Andriod Head Unit - With or without volume knob?

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
I know Andriod head units have been discussed to death but I can seem to find opinions on having a volume knob vs the full touch screens...

I have an A3 8P Convertible with the standard Concert HU. Currently I have one of the CD shuttle emulators for Bluetooth which works really well but it is still old school and I keep on re-looking at the Andriod option. Initially, it was a no brainer and I was going to go for the Xtrons system with an 8" touch screen, 4gb or 6gb ram and all was well until I started wondering about a volume knob!!

I often use the steering wheel control but more often, I currently use the radio knob... This habit is the same in all my other cars with their modern factory systems. So I ask those who have an Andriod HU...

If you have the full touch screens.... So you find the touch volume controls annoying? slow to decrease 50% quickly when needed or mute entirely?

If you have a system with buttons and a volume know... Are you glad you when this route? Is it responsive or is there an annoying delay?

This would be a non brainer if the specs of the HU's were the same but I can find any units with 4 or more gigs of RAM / Decent current spec and running Andriod 12 preferably that have buttons and a knob... All the top spec units are full touch screens

If anyone has an Xtrons PE72AA3 (like the image below)... What is your experience with the unit? Slow? Do you wish it had more RAM?

Without buttons or knobs for me. You get a bigger screen which is easier to operate than small screen while driving. Bigger screen work better with CarPlay and auto.
make sure you at least have the soft touch buttons on the side as some of the ones I came across when looking for my mini didnt have them and you have to go into menus and stuff to change the volume, not a big problem when you have steering controls.

Without buttons or knobs for me. You get a bigger screen which is easier to operate than small screen while driving. Bigger screen work better with CarPlay and auto.
make sure you at least have the soft touch buttons on the side as some of the ones I came across when looking for my mini didnt have them and you have to go into menus and stuff to change the volume, not a big problem when you have steering controls.
Thank you. If I may ask... How much RAM do you have on yours? I am trying to decide if 6gb is worth a 40% price bump

Mine has 2gb ram and 32gb storage running android 11.
it’s responsive and quick enough. I mainly use CarPlay, wireless CP is a bit glitchy but wired is good, and torque pro with a Carista obd adapter so it’s good for diagnostics as well.
Boot times is roughly about 15-20 seconds. It’s booted up by the time I get to end of my street.
I would look up the apps you want to run and see how much ram you need. There are some monster apps require loads of ram but the ones I run are fine with 2gb.
things like CarPlay and auto runs on the phone so you don’t need much if that’s what you use all the time.

Mine has 2gb ram and 32gb storage running android 11.
it’s responsive and quick enough. I mainly use CarPlay, wireless CP is a bit glitchy but wired is good, and torque pro with a Carista obd adapter so it’s good for diagnostics as well.
Boot times is roughly about 15-20 seconds. It’s booted up by the time I get to end of my street.
I would look up the apps you want to run and see how much ram you need. There are some monster apps require loads of ram but the ones I run are fine with 2gb.
things like CarPlay and auto runs on the phone so you don’t need much if that’s what you use all the time.
Thank you

Did you have any luck buying and installing one of these units?

I have been looking at a very similar unit for my Audi after having no luck with custom fit head units.

It looks very user-friendly in the fact it has quad-lock and Fakra connectors on the rear, meaning no need for 3rd party wiring harnesses (I hope!)

It is also available from a UK distributer called Onbuy which is where I'll probably order mine.

My only concern is I do not know if it is wired appropriately inside the unit to support BOSE and steering wheel controls. Get the feeling the only way to find out is to take the plunge. :(

Did you have any luck buying and installing one of these units?

I have been looking at a very similar unit for my Audi after having no luck with custom fit head units.

It looks very user-friendly in the fact it has quad-lock and Fakra connectors on the rear, meaning no need for 3rd party wiring harnesses (I hope!)

It is also available from a UK distributer called Onbuy which is where I'll probably order mine.

My only concern is I do not know if it is wired appropriately inside the unit to support BOSE and steering wheel controls. Get the feeling the only way to find out is to take the plunge. :(
I landed up going with the following unit

I actually purchased it off Amazon UK (cheaper than their site) as I needed it shipped to South Africa. In the end, I wanted the Xtrons as it seemed to be very well reviewed and it came with everything (wiring harness, CANBUS module for the steering & BOSE filter). I went for the full touch version as Xtrons only had a 2gb ram version with buttons and I was worried about it lagging. I have just installed it and it works like a bomb. The volume controls are very quick and responsive, so it does not worry me not having a knob. The other reason for the Xtrons was their accessories... I got the review camera as well as the OBD II reader at the same time

Reactions: JRS89
I landed up going with the following unit

I actually purchased it off Amazon UK (cheaper than their site) as I needed it shipped to South Africa. In the end, I wanted the Xtrons as it seemed to be very well reviewed and it came with everything (wiring harness, CANBUS module for the steering & BOSE filter). I went for the full touch version as Xtrons only had a 2gb ram version with buttons and I was worried about it lagging. I have just installed it and it works like a bomb. The volume controls are very quick and responsive, so it does not worry me not having a knob. The other reason for the Xtrons was their accessories... I got the review camera as well as the OBD II reader at the same time

This is good news, the last head unit I tried to fit was very hit-or-miss when increasing/decreasing the volume using the steering wheel control.

Is your volume control the same as mine on the steering wheel?

Audi Steering Wheel

Also - did you have any static from the rear speakers? I have heard in some cases you need to buy a harness extension to avoid this problem.

Last edited:
This is good news, the last head unit I tried to fit was very hit-or-miss when increasing/decreasing the volume using the steering wheel control.

Is your volume control the same as mine on the steering wheel?

View attachment 266444

Also - did you have any static from the rear speakers? I have heard in some cases you need to buy a harness extension to avoid this problem.
Steering is exactly the same and works perfectly. I just need to code out my Bluetooth module as the mode button causes confusion as both react.

I dont have a BOSE system, so dont have the problem but I can confirm it came with the filter / module to fix that problem. I am about to install the Alpine upgrade with DSP amp, so if it causes the problem, it is good to know I have the fix already

I've had an Xtrons OEM 'lookalike' retro styled unit for about 5 years now in my Audi A4 B7 S-Line Avant. I personally like the buttons and the 7" screen is still plenty big enough for me - bigger than the original Sat Navs for these cars and bigger than in a B8. It was plug and play from day 1 with no hum/interference on my non-Bose half amplified system. It's sounds every bit as good as the Symphony 6 CD system it replaced (except the radio and they're always rubbish because there's no good solution for the diversity 2-way antena, originally fitted). It's 4GB ram and 32GB rom, and it still fast and smooth handling apps. BT/Wifi and GPS have all worked perfectly. Steering wheel controls (similar to the picture above) all worked with the Canbus box that came with it, except push pause. But I have for a few years used the Headunit Reloaded app for, first wired Android Auto and then wireless. Changes Google made to AA recently, have made wifi a bit flaky, so I bought a Motorola MA1 dongle with 5GHz wifi and that works perfectly for wireless AA again. I had to use an App called MTCDTools to get my mic button work for Google Assistant and phone calls with AA, and disable the car HU's Bluetooth app to stop the phone overlay coming up. It works great and I mostly use voice commands from the steering wheel for nav, calls, spotify etc.

I didn't have to disable the Audi Bluetooth either - just unpaired it from the phone - it's still alive and I see it sometimes but it never interferes. I have the original cradle in the armrest, with the proximity antena booster, which still works too for a better data signal to the shark fin + plus it's a good charging point for when the phone is running low on juice with wireless AA. I replaced the original mic, in the courtesy light console with a good quality aftermarket one to the HU, and calls/ voice commands are strong and clear too.

These Chinese Android HUs come in for a lot of flack and some of them are now not much cheaper than the main branded ones but mine has been brilliant and was about 250 quid all in at the time. The various accessories, like dongles, Dab+, TMPS, rear view cameras are rubbish though and better to try and get higher quality ones working with them. My dvr cam has been great but I have had 2 Dab+ dongles die and the stick on antenna was rubbish and I'm about to fit my third Xtrons number plate parking sensor/rear view cam unit. This time I've sealed it all over where I could, I still don't think it will last long though.

Attachments

• 342967556_966898111346911_665785915491724256_n.jpg
    342967556_966898111346911_665785915491724256_n.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I've had an Xtrons OEM 'lookalike' retro styled unit for about 5 years now in my Audi A4 B7 S-Line Avant. I personally like the buttons and the 7" screen is still plenty big enough for me - bigger than the original Sat Navs for these cars and bigger than in a B8. It was plug and play from day 1 with no hum/interference on my non-Bose half amplified system. It's sounds every bit as good as the Symphony 6 CD system it replaced (except the radio and they're always rubbish because there's no good solution for the diversity 2-way antena, originally fitted). It's 4GB ram and 32GB rom, and it still fast and smooth handling apps. BT/Wifi and GPS have all worked perfectly. Steering wheel controls (similar to the picture above) all worked with the Canbus box that came with it, except push pause. But I have for a few years used the Headunit Reloaded app for, first wired Android Auto and then wireless. Changes Google made to AA recently, have made wifi a bit flaky, so I bought a Motorola MA1 dongle with 5GHz wifi and that works perfectly for wireless AA again. I had to use an App called MTCDTools to get my mic button work for Google Assistant and phone calls with AA, and disable the car HU's Bluetooth app to stop the phone overlay coming up. It works great and I mostly use voice commands from the steering wheel for nav, calls, spotify etc.

I didn't have to disable the Audi Bluetooth either - just unpaired it from the phone - it's still alive and I see it sometimes but it never interferes. I have the original cradle in the armrest, with the proximity antena booster, which still works too for a better data signal to the shark fin + plus it's a good charging point for when the phone is running low on juice with wireless AA. I replaced the original mic, in the courtesy light console with a good quality aftermarket one to the HU, and calls/ voice commands are strong and clear too.

These Chinese Android HUs come in for a lot of flack and some of them are now not much cheaper than the main branded ones but mine has been brilliant and was about 250 quid all in at the time. The various accessories, like dongles, Dab+, TMPS, rear view cameras are rubbish though and better to try and get higher quality ones working with them. My dvr cam has been great but I have had 2 Dab+ dongles die and the stick on antenna was rubbish and I'm about to fit my third Xtrons number plate parking sensor/rear view cam unit. This time I've sealed it all over where I could, I still don't think it will last long though.
So interesting about the radio... Never thought of it from the 2way antenna... I must the Xtrons is not bad on FM reception but not perfect. Everything else works perfectly and I have gotten used to the full touch screen

What launcher app are you using or is that Andriod auto? Excuse the ignorance... I have an Apple phone but Car Play wirelessly kills my battery and has a number of limitation / flaws... So trying to find a nice Launcher App.

Re the Xtrons camera... What issue did you have that you add to seal it? I have installed a "mounted" version, so hoping it may not have the same problem

Attachments

• IMG_4048.jpeg
    IMG_4048.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
So interesting about the radio... Never thought of it from the 2way antenna... I must the Xtrons is not bad on FM reception but not perfect. Everything else works perfectly and I have gotten used to the full touch screen
Yes the radio is useable, but the original diversity antena amp received modulation data from the OEM HU, hence 2 Fakras (The yellow one being the data). Most aftermarket antena booster adaptors, incorrectly join both Fakras to the single input of the Android HU, which is pointless, since only one is giving a signal. So although you get reception, the full quality rejection of unwanted FM interference is not being achieved. There's no real solution for this other than for the HU unit to supply this modulation signal; some more expensive units used to but since this antena system is very old now, it's unlikely there is any market for such a feature, any longer. There is a way to improve it greatly, by looping at the antena amp itself, but I've never tried it and I rarely care about FM (or Dab) radio these days, to bother.

What launcher app are you using or is that Andriod auto? Excuse the ignorance... I have an Apple phone but Car Play wirelessly kills my battery and has a number of limitation / flaws... So trying to find a nice Launcher App.
On the HU itself, I use Agama Launcher, very good. I have all the apps working too, including Sygic nav, installed. But yes that is wireless Android Auto on the screen and I use that now for almost all things; Voice command and phone calls are easier to control from the steering wheel mic button with it and that makes a huge difference. You can even play and answer texts/Whatsapp with voice commands too. It's a faff to get them working without, on the HU itself.

Re the Xtrons camera... What issue did you have that you add to seal it? I have installed a "mounted" version, so hoping it may not have the same problem
I don't use that camera, I use this one: https://xtrons.co.uk/universal-reversing-camera-cam008 . It has parking sensors plus the camera built in. When it works it's great but the camera has failed twice, I think because it is not waterproofed properly and my valeter spray jet, I suspect the cause fo death. The new one I've installed, I've added silicon sealant too - we'll see.

Last edited: