Android Auto

Pickle1970

Reaction score
Has anyone got Android Auto working on there pre face lift 8V?

Is it just a case of buying the micro USB cable and launching the app on the phone to setup or does it do nothing?

Ahhhh that's a shame, thanks for confirming though

TBH Android auto doesn't offer much above the MMI system. The only benefit I've seen, and is the ability to use Spotify. You can use WhatsApp but its voice activated which is tiresome unless you use the queen's English

I was only thinking of using Waze or Google maps on the MMI screen rather than my phone. I never use any other feature while driving as it's one of my pet hates.

Hi, how can I find out if Android Auto is supported on my 14reg A3?
Which cable I should get?

Sorry for my ignorance but how can I know if my car is pre face-lift?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Is it a face-lift in the 2017 line? So basically only new models? Any chance to retrofit this?

Is it a face-lift in the 2017 line? So basically only new models? Any chance to retrofit this?

It is not very easy to retrofit because of component protection, especially depending where you are located in the world.

However, there are standalone Android systems. I have one for sale that is basically an Android device.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

In order to retrofit you would need to change your current MMI unit to a new version 2, with controls and USB ports + a new screen depending on the system which is currently in your car.

Reactions: rcnacura
That worked :)

Tested something very similar to this, might have been the same but with a different logo actually, and although it worked well the sound quality was very poor.
But how is the feel using it ? Is like a real Android Auto MMI ?

Cool, I think I will get one of this for my a3 8v. But I have no idea how to install on my car and the seller doesn't offer any information about installation

Cool, I think I will get one of this for my a3 8v. But I have no idea how to install on my car and the seller doesn't offer any information about installation
FADEB687 BEF1 4872 B895 0512310DC47C
Simple to install. This unit “sits” in between your mmi unit and the screen so to speak.

-Remove mmi
-Remove glovebox
-Connect large cable to the matching connector on the car
-Connect the pink connector to the cable for the screen
-make a hole in the glove box for the usb connector
-Reinstall glovebox
-Connect other end of large square connector to the mmi
-Connect the pink connector to the mmi screen connector
-install mmi in to slot
-Done

Just make sure you turn off the airbag before removing the glovebox.

Reactions: Kondax and flaurentiu26
View attachment 163079
Simple to install. This unit “sits” in between your mmi unit and the screen so to speak.

-Remove mmi
-Remove glovebox
-Connect large cable to the matching connector on the car
-Connect the pink connector to the cable for the screen
-Reinstall glovebox
-Connect other end of large square connector to the mmi
-Connect the pink connector to the mmi screen connector
-Done

Just make sure you turn off the airbag before removing the glovebox.
This seems pretty straight forward. Thank you very much.

Not sure why people aren't a fan of android auto, it is a god send for me. Google maps is a must with the commuting I do, the standard audi navigation / navigation with audi connect is visually horrible, and sound quality of music over just bluetooth is a lot quiter and basic. Android auto music comes through louder and better, plus with Google assistant, makes it a breeze to text, call, play certain music. As long as it is set up for your voice, it'll understand you.

Reactions: KenL