And another problem to the list Advice please

dentsy

Love this B7 cab
Reaction score
Website
www.ftd-technics.co.uk
hi, the wife's B8 2.0 tdi 143 has now got another problem . Intermittently she will get a very very slight clutch slip when changing gears car revs to 2.5 k then it rectifies itself almost immediately not like a normal full clutch slip where you need to back off the power or change gear to stop the slip. Twice now too we have been in a car park manoeuvring to a space and the clutch pedal is fully to the floor and before you can release it the car stalls, took the car to an Indy yesterday and after 1 HR of driving it he could only get it to do the slight clutch slip once and he also confirmed that it immediately seemed to rectify itself. He gave us the crazy cost of replacing the clutch and DMF but he said he was not sure that thus was the problem, I explained about issues that I have read about regarding the clutch master cylinder losing pressure and he said that yes that could give you these symptoms and obviously that's a much cheaper cost to replace. The garage does not want to just run away with changing a clutch only to find that the problem is still there. I am thinking that it's defo the the master cylinder but would really appreciate done advice and input from anyone on here as soon as possible please ,
Thanks
Si

Sounds like a slightly strange fault.It would seem prudent to me too look at possibly changing the master cylinder and see how it goes. I presume the car has been checked for errors as there is a clutch position sensor that the ECU uses to measure the clutch position. This is used by the car to detect when to release the handbrake and also limits the engine torque for a short period of time when changing gear. This makes for smoother gear changes.
When the car stalled in the car park was the handbrake on?. Does your car have hill hold ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUI...L-MASTER-CYLINDER-8K2-721-401-G-/281766887656

Karl

Hi mate, many thanks for the help . The handbrake was off and hill hold still works. Out in car now today and no slip at all so far , it's a really strange fault as you said mate . the garage do not have full vagcom but I am sure they scanned it using other software ?

Si

The clutch position sensor appears to be intergrated into the master cylinder anyway so changing that will change the sensor.

Ok that's brill mate thank you for you input yet again
The reason I was thinking of the master cylinder was because of my crazy mind trying to work it out as the car has had new discs and pads all round but it still every now and again gives a pulse through the brake pedal when stopping. And I was thinking that ok the brake fluid and clutch fluid use the same reservoir and that a loss of pressure somewhere could be causing this ? The garage checked the brakes and they are all fine but did say that one of the rear calipers is giving a very slight pulse on the brake machine but it is that slight that they would not even pick it up on mot . Am I totally mind crazy to think that the clutch cylinder is losing pressure and this is affecting the fluid in the reservoir causing this pulse to omit I to the brake pedal too or am I nuts lol ,

Kind regards

Si

I held of mentioning this as it's not an Audi. However just in the extremely unlikely event it helps : I had a SEAT Ibiza with identical symptoms. Intermittent and hard to reproduce clutch slip. It turned out the slave cylinder was leaking and causing the clutch to slip. Fluid was getting onto the clutch. New slave cylinder and clutch fixed it. I had to take a punt on getting the garage to fit a new clutch. It was only as part of that they found the real cause but the clutch was damaged anyway by the leak.

Ok here's the update :-
New clutch cylinder fitted car still the same so it's defo the clutch
Will have to look around to buy the bits b4 it can be done as the garage said its a 6hr plus job.
I will be looking to buy the clutch and DMF ready for when this one goes.
Anyone advise on LUK or Sachs ?

Regards,

Si

Hi mate, just checked and no it's not a bad price at all. My Indy charges £40 hr plus vat orig he said around 7 hrs labour and the cost was just shy of a grand but I will have to query this as my old B7 had a clutch and dmf replaced just b4 I sold it for £750. I can't see why a B8 2.0 tdi 143 engine code CAGA would be so much more expensive.

Si
I will keep my eyes peeled for a complete kit going for a song including DMF you never know my luck lol