amk 210 v bam 225 what do you think are the differences ????

8YA335TDI1STED

Reaction score
Hi all rather curious about this one , done loads of searches but cant find a definitive answer

would just like to know what are the mechanical differences between the 210amk and the later 225bam engines, most threads seem to indicate its purely a different map and thats all can anyone in the know confirm this theory ??

it must be a little difference in the map, since when you get a remap, AMK and BAM have the same figures.

If im not wrong, when audi first launched the TT 225Q, they wanted to be distinguished (is that a word? lol), so they made it have a little more power than the S3 of the time (1999-2000-2001) and thats all. So they gave the TT another map and 15 extra bhp. After the TT had made its place in the car market, S3 and TT had the same engine and same map (2002-2003).

Yes that's my understanding too; Audi wanted the TT to have the more powerful engine which is why the S3 initially kept the 210bhp unit. I'm also not clear what the differences between the various iterations of the 210 vs 225 1.8T though. Can anyone clarify this? I think I read somewhere that the BAM has variable valve timing too?

Mechanically AMK and BAM are the same... VVT, no SAI, wideband lambda, EGT probe.... biggest change was APY to AMK... chances are Audi would have retained the AMK code if it hadn't decided to up the power to 225

<tuffty/>

BAM is better, everyone knows that, fact

Lol

so the only difference is the stamp for the engine code then ?

Ok, yes and no.... mechanically and spec wise then yes they are the same... there are of course subtle differences which make no difference to the performance but are a result of Audi using up the parts bin for the change over to facelift S3's...

One example of this is the bevel box bracket... an AMK S3 (Dane's) that is in for rods has a cast alloy bracket supporting the bevel box to the engine block whereas mine (also an AMK) has a pressed steel one... there will also be revisions to parts that change slightly over the years such as later version coil packs and stuff... depends where you want to go with it all...

At the end of the day, AMK and BAM map up the same... there is no compelling reason to choose BAM over AMK and vice versa other than BAM are in newer S3's... if you can afford to buy a newer S3 you will get a BAM, go for a changeover facelift and you get an AMK...

Same internals, same head... the earlier AMK's had the drillings for the SAI blocked with steel ball bearings as heads were being used up but are still the same small port head the BAM have (and the APY for that matter).

The differences are minimal and largely academic

<tuffty/>

Reactions: mikedom78
Ok, yes and no.... mechanically and spec wise then yes they are the same... there are of course subtle differences which make no difference to the performance but are a result of Audi using up the parts bin for the change over to facelift S3's...

One example of this is the bevel box bracket... an AMK S3 (Dane's) that is in for rods has a cast alloy bracket supporting the bevel box to the engine block whereas mine (also an AMK) has a pressed steel one... there will also be revisions to parts that change slightly over the years such as later version coil packs and stuff... depends where you want to go with it all...

At the end of the day, AMK and BAM map up the same... there is no compelling reason to choose BAM over AMK and vice versa other than BAM are in newer S3's... if you can afford to buy a newer S3 you will get a BAM, go for a changeover facelift and you get an AMK...

Same internals, same head... the earlier AMK's had the drillings for the SAI blocked with steel ball bearings as heads were being used up but are still the same small port head the BAM have (and the APY for that matter).

The differences are minimal and largely academic

<tuffty/>
thanks for the info Tuffty but what do you mean by small port head ?? is there a different head that does the same job ??

Sorry to piggy back onto this thread but...

Does anyone know if an APY will map to the same power as an AMK/BAM?

Thanks in advance

Alex

thanks for the info Tuffty but what do you mean by small port head ?? is there a different head that does the same job ??

VAG 20v heads come in small port and large port flavours... check my build thread for some info on the differences... I now run a large port head as its better suited for higher power from larger turbo's

Sorry to piggy back onto this thread but...

Does anyone know if an APY will map to the same power as an AMK/BAM?

Thanks in advance

Alex

210ps std same as the AMK... BAM is 225ps (note ps not bhp) (edit... and yes as Welly says below they will map to similar power)

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
VAG 20v heads come in small port and large port flavours... check my build thread for some info on the differences... I now run a large port head as its better suited for higher power from larger turbo's

210ps std same as the AMK... BAM is 225ps (note ps not bhp) (edit... and yes as Welly says below they will map to similar power)

<tuffty/>
that thread is huge m8 give me a clue what page to start on lol :anbet:

One thing nobody has considered yet, mine is a BAM, therefore it is better:)

BAM seems like a model year change with some engineering changes. Could be hundreds of changes but they'd be so subtle. Probably so engineers could justify their job until the 8p launch lol. Never seen a BAM car with 600bhp so :p haha!

APY/AMK/AGU ftw :)

I say that because my car probably has a mix of all them parts lol

Hi again sorry to piggy back on this thread. My 2002 51 plate BAM engine just started misfiring and smoking really badly..took it to the mechanics and done a basic diagnostic they done a compression test and are saying cylinder 3 has no compression I have a 2000 AMK Engine sitting there could I just replace the bare engine and connect onto everything on my car? Is it that simple?

Hi again sorry to piggy back on this thread. My 2002 51 plate BAM engine just started misfiring and smoking really badly..took it to the mechanics and done a basic diagnostic they done a compression test and are saying cylinder 3 has no compression I have a 2000 AMK Engine sitting there could I just replace the bare engine and connect onto everything on my car? Is it that simple?
Pretty much yes...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: audi_a3
Pretty much yes...

<tuffty/>
Ok perfect. Saved me an arm and leg what things should I do once it's been replaced to the AMK Engine to make sure it's in good working order. Also what does this mean for the revo map?

Ok perfect. Saved me an arm and leg what things should I do once it's been replaced to the AMK Engine to make sure it's in good working order. Also what does this mean for the revo map?
Arguably nothing... mechanically its the same engine...

Revo can be a bit aggressive though and if you have got a bent rod then the aggressiveness could be a contributing factor.. worth getting it on a dyno to check that its still a suitable map for your hardware and its condition

<tuffty/>

So after the engine change over get it dyno'd again?

Perfect appreciate the help will let you know how I get on.

So after the engine change over get it dyno'd again?

Perfect appreciate the help will let you know how I get on.
By dyno'd I mean health checked to ensure that the map is adjusted correctly for your engine...

<tuffty/>