Another day another problem

Crazypete00

Reaction score
Driving down a single lane road with a grass verge in the middle. There was a bang in the centre of my car and since then there's a really bad vibration felt throughout the car and through the steering wheel but only between 1k and 2k rpm.

ive read it could be either flywheel or prop shaft. I'm on holiday at the moment with my car so can't look at it for another few days, is there a way to. Arrow it down? Can i pull the haldex fuse? Will this stop the prop from spinning? And if so will it be ok to drive 100mes like this?

If I remember correctly, pulling the fuse won't stop the prop spinning at all, personally with the bang and the vibration I would be very reluctant to drive it 100 miles unless you can figure out the cause.

Sounds like a prop shaft problem to me. Likely cause is the centre bearing/housing has collapsed and hence causing the vibration or possibly bolts coming loose on the "donuts".

Unfortunately pulling the Haldex fuse won't stop the prop spinning. The prop constantly spins with the drive to the rear axle altered at the rear diff. As above, I really wouldn't be driving it for any distance to be honest mate.

Hi crazypete00
While you are checking what the upper people suggested, please also check on the alignment of the gearbox mounting that's underneath the car.
Cheers

Ok thanks, when u say gearbox mount is it the dog bone mount? At one point after hitting the unserside I did have problems getting it into gears but after a few seconds of trying it was ok

decided to cut holiday short and get home. took it to a mates garage and we stuck it on the ramp.

looks like its the centre diff, makes alot of noise when you turn it.... he's going to look at why its stiff to change gear aswel when he gets a chance.

also while it was on the ramp i took a look around, i noticed my rear tyres were alot more worn than the fronts and i had them all fitted at the same time. any idea why this could be?

Hi,
It could be three things, Alignment
Calipers getting stuck
They are older than the front ones.
Actually its supposed to be vice versa.
Yes I mean the dog bone that's underneath the car.

thanks robin, it could be the calipers, i had one seize on recently and replaced the 2, so it might make sense.

dog bone looked ok, covered in grass and mud, but otherwise fine.

well finally had a good look at the car, its been off the road. looks like its the dmf. im tempted to replace with a solid flywheel do you think this will be ok?