Android Auto drama

Greg B

Reaction score
Have anyone sorted problem with randomly disconnecting Android Auto once for good?
It happens to me all the time. I have had 4 different cables including Anker , Amazon , Syncwire and genuine Samsung, combined with 2 different phones and there is still a case. I use Google maps for navigating and there is nothing more annoying than AA losing connection just befor series of turns!!!
Please if someone could point me to the right direction it will be amazing. Phones in use are Samsung Galaxy S10 & Galaxy S20

If you're on a B9 A4, I had the same problem on my B9 A5 Sportback, 2018MY.

Mine would work fine and with no hassles. Then it may, one day, decide to disconnect mid journey. As you know there is only that one usb port in the car that allows phone to android auto connection. The next time it would work no problem! No rhyme or reason to it.

It may have been an Android Auto problem however there is a known issue with Audi cars that Google has known about for a YEAR and has only now begun working on it with no time scale for a fix.

I'm now on a B9.5 A5 Sportback 2020MY, with no problems (non-wireless android auto, that's on 2021MY cars that went into production in July.)

The only problem I have is Waze loses its location in real time mid journey or doesn't find it at all. However, Google maps and everything else is fine with no hassles.

Reactions: Greg B
If you're on a B9 A4, I had the same problem on my B9 A5 Sportback, 2018MY.

Mine would work fine and with no hassles. Then it may, one day, decide to disconnect mid journey. As you know there is only that one usb port in the car that allows phone to android auto connection. The next time it would work no problem! No rhyme or reason to it.

It may have been an Android Auto problem however there is a known issue with Audi cars that Google has known about for a YEAR and has only now begun working on it with no time scale for a fix.

I'm now on a B9.5 A5 Sportback 2020MY, with no problems (non-wireless android auto, that's on 2021MY cars that went into production in July.)

The only problem I have is Waze loses its location in real time mid journey or doesn't find it at all. However, Google maps and everything else is fine with no hassles.

I have my 2018 A4 for 6 months now and have no issues with the connection. I use Silver Crest USB cable that I do not unplug from the vehicle. In the beginning I was using Google Maps but then switched to Waze because traffic cameras are marked. If you guys disconnect your cables from the car often, then the USB socket from the car's side may be worn already.

My car is registered early 2016, manufactured late 2015, so one of very first b9s. Your 2018 models could have had new polished version of MMI and AA module.

@HMG1K actually in my car both ports allow to connect to AA... and both are in the same way unreliable

@Airfan I keep my cables plugged in all the time and usb sockets seems to be tight and in good condition , however I will give them a good clean tomorrow

I've been battling with this for years on my golf with various phones and cables. I'm almost certain it's the connection between the cable and the phone. I resorted to putting my phone on a bed of microfibre cloths to absorb the bumps in the road with great success across multiple phones. Just got a new phone and trying to preserve the port by wirelessly charging as much as possible. Holding strong so far.

@eggraces it sounds very much like my problem. However there are days when I can play with cable and connected phone without any impact on AA. Next day I put phone steady and it disconnects every 30 seconds!!!
I will give a go to cloth lining in the cradle and see if it works.

GregB, have you tried just a usb pen drive with some music on it? I have an issue with just one of the two USB ports under the armrest which randomly disconnects regardless of what is plugged in to it. I think there is a fault with either the port itself, or the mmi unit. I'm hoping it's the former as I'm going to get it replaced at some point.

@Airfan phone behaves normally. Connects to computer without any issues, fast charging is always working. I dont really suspect phone to be a problem here, unless it is android software bug