Android Auto

The thing that I'm not sure about with these systems is that your user experience in the car is highly dependent on the capability and hardware of your phone, and even the software installed and background tasks running. It also requires you to have a phone with a certain OS to make use of it. I think I'd have preferred a system that actually installs android into the car systems and is separate from the phone entirely. Still, it's got to be a good think in general, and there are a lot more manufacturers on board (and it being an open standard) than the iOS carplay which has got to be good.

I wonder how hard it would be to retrofit... All of the infotainment electronics are supposed to be in the box in the glovebox - as I understand it, when Audi claim easy upgrades in the future - they meant for them to replace that box in future models - not retrofit easy upgrades for valued customers. But maybe they'll see sense?

The MMI computer is an expensive component. Very expensive as I remember from having it looked up in the parts catalogue! Still, you never know, it might even just be a software upgrade and able to use the existing AMI cable (or a new one)

One interesting effect of this is that it'll effectively kill off the Audi sat nav system, given that you'll be able to use google which is updated a lot more regularly (and over the air). Not so good if you have no mobile data signal though, or you reached your limit or something...

CarPlay would be nice, though I guess it won't be available until the next model year?

The MMI computer is an expensive component. Very expensive as I remember from having it looked up in the parts catalogue! Still, you never know, it might even just be a software upgrade and able to use the existing AMI cable (or a new one)

Yeah, £3k to £5k+

Had mine changed twice under warranty. Good luck to the folks buying these cars outside of warranty :ohmy:

I guess it'll require the tech pack quality screen (which is prohibitively costly in Denmark - ~£7000!) and at least the connectivity pack with AMI - but how much of the box innards are separately replaceable is anybodys guess...

in the Audi press release they state beginning 2015 - which I interpret as MY2016 cars at the earliest... MY2015 is locked down already...

The entire Google IO developers conference seemed pretty impressive, some really cool stuff coming out of Mountain View!

Looks like Audi have partnered with Google which is no good for me though :( Guess I'll be going for a Volvo or a Ferrari next time if I want to have iOS in the Car!

The entire Google IO developers conference seemed pretty impressive, some really cool stuff coming out of Mountain View!

Looks like Audi have partnered with Google which is no good for me though :( Guess I'll be going for a Volvo or a Ferrari next time if I want to have iOS in the Car!

As above - Audi will support both Android and iOS. Also, Google IO is still going on I think! It lasts a few days normally. I'm guessing the next Android version will be fully announced at some point.

Slightly off-topic, but I haven't heard about the AMI lightning cable in a while. Is it available to buy online? I can't find it anywhere in stock!

So this phrase seems to be very clear:

Customers will be able to choose at any time which of these platforms they wish to use in their cars.

Backing both horses in this technology race seems damned smart to me.

So this phrase seems to be very clear:

Customers will be able to choose at any time which of these platforms they wish to use in their cars.

Backing both horses in this technology race seems damned smart to me.

Will be whichever device they plug in at the time. I'm kind of surprised as both system include free sat nav and Audi's MMI is pretty impressive by itself. All that said CarPlay would be welcomed.