And to top of a terrible week...

Marc18

Reaction score
IMAG0012

What can only be described as a boulder came flying at me on the way home from work.
Turns out I don't have windscreen cover on my insurance either.
Fuming!

Anyone any idea how much I'll be looking at from audi for a new screen fitted?

I thought cover of some sorts is always provided! Who are you with?

From their site:

Even more cover as standard
When shopping for comprehensive car insurance you need to know you're getting the right benefits for you. Elephant won't compromise your cover for a good deal.

Windscreen repair
If you get a chip in your windscreen we'll repair or replace it for you (excess applies).

Just give them a call.....good luck ;)

I had a new screen 6 weeks into ownership after something similar. Autoglass fitted it - totally hassle free.

Reactions: Marc18
Thanks very much mate, forgot to have a proper look through the anger ha

lol not a problem been there and done that...your pride and joy is damaged so the red mist comes down :) I think on average the excess is around £80 for a replacement...or £10 for a repair! Obviously you need a replacement.

That's not as bad as expected, how's it usually work? I ring them and they have to come and inspect or do I just ring them then go straight to local centre?
My first time having to deal with anything like this

Done this on my Leon a few months back basically phoned the number on their website which turned out to be a preferential direct dial to Autoglass, paid my £60 excess and they sorted everything out from there never needed to make another call and they even came to my work to change the windshield. Very professional and hassle free hopefully you get the same service with Elephant.

Done this on my Leon a few months back basically phoned the number on their website which turned out to be a preferential direct dial to Autoglass, paid my £60 excess and they sorted everything out from there never needed to make another call and they even came to my work to change the windshield. Very professional and hassle free hopefully you get the same service with Elephant.

Sounds great, hope I get the same service, definitely don't wanna drive it anywhere in case it gets worse

If you are fussy you can ask autoglass for Audi oem glass. Just takes a bit longer and they have to get approval from your insurance company

I have an Elephant policy on another car and it has windscreen cover - policy docs say its automatically included if a fully comp policy......

Last edited:
Reactions: Marc18
Happened to me 2 weeks ago. (I also am insured through elephant). Just gave them a call and got redirected to autoglass, They are due to come round on Thursday to fix it. I also requested OE Glass which was accepted by elephant. (Probably due to the car was under a month old).

Good call on requesting OE glass otherwise the trademarks will not match !!

View attachment 56467
What can only be described as a boulder came flying at me on the way home from work.
Turns out I don't have windscreen cover on my insurance either.
Fuming!

Anyone any idea how much I'll be looking at from audi for a new screen fitted?
Least it only hit the screen. A few years ago while driving a company van a goodly sized stone that was wedged in between a trucks rear tyres flew off and hit the bonnet of my van leaving a nice dent then whacked into the screen scaring the crap out of me, the stone then bounced onto the roof leaving another goodly dent.

Better that than making love to the bodywork.

Totally agree 2" higher and the cost and hassle would be much more than the £80 excess! I've had many windscreens fitted on various cars over the years and Autoglass always do a good job. Apart from losing the Audi rings I can never see the difference. It's normally Pilkington glass anyway!

Ouch. Sorry to hear. As others have said, better the windscreen than bodywork (or aircon condenser), though ideal is for it not to happen at all.

John.

Yeah, sorted now. Only problem is that the only available appointment was Wednesday.
It appears my 4 days off work will be stuck in the house :(

Happened to me 2 weeks ago. (I also am insured through elephant). Just gave them a call and got redirected to autoglass, They are due to come round on Thursday to fix it. I also requested OE Glass which was accepted by elephant. (Probably due to the car was under a month old).

It's worth getting the OE glass.
I bought my current car 2nd hand and had an issue with the auto wipers. As it was still under warranty I booked it in to the dealers. They took one look and said the windscreen had been changed as it wasn't an Audi one and wouldn't look at the fault under warranty.

Yep match the symbols on the glass. There are a few different options such as auto dimming rear view, added sound proofing, or nothing. All effect price

Get OE glass, I use Aviva and had my screen replaced earlier this year with OE Audi glass.

Make sure Autoglass take care with the black sealant goo, as they are prone to put too much on and if the screen's not 100% square when it's put on, it could ooze/smear out and make a real mess! I'd see if they can use one the newer articulated screen arm-things they are rolling out, as that should keep things under control.

Having said that, they did a great job on my screen, apart from getting a chip in it 2 weeks later... but I don't think that's their fault :D

Good luck.

Dam man that's bad! And bad luck! I remember asking for a new oe windscreen for my 2002 Audi A4 (2009 when I asked) and it was around £800. No auto lights either (for sensor)

Went with a £50 excess and got a new non oe one. Didn't have the car long after that anyway.

All booked in for replacement on Wednesday, £75 excess.
At least it's sorted nice and easy, just wish I could use the car. Glad I'm off work for 4 days though, little bit less hassle