Android Auto Retro-fit PFL?

Kuljit Singh

Reaction score
Hi guys, i know this topic has been discussed before but was looking for a updated definitive answer. I wanted to know if anyone recently has successfully had retro fitted any device/unit that has enabled android auto on their PFL A3 8v? Whats it like and any links to the product and fitters.

I have a MY2015 A3 with the standard 5.8" low res screen without tech pack. Was looking for a android auto solution to enable screen mirroring so i can use google maps and watch video in stationery on the mmi.

Thank you.

No official Audi OEM solution for pre-facelift vehicles. The MIB1 units (media units) they use don't contain the needed hardware and are now obsolete. The only way to get something similar to Audi Smartphone Interface would be to retrofit an Audi MIB2 system or by installation a 3rd party solution like the following:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...lay-Box-For-Audi-A3-A4-A5-A6/32909935812.html

Please note: the above link was found after a fast google search. I have no idea if this item is compatible with your vehicle and have posted the link for example / illustration purposes ONLY.

Reactions: Kuljit Singh
Thanks for reply. Are they any other UK based Car Audio Places (around the Midlands ideally) who can supply and fit these 3rd party units? What are the possilble costs?

P.s. i am intending not to necessarily. change the mmi screen or the unit in the glove box, just was wondering if something could be added to that to enable Android Auto on the Mmi? Any experiance/advice appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for reply. Are they any other UK based Car Audio Places (around the Midlands ideally) who can supply and fit these 3rd party units? What are the possilble costs?
Pass, I don’t really have the time to pay attention to what other businesses are up to. Google, Instagram and Facebook would prolly be your best places to look. Someone else here might know however...

P.s. i am intending not to necessarily. change the mmi screen or the unit in the glove box, just was wondering if something could be added to that to enable Android Auto on the Mmi? Any experiance/advice appreciated. Thanks.

A plug in box like the one I linked is your only real option then.

I just thought the 8v PFL is a good few years old now so there must be a few people on here who must have already fitted something 3rd party to enable Android Auto especially to use Google maps as the navigation option is quite dear. Just seeking advice from the seniors, no disrespect to anyone's trade. Thanks

I just thought the 8v PFL is a good few years old now so there must be a few people on here who must have already fitted something 3rd party to enable Android Auto especially to use Google maps as the navigation option is quite dear. Just seeking advice from the seniors, no disrespect to anyone's trade. Thanks
If you do a search, top right of the forum, I think you will find that people have either retrofitted OEM Audi MIB2 units, the 3rd party “box” I linked, a screen mirroring solution ie “miracast” based around your AMI port or an Andriod touch screen system (involved installation and steering controls don’t fully work). Unfortunately there are no other solutions available.

Grab yourself a “box” and a set of Audi radio removal keys. Simple self install and most cost effective.

Yes i did read upon that somewhere. What is the approx cost taking that route with the MiB2 currently? Thanks

Yes i did read upon that somewhere. What is the approx cost taking that route with the MiB2 currently? Thanks
Ranges from £800 to £3000 depending on where you go and if the parts are used or new. From me would be approx £2300.00 new.