1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

An embarrassing question regarding replacing xenon bulbs

scoss Mar 27, 2017

1. scoss

scoss Registered User

Only had the car 9 months and well I was thinking that when one of my bulbs does go in the future would I simple go to Halfords to by a new pair for an Audi? Are they relatively simple to replace if so?

Out of interest what is the standard colour? For a s line 8v 4300 or 5000k?

Thanks

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc Registered User

You'll be shocked to learn that the approved method for replacing the xenon bulbs involves removing the entire front bumper!

AudiNutta and Rob2k68 like this.
  4. Rob2k68

Rob2k68 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Yep - certainly wouldn't go for Halfords for this !!

AudiNutta likes this.
  5. Sandra

Sandra Administrator Staff Member Administrator Platinum Supporter Audi Main Dealer

Send a message to our site sponsor @t8ups , he will sort you out with any bulbs you need. :)

6. h5djr

h5djr Registered User Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

You may be pleased to hear that I have had three A3's with xenon headlights, each for just under 3 years and never had a bulb go in any of them.

simonali likes this.
  7. billy.rt

billy.rt Registered User

Another silly question from me now haha... Am I right in assuming if the bulb would need a replacement and you take it to Audi they would charge one hours labour and obviously for the bulb so you could be looking at anything up to £150 for a bulb replacement or is that me be ridiculous?

8. AudiNutta

AudiNutta Moderator Staff Member Moderator Gold Supporter

If you buy a non standard part, you'd be better replacing both because of the colour matching.

Going back 3/4 years ago, we paid £100 for a pair on eBay for a Volvo.

9. Neil C

Neil C Registered User

"Remember children, there are no silly questions . . . just silly people" - Mr Garrison, South Park Elementary

:playful:

HarveW and AudiNutta like this.
  10. mfl

mfl Registered User

bulb lasted just over 2 years and the dealer took 2 days to replace the bulb because they had to remove the front bumper...

11. Tom.H

Tom.H Registered User

Had my R32 nearly 9 years and never had one go :grinning:

KenL likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Tony-c-

Tony-c- Revo stage 2 current dyno 320hp 392ft lbs/531nm :D

Xenon bulbs are covered under your manufacturers warranty as they are seen as a lifetime bulb.

KenL likes this.
  14. scoss

scoss Registered User

Getting lots of different views here. I'm shocked to find it's a bumper off job.

Is this really how you're supposed to change the bulbs?

15. richinsoton

richinsoton Registered User

16. scoss

scoss Registered User

richinsoton likes this.
  17. h5djr

The theory is that the Xenon light units should last the life of the car and should not need changing like ordinary bulbs.

The wording in the latest Owner's Manual says "LED and xenon lights are maintenance free and cannot be changed. For repairs, please contact a qualified workshop." The manual shows how to change the other bulbs but not the main headlight units.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  18. h5djr

I have just had a look in the Warranty section on the Audi UK website and it says:
    Light bulbs (Xenon/gas discharge bulbs and LED’s are covered for the full warranty offered with the vehicle)

19. scoss

scoss Registered User

Mines out of warranty now. Fingers crossed!

20. MrFlibble

MrFlibble Guest

They may be warrantied, but they do have a limited life - in the region of 1000-1500 hours. This is much better than halogen headlights which are in the 250 hour region (150 if you get uprated bulbs like "nightbreakers").

LEDs should be in the region of 10,000 to 20,000 hours- but the technology is still too new to prove this.

21. richinsoton

Especially when you consider the carrying a bulb pack when travelling abroad nonsense. I'd love to see a someone do one of these babies roadside!!!.

22. cemerson

cemerson Registered User

That's a point... I presume there's an exemption for LEDs from this law?

23. h5djr

I suppose thy could argue that the bulb kit should contain all the normal bulbs but not xenon and LED headlights. In the UK if you were driving with only one headlight working the police could issue a notice to get it sorted within a specified timescale and then go to a police station to have it checked. Personally I would not fancy the idea of changing any bulbs on an A3 'by the roadside' and would almost certainly not have the necessary tools in the car.

richinsoton likes this.
  24. richinsoton

Very contradictory advise from the two main bodies you initially would think would get this right. RAC you must carry bulbs & AA no mention of them!?! -

upload_2017-3-28_11-6-20.png

upload_2017-3-28_11-6-51.png

I suppose you could argue that a Xenon & LED are neither incandescent lamps in the traditional sense of what a light bulb is & therefore don't form part of the 'bulb kit'?.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  25. h5djr

I always carry a spare bulb kit in the car which has all the 'normal' bulbs in it but obviously no headlight units. Fortunately I've never had to use it.

I have needed the Hi-Vis vests and warning triangle when I had a puncture on the autobahn just as a crossed from Holland in to Germany. Sat on the hard shoulder for a while waiting for the ADAC (via Audi Assistance) to come and change the wheel for me.

26. audigex

audigex Registered User

OP I wouldn't worry about it particularly: it's rare for one to go at all. I'm on 5 years with my A3 and so far I've lost a grand total of one of the two number plate lights.

27. cemerson

cemerson Registered User

The car comes with the warning triangle, first aid kit and hi vis jacket so no problems there. All the lights on my car are LED now so probably not too much you can do about that, don't need a GB sticker if you have the Euro style numberplate with GB on it, and don't need headlight beam converters with the LEDs or Xenons anyway. Just the breathalysers needed really and you're sorted!

28. h5djr

Not sure about LED headlights, but the xenon on my a3 can be set for European driving using the MMI and using the setting 'Lights for driving on right'. According to the manual LED headlights are suitable for driving on either side of the road.
    I can remember with my earlier A3s having to move a lever on the back of the halogen headlights to change them for European driving. When I first had xenon headlights I used to change them using VCDS.

29. mfl

mfl Registered User

Just to revive an old tread, the same bulb just went again, I won't mention the haldex and the manifold flap code (p2014) that has just caused the engine check light to come on, I'm really loving the Audi reliability ...