Annoying Rattle from Rear, Ideas ?

Red-Eye

Reaction score
I've got an annoying rattle that comes from the rear passenger side on bumpy roads in my 3dr 2.0TDi Quattro 8P, it's also there when you start to accelerate from about 1400rpm, Is there a speaker that is kept in that area, if so how do i get to it to check if it's loose?
Any advice on this rattle would be good as it's starting to get annoying now :-(

Cheers.

I have the same problem, if i have the rear seats down its about 20 times worse!

I have thought it might be something to do with the seats or even the parcel shelf, but it's still there when I have been out without the parcel shelf. I cant find any way to adjust the rear seats, but I think it's def in the RH rear passenger "door card" area, even though it's a 3dr.

A year ago I had rattles from the rear which sounded like a mixture of the parcel shelf and rear shocker top mounts. Audi said it was the stone guards at the rear...? I had them replaced back then and the same noise has just started again.

Is it 'plasticy' sound? If so its most like the plastic guards on the rear arms. I had this issue with mine and removed them, problem solved

I have a similar noise from the same area but its more like a clicking when going over bumpy roads. To me it sounds like its coming from the seat release catch but I've had a good look at it and can't find anything loose. Tbh this car is the worst I've had for rattles and creaks particularly in the cold spell.

Had the rattling stone guard too which I cured with a tie wrap.

Last edited:
Last night I did some strategic pushing in the problem area, this morning on my trip to work the noise is now much better, still there slightly but very much better. From this it looks like it's to do with the plastic side panels, is there a guide on here to show how to remove them from this area ?

I will also check the platsic guardss on the rear arms though, just in case.

Is there aguide anywhere which explains how to take apart the rear "door card" area? that would be really helpfull so I can take a proper look ;-)

those stone guards you speak of are the most likely cause.

at work i must have binned around 10 pairs in the last year.
just throw them away, for the stone guard protection...... in fact looking at them i think theyre more of an aero dynamic aid for the underside more than protection of any vunerable components.

pretty much pointless for the trouble they cause.

Had the same problem, Audi just removed the stone guards. No noise since.