Cool. I didn't have too much time today, but got going....
First job; get my Brodit ProClip for my phone out of the way as it was installed to the side of the RNS-E unit. I was happy that it was indeed as Brodit suggest a no damage installation.
Second job; get the RNS-E out. What a pain. The supplier keys with the head unit didn't lock in. I had some older ones and they didn't lock in. To be safe I also ordered some from eBay and guess what they didn't lock in. So of the twelve keys not one locked in place to pull out the RNS-E unit...Grrrr...However with a careful pull on the pulled down screen
and finding the holes for a finger of two I was able to pry it out enough such I could get hold at the bottom and pull it out. Phew....Get the big plug off and the FM and GPS cables and job done.
So in with the new headunit. A little confusion on my part on how to use the cables. I was having a blonde moment and didn't realise that only one of the two bulky ones had to go in. So I put the one on with the CanBus converter. It just clipped in. Then attach the FM cable, and screw on the new GPS receiver.
The unit switched on immediate and came to live. In order to wire it up neatly, include the new DAB aerial, Dashcam etc I need to take my glovebox and a pillar apart, so I will finish that tomorrow and add some photos.
1. Blends in really nicely - If I nitpick the shade of black is slightly different but hardly noticeable
2. The screen is really nice, i was concerned that this one only has 800x480 but there is no need to worry it is just fine
3. The MFSW works, it just works not special tricks or anything it works
4. Standard connection to my WiFi as it is Android and done a few Google updates - no problem
5. The sound quality was really ****
No sounds in the rear and quite a bit of interference. However, after an hour of fiddling with equalisers, looking online etc I spotted the pre-out cable and plugged it in, then connected to the ones attached to the CANBus cable and WOW. Just WOW. Sound quality is really good. It is superb, no interference nothing. Very happy with that.
6. FM isn't working, at all. Not with the supplied cable, nor with the FAKRA connections. There is this blue cable loose and I'm wondering whether I need to do some manual wiring with that to give power to the antenna? Didn't think my Cabrio had an electric area but perhaps it does.
7. DAB integrates nicely, reception wasn't great on the test bench, but it worked. As such I'll have to wire it in properly against my windscreen.
8. Satnav is good, the receiver gets 4 more satellites compared to the RNS-E.
9. Build-in microphone is very good. I'm not sure I will install the external one actually...
10. Being able to do a "Ok Google" and instruct the car is really cool.
11. But for me best at the end, I installed Apple Music from the Play Store, and bingo I've got full Apple Music on my head unit. Absolutely brilliant and no messing about with the phone.
11. Waze doesn't seem to like the screen resolution, when I've got time I'll play with the exposed framework to see whether I can override that. But in the mean time iGo is included, but just Google Maps for SatNav with Ok Google voice control is pretty good.
So first impressions are very good. I will finish off the cabling tomorrow, add some photographs, and actually use it for a while. I can't see me going back to the RNS-E ever....