Android MMI app and unlocked car problems

thefunkygibbon

Reaction score
Should the app alert you of leaving the car unlocked or doors open etc?
Personally I've noticed a few times which are massively concerning
* Came back to car and boot was wide open
* Came to car and it was unlocked
* Left car and "locked it" but luckily came back to it straight away as needed to get something out of the back and noticed it hasn't locked. Apparently it hadn't gone into Park when i stopped the car and if it's not in park it just doesn't lock when you push the remote button .

All of these things are of large concern and as much as they may well be user error, I've never experienced anything like this in any of my previous cars. Admittedly this is my first Audi but not my first vag.
I can't imagine I'm the only person dumb enough to be doing this?
Thoughts?

Btw I've ordered a obd11 so i can add locking chirps and a longer delay on the remote boot opening which should go some way into helping these issues. But really they shouldn't be problems to start with!

I read about the OBD11 on a link from another post, are there any other interesting features that it can help with? Does it affect the warranty at all?

Loads of things you can do with it, got a bunch of features "built in" but also supports long coding (bit more complicated) like VCDS does.
as for warranty, no idea. I don't think i've heard anyone having any issues with it. it only effects the things you are tweaking. so they'd be very hard pushed to claim that your head gasket going was a result of you changing it so that the indicator flashes 4 times instead of 3 :)

I've had one experience of accidentally opening the hatchback on mine - luckily it was on the drive.

Never had an issue with it not locking though - mine is an automatic so I put it into "P" when parking up.

I think these are "user error" except the boot opening which is too easy IMO and as you say, needs the longer press adjusting in the coding. Chirps for locking/unlocking will also help.

I'm not so sure on the user error, yes i know it should go into park automatically, and assumed it had. I honestly don't know of the criteria for situations where that wouldn't happen, because it sure as heck didn't happen when i expected it to. It has every time since though.
One thing I can never quite understand the criteria for happening is the auto handbrake (proper one, not just hill hold) when you turn the car off. It seems really hit or miss whether it does or not and I cannot seem to work out why it wouldn't occur.

The question i really would like answering though relates to the android app.. should it give me a notification if the car is left unlocked or alarm going off? One would assume it would but I've never had an alert. Its a pretty simple thing to do and to be quite honest, given the lack of other features of the app, it seems pretty pointless if it doesn't

I have the iPhone app but assume the functionality is the same.

Mine doesn't give a notification but I don't know if it is designed to?

It does give a warning if your alarm goes off but that'd be no good if it wasn't locked in the first place!

lol yeah, good point. to be fair i've not tested the alarm to see if that does.

No notifications on the android app. But it is good to check if you have locked properly.

1. The app will only work if the car has the SOS module, i.e. it rings the emergency services automatically if you have an accident. Unfortunately the A4 is the same and, as far as I know, the only countries that have this operating are the USA and Canada...

so annoying that you can't open/shut windows remotely. It must be totally possible to do. This audi app has a LOT of improving to do.

Agree it would be good to get the added functionality.

Maybe the app will develop and progress over time but I'm sure we'd all be screaming to high heaven if the app caused a security weakness with the car in the same way the recent car thefts have been caused by BMW/Audi software breaches.

As already stated unless the car has the SOS feature the app will never work. Nothing to do with the app at all...