Amp and Sub Installation

TDIQ

8L > 8P > 8V
Reaction score
Hi, I've just got an Alpine IDA-X200 headunit, along with an amp and a sub for the boot. I wondered if the headunit will cause any problems as I recall somewhere saying something about K-Line problems with certain headunits?

Also, where can I run the power cable for the amp through? Where do I hide the wires in the car?

Finally, is it safe to remove my old Chorus tape unit and Audi subwoofer in the boot? Is there a way to make sure my radio isn't locked by a code if I disconnect the battery before I install my amp?

I've never installed any amps or subs in a car, just a new headunit so I don't want to damage the electrical system in my car at all. Am I right in connecting the amps +ve terminal to the +ve on the battery, and then the ground terminal to the body of the car somewhere?

Thanks very much

There's a handy spare grommet up under the wiper scuttle on the passenger side, next to the pollen filter:
A3grommet.jpg

All the cables can be run down the passenger side of the car once you've removed the trim. If you download my stealth sub installation instructions there's pretty much all the info you need:
http://no3ntry.cozywebhost.com/andymac/AMSS_8L_Installation_Manual.pdf

Don't really know what you mean about the Chorus getting locked out. If you have a pre2001 A3 (non CANBUS) then the HU will lock as soon as power is disconnected regardless of how you do it, so you will need the radio code, if you have a CANBUS A3 2001 onwards then the HU will work without the radio code as long as it is installed in the same vehicle. You can tell if you have CANBUS or not as you won't have a switched live feed for the Alpine so it won't work. To get it to work you'll need to pair the perm live and ignition on lives together and turn the HU on/off manually or wire in a switched live from the fusebox, or buy a CANBUS emulator.

Last edited: