Android Auto

It would be great if I could run it on my 2019 A3. But I can't for a reason unknown. Where can we get the Android Auto app from? I was unable to find it in Google Play Store.

Big fan and user of android auto. Use it daily. Liking the look of the revamp, however still waiting for them to natively support dual SIM phones like mine.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I use it very occasionally, but find it a bit limited in some respects. I wish there were more available for it - it seems focussed on music services mainly which I don't use. I only really occasionally use the google nav, though don't find it any better than the built in Audi nav either, and it can't work with the virtual cockpit either.

Am I missing out on some good Auto apps perhaps? Is there more to it that I'm missing?

Reactions: Sandra
I use it very occasionally, but find it a bit limited in some respects. I wish there were more available for it - it seems focussed on music services mainly which I don't use. I only really occasionally use the google nav, though don't find it any better than the built in Audi nav either, and it can't work with the virtual cockpit either.

Am I missing out on some good Auto apps perhaps? Is there more to it that I'm missing?
I'm surprised you don't find Google maps better than the Audi sat nav, personally I find it 10x better. Can quickly navigate somewhere using voice, or just search the place as opposed to using post codes etc.

You can also see upcoming junctions or turns so you can plan ahead for what lane you need to be in etc.

Big thing for me is it will read out messages to you and you can quickly reply using voice.

I’m another one that prefers the Audi set up especially the fact it integrates well with the VC.
Tried android auto and CarPlay and both don’t work well with vc.

The voice control thing doesn’t do it for me either. If something was important then call me not text me. All text replies can wait till I arrive somewhere.

I'm surprised you don't find Google maps better than the Audi sat nav, personally I find it 10x better. Can quickly navigate somewhere using voice, or just search the place as opposed to using post codes etc.

You can also see upcoming junctions or turns so you can plan ahead for what lane you need to be in etc.

Big thing for me is it will read out messages to you and you can quickly reply using voice.

Without trying to sound offensive but are you a millennial(20-30 years old)?

Reactions: Sandra
I’m another one that prefers the Audi set up especially the fact it integrates well with the VC.
Tried android auto and CarPlay and both don’t work well with vc.

The voice control thing doesn’t do it for me either. If something was important then call me not text me. All text replies can wait till I arrive somewhere.

Haha yes mate no offence taken, 20 years old. Probably comes down to the fact I'm used to the integration and find it more seamless to use Google maps on the centre screen. Find the Audi sat nav UI clunky and not that great looking.

Haha yes mate no offence taken, 20 years old. Probably comes down to the fact I'm used to the integration and find it more seamless to use Google maps on the centre screen. Find the Audi sat nav UI clunky and not that great looking.

It just remind me of my iPhone 3/4 screen. Got the xs max now so the UI looks dated.
I mean it works and simple to use but the lack of integration with VC is the deal breaker along with the low res look and feel.
MMI isn’t a touch screen so the rotary knob annoys me more than anything using CarPlay. Had a vw golf courtesy car a while back and CarPlay worked well with the touch screen. The golf didn’t have vc so the main screen was CarPlay whereas my vc is my main screen and MMI screen is more a supplement.

It just remind me of my iPhone 3/4 screen. Got the xs max now so the UI looks dated.
I mean it works and simple to use but the lack of integration with VC is the deal breaker along with the low res look and feel.
MMI isn’t a touch screen so the rotary knob annoys me more than anything using CarPlay. Had a vw golf courtesy car a while back and CarPlay worked well with the touch screen. The golf didn’t have vc so the main screen was CarPlay whereas my vc is my main screen and MMI screen is more a supplement.
Can't comment on the CarPlay UI as have a Samsung and use Android Auto and find it suitable. The S5 also has the upgraded central screen so the UI appears a lot crisper than it did in the S3, and being a bigger screen it gives a lot more info.
I agree with the VC comments, but as my VC is in the "sport"layout it doesn't bother me. Have Mpg on the right and track info on the left of the central dial.

The Audi nav does all this too? And the built in bluetooth integration will read messages and let you reply by dictation too (and frankly, does a lot better job than the Google one when I've used that)

The Audi nav does all this too? And the built in bluetooth integration will read messages and let you reply by dictation too (and frankly, does a lot better job than the Google one when I've used that)
Fair enough mate, was just posting my personal preference and experiences. I couldn't use the Audi sat nav for half my clients as it'd never be able to get me there.

AA also has the benefit of reading and showing all messages, as opposed to just text messages.

I think millennials officially go from 1980 to 2000. Just trying to get this point across as i was born in 83! hanging on to my youth!! :bye:

The new android auto looks good. Hope Apple do something similar. I hate the layout and look of Apple CP.

It would be great if I could run it on my 2019 A3. But I can't for a reason unknown. Where can we get the Android Auto app from? I was unable to find it in Google Play Store.

If you can't get from Play Store, go to apkmirror.com and download it from there. It is not officially available in Finland either, but I have been using it for over two years now. It is because of language not being available.
If you get it from apkmirror you have to update manually.

Reactions: dp_motley
I could never use Android Auto as I had to plug the phone in via USB. Who has time for that? ;-) Is this still the case? Or do they finally support wi-fi/BT?

I could never use Android Auto as I had to plug the phone in via USB. Who has time for that? ;-) Is this still the case? Or do they finally support wi-fi/BT?

Bluetooth or USB, your choice. But since it’s better to charge the phone while in use, USB is the better option.

Note that the OP is referring to the Android Auto application that is on your MMI, not the Android Auto App, that’s downloaded onto your phone (two different things, though related)

If you have an older car, or a car without CarPlay/Android Auto functionality (I don’t) then Android Auto downloaded to your phone is excellent, and I highly recommend it. I use it all the time!

Cable only if you want to use all features on Android Auto.
Phone and music only will function also with BT

I have the wireless charging so never plug the phone in. It certainly didn't support BT for the full features the last time I tried (about a year ago)

If you can't get from Play Store, go to apkmirror.com and download it from there. It is not officially available in Finland either, but I have been using it for over two years now. It is because of language not being available.
If you get it from apkmirror you have to update manually.
Thanks, I'll try it tonight. I hope the language is the issue. But I use English in my car anyway.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

If you have an older car, or a car without CarPlay/Android Auto functionality (I don’t) then Android Auto downloaded to your phone is excellent, and I highly recommend it. I use it all the time!

Agreed, and it's not clear if the new user interface will come to Android Auto on your phone

Mine is 2017 and that still needs cable. I asked in service if there is an upgrade for the MMI to use BT. According to them it was still cable only, even in the newest cars. This was in March this year.

Reactions: allanmb
I think this is a limitation on Audi’s part, and the sw version of CarPlay/AA they have implemented.

I’ve been in a few cars where it’s a Bluetooth connection, and there are a number of aftermarket devices to allow non Audi equipped cars to provide AA and CarPlay via all three options (BT/USB/WIFI)

My 2016 7 does not have Audi’s version installed, and it can’t be installed due to the MIB2 version l have, which is why l use the AA app on my phone, which gives some limited interface with MIB2 equipped cars. Not sure about other MMI versions.

The stand alone AA ap is basic, but very good for what it is.

There was a new unit made available in mid last year which made android auto wireless (fully through BT) however this was an addition which I believe was around £1.2k and had to be bought from a third party manufacturer. Not worth the expense for the sake of plugging a phone in.

Agreed, and it's not clear if the new user interface will come to Android Auto on your phone

Now read Android Auto of your phone is going away (no more development), to be replaced by a driving mode for Google Assistant...

The new UI started rolling out in version 4.5.592854. I installed it from apkmirror.com as AA is not available in Play Store in my country. After install you need to go to settings in AA and check "Try the new Android Auto".
Also, for those with touchpad input, if handwriting recognition doesn't work, you need to go in Android Auto (on your phone, without it being connected to the car) to the About menu entry and install "Handwriting recognition input" (or something like that, can't remember the exact wording).

The new UI seems more user friendly with our wheel control.

WhatsApp Image 2019 07 30 at 153756

Reactions: dp_motley, Khufu and Adam14
I tried it but it just comes app not installed. At least its nearly here, good news that it uses the touchpad.

Reactions: Adam14
The new UI started rolling out in version 4.5.592854. I installed it from apkmirror.com as AA is not available in Play Store in my country. After install you need to go to settings in AA and check "Try the new Android Auto".
Also, for those with touchpad input, if handwriting recognition doesn't work, you need to go in Android Auto (on your phone, without it being connected to the car) to the About menu entry and install "Handwriting recognition input" (or something like that, can't remember the exact wording).

The new UI seems more user friendly with our wheel control.

View attachment 187592
I installed 4.5.592854 but i can’t see the ‘try the new’ box... in settings, where is it meant to be? Thanks

Edit - looked further into it, the ‘try new’ isn’t showing for me yet... will just have to wait

I installed 4.5.592854 but i can’t see the ‘try the new’ box... in settings, where is it meant to be? Thanks

Edit - looked further into it, the ‘try new’ isn’t showing for me yet... will just have to wait

Maybe it helps if you delete data and cache for android auto(from Android settings->(installed)Apps->Android Auto->Storage... or something like that).

"Try the new AA" should be the first option in Android Auto's settings:
t9cHzWL.jpg

Maybe it helps if you delete data and cache for android auto(from Android settings->(installed)Apps->Android Auto->Storage... or something like that).

"Try the new AA" should be the first option in Android Auto's settings:
t9cHzWL.jpg
Done that, sadly to no avail

Will be interested to hear if it’s changed for the better etc

Using a OP6T

Attachments

• 8ADE2B84-BE5B-43DF-8B8A-99E938C22D55.jpeg
    8ADE2B84-BE5B-43DF-8B8A-99E938C22D55.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 240
  • 3FDD2B93-9F1E-4E73-AD69-C8CA278DDCB7.jpeg
    3FDD2B93-9F1E-4E73-AD69-C8CA278DDCB7.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 232
I did this to mine yesterday.
The layout is much better and more logical than the previous.
What I have seen from some sites it is much a phone dependent if you get it now or later.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 with all updates done.