android head units?? worth it ?

Ive just fitted the Android unit linked above. As Mike said worked straight out of the box.
Came with Primo for Android loaded on an 8Gb sd card . I also got the dash cam as well ;)
If you buy ensure they include the rear side sliders.

edit: Just found it can pair with my wireless router at home when parked in my driveway .....

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike597
Ive just fitted the Android unit linked above. As Mike said worked straight out of the box.
Came with Primo for Android loaded on an 8Gb sd card . I also got the dash cam as well ;)

edit: Just found it can pair with my wireless router at home when parked in my driveway .....

Or your phone as hotspot :D You can also get a 3G module and put a SIM card in it so it has permanent data connection. Great stuff.

Bazzle, any comments on the sound relative to your audi unit?

thanks

As mike said not as much bass on low volume levels, come up when you up the volume..
My S3 also has Bose on 4 channels so I did the mic removal in the overhead to stop white noise from the auto volume.
There is a sub out. Might see if that can be fed to the Bose sub.

damn... not willing to trade on sound quality. So annoying as it does everything I want it to do!

There is an Audiosources unit too that has a lot better sound (the brand is known for it). It looks like the vag navi.
I have used one and it was good. The Bose sub worked better.
http://www.audiosources.net/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=50004&Id=167&FId=t3:50004:3
Its the best brand for winCe 6 units. If you want a contact there send me a pm.

The Android one just has a bigger screen . ( :) )

Last edited:
Hi I've got the same unit as Mike597. Most things appear to work OK apart from the steering wheel controls. For people who have this unit, did you have to change any settings to get them to work? I noticed there are three "key" cables as well but from my (admittedly rather limited) understanding these are not needed as it uses Canbus instead.

Cheers

Hi I've got the same unit as Mike597. Most things appear to work OK apart from the steering wheel controls. For people who have this unit, did you have to change any settings to get them to work? I noticed there are three "key" cables as well but from my (admittedly rather limited) understanding these are not needed as it uses Canbus instead.

Cheers

that doesn't sound right at all...mine worked straight away just plugged it in and away it went. This was one of my biggest concerns with a unit like this - ensuring it was fully canbus compatible and would work. I was very pleasantly surprised to find it 'just worked'. I would contact their support team for advice. All the issues and concerns I had were worked out by them very well, I was pleased with their support response.
There are settings for the steering wheel controls but I'd refrain from fiddling with them until their support have advised you.

SW like Mike.. from the box.
No extra wires. Ensure the red canbus box is plugged in fully.

Hey guys, I am looking at buying one of the Android units for my s3, just wondering are the backlights around the volume knob etc green like in the ebay pictures?

Cheers

Geoff

Hey guys, I am looking at buying one of the Android units for my s3, just wondering are the backlights around the volume knob etc green like in the ebay pictures?

Cheers

Geoff

the back lighting comes as default in red. It has an RGB setting that in theory makes it infinitely variable, though I've not tested it.

I set mine to white for a while, tried green but looked Irish :) Back to Red

@Mike597
Do you happen to know which version your can bus decoder is? Should be written on the box.

I've bought a different style 4.4 unit and it won't turn on/off with ignition

Do you not have the loud option on the amplifier control? I didn't have one on my first unit but it's there on the second.

I do but the bass on a flo rider track (Run) I use to test seems to of improved.. who knows ?
Easy to add / or remove.
I tried a few Bass booster apk's but all they did was lower the output of the other frequencies so you turned up the volume more to get balance back. Most are made for headphone jacks on Android phones.

Have you guys been able to change the commands of the steering wheel controls? Mine doesn't seem to recognise me pressing the buttons.

They do work though as I can change the volume from my steering wheel.

@Mike597
Do you happen to know which version your can bus decoder is? Should be written on the box.

I've bought a different style 4.4 unit and it won't turn on/off with ignition

Sorry don't know the version, not keen to pull it out again to check as that's how I broke the first screen.

Have you guys been able to change the commands of the steering wheel controls? Mine doesn't seem to recognise me pressing the buttons.

They do work though as I can change the volume from my steering wheel.

Which one did you buy? So the volume works but not track up/down?

Which one did you buy? So the volume works but not track up/down?

Worked out there was a red wire I needed to cut to sort the ignition out.

I got a Pumpkin branded one. Same specs, different button layout and version of android.
The track up and down work too.
I want make pressing the left scroll wheel answer the phone. Doesn't have a use atm.

My microphone has quite a hiss over it too when Playing a recording back. Heard there's a resister to cut to sort it or something.

On my Erisin I have also upped the pre-set volumes from 10 to 14. (Factory settings code: 126)
seems to drive the Bose amp better with more range with main vol on unit down a couple of numbers :)

Hi guys,

Been looking through this thread as im looking at buying an Android Unit as my 2014 rnse 193G has decided to brake!!

Ive just a few questions that hopefully can be answered..

Do any of the units you guys have work with Bose?
Can i use the existing wiring from my RNSE unit for the new unit?

Many thanks

If you read above at least 2 of us have the Erisin Android ones :). I also have the Audiosurces as a spare.

You guys rooted yours? Did mine to add a few extras and it's a lot better.
Been told by my seller that they're bringing out Android 5.0 for these soon.

Trying to wire up my reversing camera properly at the moment.

Thanks Bazzle, you've defo pointed me in the right direction. Seriously thinking of ordering this today as you cant really got wrong for just over £250! I take it theres no coding needed with it as im just replacing the broken Rnse unit..?

@Bazzle thx for info, but do you happen to know why there isn't any unit for A3 with the new quad core, and Android 4.4.4 ?
@Marine_918, which one are you going for?
Maybe it's been asked before, but are there ANY chances to get the FIS/DIS work together with one of these units, no I assume, right??

Going to get the ES9783, its the one that has been tried and tested by members on here.
Before i click buy now @Bazzle do i need the arial adapter as decriped in the picture?

Android headunits work properly with DIS, you will get a CAN BUS decoder box, just connect it and it will work like a charm.
Really/sure?- that sounds great.
Atm. I have an old BNS 5.0 unit, and I'm very satisfied with the way it works when using the navi, it shows the direction in the DIS display , but it's also an sloooow unit

Really/sure?- that sounds great.
Atm. I have an old BNS 5.0 unit, and I'm very satisfied with the way it works when using the navi, it shows the direction in the DIS display , but it's also an sloooow unit

I don't think any of these units work with the DIS.

The only one I've see using the DIS is the Dynavin units.

Mine is blank where it would show directions/ track names etc.

Doesn't bother me as I keep it in the digital speedo.

I don't think any of these units work with the DIS.

The only one I've see using the DIS is the Dynavin units.

Mine is blank where it would show directions/ track names etc.

Doesn't bother me as I keep it in the digital speedo.
Hmmmm, confused now.....
Is it hard to adapt the "new way" of looking at the map in the centre instead of looking at the DIS in front of you??

Hmmmm, confused now.....
Is it hard to adapt the "new way" of looking at the map in the centre instead of looking at the DIS in front of you??

I never had the RNSE, so didn't have the directions. I did however have bluetooth, so always looked at the DIS to call people, now I have to look at the head unit. Hasn't been that hard to adapt to that, so don't imagine it would be much harder for the nav.
You can install tom-tom and have it talking to you anyway.

I never had the RNSE, so didn't have the directions. I did however have bluetooth, so always looked at the DIS to call people, now I have to look at the head unit. Hasn't been that hard to adapt to that, so don't imagine it would be much harder for the nav.
You can install tom-tom and have it talking to you anyway.
Thx a lot