitted it a couple of weeks ago, and now it’s started again. I’m hoping the engine management light clears, but it’s still standing now. will see how it goes. I’ve messaged DTUK To see if they have any ideas, and messaged ABYSS on here as I’ve heard he’s great giving feedback.

I have had that come up once whilst my dtuk box was fitted with no ill effects but restarting the engine cleared. It hasn't returned since but I have also been running a custom map. Yes ABYSS is usually very good. It could be just a faulty unit..

From other people's feedback of the DTUK box I would also think it would be very reasonable to assume its that!

I have had that come up once whilst my dtuk box was fitted with no ill effects but restarting the engine cleared. It hasn't returned since but I have also been running a custom map. Yes ABYSS is usually very good. It could be just a faulty unit..
yeah, im hoping its just a faulty unit, and possibly bad luck with the first ECU, i dont want to jump to any conclusions, it just seems very 'coincidental' regarding having it on and off. i just hope i dont blow another ecu- might be suspicious with audi if i go for two on a car thats only 1 year old now!

Reactions: cuke2u