Another Idiot Driver

Why do you say that - empty left lane. Maybe you and the car in front should be using it

I would have done exactly the same

Reactions: Bryant1998, nervus, Kondax and 3 others
There were more cars behind and all travelling at mid/high 60 mph, the offender was lucky to slip in front of the taxi as there were more cars using the overtaking lane. I agree it's frustrating to sit in a queue but when the first in line is not pulling over it causes some to act irresponsible.

Hmmm, this is a difficult one. If the offender had time to undertake a number of vehicles it has to be asked why they weren’t in lane 1 in the first place. There doesn’t seem to be any reason why not, but maybe it’s the angle of the camera.

Ive just returned from America and I don’t know what the law is, but vehicles sticking in the outside lanes regularly get undertaken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
America law keeps traffic moving but does increase risk of crashes as I drive there alot

I prefer it though compared to the UK

In the states you should use the inside lane but very few people bother, it's just pick a lane and drive in it... It also depends on the state that your driving in, as each one has slightly different law. The 101 between San Francisco & San Jose used to nightmare with regular accidents.

Yeah it was amazing how much of a difference it made with the kitties travelling at the same speed as all other vehicles. The climbing lanes helped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On a recent speed awareness patronising session, A guy raised this exact scenario. The lady leading the course said it is perfectly legal to pass on the inside if it is free and the driver in the passing lane is not already driving at the speed limit!

Not what I was taught but she maintained that it is correct.

However, driving in the fast lane at the same or similar speeds to the inside lanes in flowing traffic is just plain Ignorance. These morons think they're in a supermarket check-out queue.

I definitely agree with most of the posts on here that those driving on the outside lane are the ones in the wrong. Some drivers seem to think that the outside lane is the "fast lane" - it's not, it's the overtaking lane. The police are supposed to be cracking down on drivers doing what the OP was doing but don't seem to have done much about it yet. I agree that the guy doing the "undertaking" is taking a risk but it's people like the OP who are putting him in that position in the first place.

Reactions: Andy Butcher
I used to undertake people like the person at the front of this queue just to make a point, even if I wasn’t in a hurry or keen to make progress. Dangerous? Generally not. Immature and impatient? Probably.

As I’ve got older, I’ve become a bit more typical British and tend to sit in the OP’s position stewing, though on occasion I still can’t help myself and just blast past on the inside.

The funny thing is, I’d say the majority of overtaking lane snails actually pull in to the middle or near side lane immediately after being undertaken, which suggests to me that most are simply being dozy and inattentive rather than entitled lane hogs.

No such thing as the "slow lane", "fast lane" or "overtaking lane".

Lanes 1, 2 and 3, if lane 1 is clear use it even if doing the national speed limit, no reason to sit in either lane 2 on a 3 lane road/motorway if lane 1 is clear.
Same applies on a 2 lane carridgeway, if lane 1 is clear then get over.

Reactions: Bryant1998 and Leevr
I had a situation the other day M5 southbound. Moved into middle lane and was approaching a Nissan juke that had been sitting in the middle lane for a few miles with ample opportunities to move to the inside lane as I had been travelling behind. As I got closer to the Duke I was prevented by another car in the outside lane travelling just quicker than me, it was at this point I considered tapping the brake as I was on cruise, the Duke must have looked in the mirror saw me and swept over to the inside lane quite violently, i passed and as i looked in my mirror the car swept back into the middle lane as urgently as it had moved before, even though there was no vehicles in front of it for quite a distance, enough for me to move to the inside lane and continue on. What exactly was going through (her) mind is anyone's guess. Maybe inside lane is trucks transit only. Get out of it quick.

Reactions: Bryant1998 and voorhees
I had a situation the other day M5 southbound. Moved into middle lane and was approaching a Nissan juke that had been sitting in the middle lane for a few miles with ample opportunities to move to the inside lane as I had been travelling behind. As I got closer to the Duke I was prevented by another car in the outside lane travelling just quicker than me, it was at this point I considered tapping the brake as I was on cruise, the Duke must have looked in the mirror saw me and swept over to the inside lane quite violently, i passed and as i looked in my mirror the car swept back into the middle lane as urgently as it had moved before, even though there was no vehicles in front of it for quite a distance, enough for me to move to the inside lane and continue on. What exactly was going through (her) mind is anyone's guess. Maybe inside lane is trucks transit only. Get out of it quick.
Obviously a f**wit at the wheel,a few about

The only thing he appeared to do wrong was not blow the horn and salute the driver as he passed. Lane Hogs boil my p*ss like no other.

Reactions: Bryant1998 and Sandra
It's very likely that each driver was waiting for the car in front to move over but if the driver at the front of the queue doesn't move over then none of them will. This results in all drivers having to slow down giving the opportunity for undertaking.