Android Auto/Car Play Users

Sam77

Reaction score
Have any AA/Car Play users noticed that the left side of the screen does not recognise touch input?

I have tried this now on three C8's and with various phones but the issue still persists with all combinations. The only thing in common is that the C8's that I tested with (two saloons, one advant) were all fitted without the tech pack and have the same software releases.

If there are any AA/Car Play users that have not experienced this problem drop a comment below with what software versions your MMI is running as well as whether you have the Tech Pack option.

An easy way to test this is to open up a map application and start scrolling the map starting on the right of the screen and finishing on the left. You should get to a point where no input is detected. This can also be noticed in other applications that have menus and options displayed on the far left side such as Spotify.

Yep, same problem here and I dont have the tech pack either. It is conveniently located over where the settings button is for Google Maps, preventing the satellite view from being selected.

Also, should I be seeing the Google map view in the Audi navigation? Dont have virtual cockpit but wondered whether it could be enabled on the touchscreen.

Reactions: Whimsy
Yep, same problem here and I dont have the tech pack either. It is conveniently located over where the settings button is for Google Maps, preventing the satellite view from being selected.

Also, should I be seeing the Google map view in the Audi navigation? Dont have virtual cockpit but wondered whether it could be enabled on the touchscreen.

I'm glad that there are others. Ideally we need someone with a later software version or tech pack to confirm whether there is still an issue. The latest Android Auto GUI refresh didn't fix it either and it's even more broken now as they have moved more options to the left side of the screen.

You can either see on the cluster Audi navigation or Android Auto maps in the MMI. Not both at the same time unfortunately.

You can change the positioning of anything in the status bar by installing Good Lock...

You can change the positioning of anything in the status bar by installing Good Lock...

But that won't fix the mismatch of resolutions between the MMI and the phone. The MMI needs patching or requires the config to be updated to support the correct resolution and detect input throughout the whole display.

I didn't say it would, unfortunately, I was just helping you with your statement in post #3 about the status bar being 'broken', which, some are quite happy with..

Slightly OT of me @cuke2u but I think Good Lock is a must for anyone with a Samsung phone. I find myAudi sometimes doesnt launch itself when connecting to the MMI so I set up a routine in Good Lock to launch it automatically when connected to the car's Bluetooth.

Reactions: cuke2u
That status bar isn't the problem nor is it broken. Its the layout of AA/Car Play under the MMI. Imagine a screen with a digitizer in-front of it for touch input. The screen displays correctly as it set to the correct resolution however the digitizer is not which is why input is not detected on a certain part of the display. This dead-zone is where the majority of interactions can be found under AA/Car Play which cannot be moved.

However you stated "The latest Android Auto GUI refresh didn't fix it either and it's even more broken now as they have moved more options to the left side of the screen". Thus I suggested a fix for that which may or may not apply to what you were trying to say. However let's just leave it at that...

I had a play last night - I've not really used CarPlay since I got the car - and on my car (a non-Tech Pack Avant built in September last year) I found that using Apple Maps the screen was fully responsive but using Google Maps I could not move the map around or zoom it all using my fingers. Would suggest that perhaps the issue is with the Google Maps app and how it operates in the CarPlay environment as implemented on the Audi

I also noticed that the sound quality when playing a track from my iPhone via CarPlay was quite distorted when compared with playing it via the media app in the car using either the cable or over the bluetooth connection. Anyone else noticing issues with sound via CarPlay

I have the tech pack, but don't use Android Auto. I gave it a try this afternoon and can confirm that the whole of the MMI screen is active, using my Samsung S9 plus.
I really miss the haptic feedback using AA as well....

Thanks guys. It sounds like the tech pack (wider screen option) has been calibrated correctly to work with AA. Going by other posts on vwaudi and Reddit it looks like its a non-tech pack problem. Ideally it would be great to know if other users without the tech pack but with later MMI software releases have the same issue. The dead-spot area is shown below.

gazT7MM.jpg

Reactions: Whimsy
I dont have the tech pack, but still have the left hand side issue. Really bugging with Waze etc.

Has anyone raised this with Audi, or Google?

It's been raised with Audi and they are aware of the fault and apparently working on a fix. How long that will take to be released is another question.

Reactions: Whimsy and DaveW
So it has now been investigated and Audi are working on a fix.

From a post on VWAudi:

Ok, update.

Today my car was in for investigation, the tech confirmed the issue on car play and Android auto. He also video'd and then checked against another stock car - same problem and also video'd it.

Both videos have been sent to Audi who have confirmed it as an issue and have said they are already working on a fix, though its not likely due to until early next year.

Been meaning to see if i had this issue for ages, so tested it yesterday. I don't...the whole of my screen is functional to touch input.

Been meaning to see if i had this issue for ages, so tested it yesterday. I don't...the whole of my screen is functional to touch input.

Same thing here, fully functional, car less than a month old. It has the tech pack.