Annoying knocking noise

jamesmow

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 1999 Audi A3, 1.6 which is making an annoying knocking noise, which seems to be coming from the front passenger side. it knocks when I accelerate, break and whilst turning at slow speed. It also makes a low pitch rubbing sound when I go round corners at reasonable speed.

Have taken it to garage and had CV Joint and lower ball joint looked at and they couldnt find the problem.

Any help / advice would be appreciated as it is doing my head in!!

Cheers

Update....

Had a quick look under the car last night and it doesn't seem to be ARB links or driveshaft and the CV Joint seems fine....

Any ideas guys? Thought it might be the wheel bearing, but unsure if that would make a knocking noise?

have you checked the outer boot as what you described is usually this! i replaced my cv last year when my car was making this noise and it didnt stop then i replaced the whole driveshaft and it stopped which makes me think it was the outer boot.

another thing to check might be the anti role bars.

nathan

just had another thought.
wheel bearing? - this is a very vry annoying noise which can vibrate your whole car if its on its last legs. it doesnt sound like this but you never know!

to rule out the drive shaft, go under the car and shake the passenger side drivers shaft from the hub, move it left to right and up and down and twist it. there should be little to no play in it. might be worth picking up a cheap second hand n/s drivershaft to rule it out.

Cheers Nathan, I will certainly give it a try later and hopefully find out the prob!

Just realised I didnt reply!! - Was the ball joint on the lower arm!

sounds like a moody garage you took it to the 1st time!:ohmy:

exactly the same scenario im in mate is it a vibrating noise coming from the passenger side, and a knocking when going over very small bumps in the road but not speedbumps? if its the ball joint let me know and how much did it cost to sort as it has been annoying the hell out of me as i have looked at the bushes, suspension, ARB.

Hi Mason, It was the bushes in the lower arm that had gone. It works out alot cheaper to just buy the complete lower arm. From memory it was only about £50 for it.

Hope it helps!

James