An oil thread (bare with me)

Shane-Ireland

Reaction score
So the definitive (ultimate) oil thread isn't very definitive at all.

I am due an oil change stage 1 2008 S3 and reading mixed reports online about people switching to 5w40, some have even said there car was burning less oil using this. I am burning about 1L every 5k so far from dire straits.

Anyone here using 5w40 ?

Also i don't have my manual to hand, what spec does our car need ? 504 .00 ? 507.00? or something else.

All input appreciated.

Reactions: mechanic69, S3Alex and Shane-Ireland
I'm using Miller NanodriveCFS 10w50 NT+,and for a Stg2+/Stg3 car the 5w50 Nanodrive or Motul equivalent will be fine.

We switched to the 10w50 variant to cut down blow-by and oil usage on a much more powerful engine.

Reactions: HHS3 and Shane-Ireland
This oil confusion business will continue indefinitely .

Your Stage 1 S3 will be fine on 5W30 504.00 if used on the road and it's not abnormaly consuming oil .

If it's consuming oil , used for the track or German Autobhan where prolonged high oil temps are experienced go to a 5W40 ester racing oil .

Stage 2 , 2+ , 5W40 ester racing oil .

If lots of track etc or abnormal oil consumption go thicker as Alex did .

Reactions: HHS3, S3Alex and Shane-Ireland
What about 5w40 castrol edge or similar off the shelf stuff that meets the spec ? Is the millers racing stuff a little too OTT?

Castrol Edge 5W40 is a backwards step in quality as it's 502.00 505.01 .

It's a thin 40 so no different from the thick 30 of 504.00 .

Reactions: adi3390 and Shane-Ireland
What about 5w40 castrol edge or similar off the shelf stuff that meets the spec ? Is the millers racing stuff a little too OTT?

My Dad who was born in 1920 had a background in engineering. He did most of his own servicing.
I remember him saying to me that "The best oil is the cheapest" I was quite perplexed at this statement as he always used the best, most expensive oil which back in those days was Castrol GTX on his Triumphs or Vauxhall.
What he meant was the best oil is cheapest in the long run as it gave the best protection to the bearings etc. So less chance of engine damage and so less painful on your wallet!
So the Millers oil is not over the top, it will do a great job.
I have heard of people having a worn cam follower when using an uprated fuel pump after only 2,000 miles. I recently checked the follower on a TTS with a Loba pump that had done 3,500 miles using Millers Nanodrive. The cam follower was totally unmarked.
Maybe the one that had worn out in such a low mileage was using inferior oil.
I had 5 litres of last year's version of Millers Nanodrive. I had the new version in my S3 so I put the older oil in my Mk 4 Golf 1.8T. It has never run as smoothly as now at 120,000 miles and it rarely needs topping up.

It is worth spending the extra £20 on an oil change for peace of mind, especially if your car is running above the makers intended specification.

Reactions: HHS3, Shane-Ireland and Sandra

For most purposes that will be fine...I used that on mine at Stg2+ and Stg3,and the engine was within OEM tolerances when it was rebuilt at 40k miles.

I swapped to the Miller 5-40, my car had was standard regards to map but it still took around 400-600ml every 1k (depending how I drove it).

Reactions: S3Alex and Shane-Ireland
Thanks for the feedback everyone i went ahead and ordered the millers oil, it only works out a 3 euro a litre dearer than i was paying for castrol 5w30.

I will report back in time :)

I've noticed my S3 smokes a bit when I accelerate hard, a mate commented about this the other day too when I accelerated from stand still,
Is this a common trait with the S3 or is the oil to thin or possible PVC issues ?

Cars on 39k, Revo stage 1 and currently been using Castro Edge 5w30.
The car does like a drop of oil, certainly more than my old 8L S3 did..

Some TFSI engines seem to drink oil. We have a TT 2.0 TFSI and it needs regular top ups. However our TTS rarely needs a top up. Maybe it is all to do with the initial break in process but both of these cars were 2nd hand and so we will never know.
So on stage 1 the Millers oil will be just the job.

Reactions: Essflee