Android RNS-E replacement

dejongj

Reaction score
I haven't been active for a while, but as my impulse lease VW Golf R is coming to an end in March I brought my B6 Convertible back on the road. Very impressed with how it started first time after nearly two years standing still. Well with a little help from a charged battery ;)

Anyway, I was so used to my built in DAB and Bluetooth etc that my RNS-E system without Bluetooth felt ancient and I couldn't remain there. At the very least I had to integrate a Bluetooth solution for handsfree calling. But I also really like DAB.

So after considering my options for a while; oem, fiscon, pure digital etc. I found this Android double din headunit featuring Bluetooth but also a dab module.

On paper the only thing I'll be loosing is the DIS for information and guidance instructions.

So the unit arrived today, the colour and shape look like a perfect RNS replacement. I don't have the time nor light now, but will swap it over in the weekend and report back.

Reactions: glenandem and James.c
I've been thinking for a while about going down the double din route, Bluetooth is a must and dab would certainly be advantageous... which unit is this and what price if u don't mind me asking..
Look forward to hearing how u get on..

Looks like a nice unit.. i haven't seen this one before.. be sure to post up how u get on.. good luck with the install..

Reactions: dejongj
I've done a fair bit of research on this and the general consensus on xtron head units is to stay away,, bad fitment into the dash and cheap quality finish.. i can't say I've ever personally seen or heard one, just going by what other forum users say...

I don't think this is an xtron, well not if it is based upon comments of bad finish. The quality of the external material, buttons, dials is absolutely superb. I was actually concerned about that as I don't want to end up with shiny black plastic.

Fair enough I haven't fitted it yet so figment could be out. We will find out this weekend :)

The concerns I have and will perform key parts of my installation and tests are;
- colour match with the rest of the interior
- fit within the dashboard: no gaps, no creaks, enough space for my Brodit mount
- colour of the illuminated buttons/dials and match with rest of interior
- shine/reflection of the display, visibility at night and as mine is a convertible also during the sun light
- ability to charge my iPhone :)
- ability to stream music from my iPhone or use android Apple Music
- install waze ideally as the main Satnav app
- have clear audio and mic on handsfree calling
- give voice commands
- control via my mfsw
- receive and play dab
- integrate dashcam
- be reliable and quick to run (quad core arm9 should be ok with kitkat)

I think that is it. If there is any other criteria people would like me to check I'm happy to do that other than installing another rom.

So basically I took a punt :)

Lol.. I didn't say it was xtrons.. :)
Never seen this particular one before.. glad to here the finish is top quality.. fingers crossed it all lines up nicely in the dash.. and of course runs as it should.. look forward to hearing the end result.. :)

Reactions: dejongj
keep us posted pal as you know in my other thread im looking into oe of these for the wifes car, ive seen one with buit in dab im thinking about, the wife loves absolute 80s lol.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121793456775?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Yes my wife likes that station as well. My daughters like Kiss FM and Capital. And I want LBC when traveling nationally.

Wow I can't believe I didn't see the xtron unit. It seems a fair bit cheaper than the pumpkin one I got. Would be interesting to see a comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimbob79
Cool. I didn't have too much time today, but got going....

First job; get my Brodit ProClip for my phone out of the way as it was installed to the side of the RNS-E unit. I was happy that it was indeed as Brodit suggest a no damage installation.

Second job; get the RNS-E out. What a pain. The supplier keys with the head unit didn't lock in. I had some older ones and they didn't lock in. To be safe I also ordered some from eBay and guess what they didn't lock in. So of the twelve keys not one locked in place to pull out the RNS-E unit...Grrrr...However with a careful pull on the pulled down screen :eek: and finding the holes for a finger of two I was able to pry it out enough such I could get hold at the bottom and pull it out. Phew....Get the big plug off and the FM and GPS cables and job done.

So in with the new headunit. A little confusion on my part on how to use the cables. I was having a blonde moment and didn't realise that only one of the two bulky ones had to go in. So I put the one on with the CanBus converter. It just clipped in. Then attach the FM cable, and screw on the new GPS receiver.

The unit switched on immediate and came to live. In order to wire it up neatly, include the new DAB aerial, Dashcam etc I need to take my glovebox and a pillar apart, so I will finish that tomorrow and add some photos.

First impressions
1. Blends in really nicely - If I nitpick the shade of black is slightly different but hardly noticeable
2. The screen is really nice, i was concerned that this one only has 800x480 but there is no need to worry it is just fine
3. The MFSW works, it just works not special tricks or anything it works :)
4. Standard connection to my WiFi as it is Android and done a few Google updates - no problem
5. The sound quality was really **** :( No sounds in the rear and quite a bit of interference. However, after an hour of fiddling with equalisers, looking online etc I spotted the pre-out cable and plugged it in, then connected to the ones attached to the CANBus cable and WOW. Just WOW. Sound quality is really good. It is superb, no interference nothing. Very happy with that.
6. FM isn't working, at all. Not with the supplied cable, nor with the FAKRA connections. There is this blue cable loose and I'm wondering whether I need to do some manual wiring with that to give power to the antenna? Didn't think my Cabrio had an electric area but perhaps it does.
7. DAB integrates nicely, reception wasn't great on the test bench, but it worked. As such I'll have to wire it in properly against my windscreen.
8. Satnav is good, the receiver gets 4 more satellites compared to the RNS-E.
9. Build-in microphone is very good. I'm not sure I will install the external one actually...
10. Being able to do a "Ok Google" and instruct the car is really cool.
11. But for me best at the end, I installed Apple Music from the Play Store, and bingo I've got full Apple Music on my head unit. Absolutely brilliant and no messing about with the phone.
11. Waze doesn't seem to like the screen resolution, when I've got time I'll play with the exposed framework to see whether I can override that. But in the mean time iGo is included, but just Google Maps for SatNav with Ok Google voice control is pretty good.

So first impressions are very good. I will finish off the cabling tomorrow, add some photographs, and actually use it for a while. I can't see me going back to the RNS-E ever....

Reactions: SuperV8, jimbob79, glenandem and 1 other person
Sounds good matey, can't wait to see pics, try and post a vid of you can of the screen in action lol

Yes will do. I'm wiring it in place tomorrow, and then I can connect my laptop and record screen with adb as per android.

Very interesting, have been thinking of doing the same but I have a single DIN head unit so bit more work!

20151114 191041
Mine's an erisin and came with the Torque app pre installed. Worked straight out of the box.

Reactions: jimmcgee
What is the make of the headunit you're fitting?

Pumpkin Auto

I'm sorry I haven't updated this. All is well, but I've been rather busy;
The Audi Cabrio (subject of this) - Got a flat tyre, which now turned out to be a cut on the side wall. The front left caliper seized and the metal hit the rotors :eek:
On my VW Golf R - I've also had a flat tyre, screw in side wall, and a huge crack on the windscreen with Autoglass now twice cancelling the install.
On my Mercedes GL - had to change the brake pads but they use this odd size hex tool to loosen the caliper which I had to hunt down

Grr - Next weekend the Audi should be back on the road as the tyres had to be ordered in, I'm fixing the brake this afternoon and I'll update further..

Keep us posted as in looking to buy the same unit.

Pumpkin Auto

I'm sorry I haven't updated this. All is well, but I've been rather busy;
The Audi Cabrio (subject of this) - Got a flat tyre, which now turned out to be a cut on the side wall. The front left caliper seized and the metal hit the rotors :eek:
On my VW Golf R - I've also had a flat tyre, screw in side wall, and a huge crack on the windscreen with Autoglass now twice cancelling the install.
On my Mercedes GL - had to change the brake pads but they use this odd size hex tool to loosen the caliper which I had to hunt down

Grr - Next weekend the Audi should be back on the road as the tyres had to be ordered in, I'm fixing the brake this afternoon and I'll update further..

Any update on the Pumpkin auto HU? Be interesting to see results of your list of tests early up the thread :)

Been looking into one of the these units recently but struggling to pick which one.
There the pumpkin unit from several Chinese sellers or there's an unbranded unit being sold by Ice Box Autos but they're a genuine UK company??