Ami worrying for nothing ?.

cawsey20

Reaction score
Hi there,
Im such a worryer with my cars !, Basically my S3 has done 114k just run in obviously !. I have had it a few months and had a stage 1 etcetc.
Im worried for the clutch really , i have done a few runs at gti inters and also santa pod with no issues atall. A few weeks back when i went to santa pod it was fine all day long , sunday morning i took the mum out for the day and first thing it slipped once. I naturally thought o dear here we go , literely that one slip and it hasnt done it since :S. That was a month or so ago now .
I have done a quick video as i have never had experience with a 4wd car before , do they always bog down a little when you launch them ? or is it slippage.

I have seen a few videos on youtube of people spinning the wheels up when launching is that normal o do you have to run lots of power ?.
I know it would make sence for me to change the clutch if i was worried but as it seems fine i don't see the need to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygRoH8Z0Erg
Maybe a bit high for a normal launch but you get the idea.

I mean i ran 14 seconds dead at santa pod and 14.32 at gti inters with a 0-60 of 5.5 so everything seems healthy.
Sorry to be such a dumb *** here just stop me worrying ! lol.
I

they wont take to many launches on a standard clutch as it hard to get the wheels to light up the power has to go somewhere until it has set off, did you smell the clutch?

No mate not really , its been fine really apart from that one slip :S.

Bogging down in an S3 launch is normal, it's quite difficult to get the perfect launch in my opinion, but you will have a grin right accross your face when you get it right, cos you just know it!

0-60 in 5.5 is impressive, my best time 0-60 is 5.9 in my S3.

I have changed my clutch less than two weeks ago, I have had more than 16 runs at santa pod over two different times with the old one, and I can honestly tell you there was no need to change it what so ever. it was on the car for 3 years with me and God knows how long before that.

old clutch was LUK
new one is LUK, felt soft for the first 20 miles then back to being hard as usual, even with new fluid.

therefore I would say not to worry.

errrr that seems a bit brutal for normal behaviour especially on an aging car/clutch

seems like its holding up well tho if its all originaly

My S3 has just hit 118K on original clutch and its still going strong. To avoid any bogging down you'll need ESP off and you'll need to launch at about 5K revs.

A good test I used to find for clutches was to stick the car into 4th gear and floor it up a steady hill. If its slipping you'll soon know it.

Cheers for all the advise guys, (jojo) yer the 5.5 was recorded at gti with a 1/4 mile of 14.32 i didnt think the 0-60 sounded right buy hey ho i won't moan. (westle ) 118 thats pretty impressive , is it modified ?. I can't tuen my Esp off as i have an early s3 without it :(. What is the best launch without it ?, someone did say on here that when you get a good launch you know it !. I can remember doing that once lol !.

Anyway enough worrying bring on the exhaust !!

118K is still nothing mate, there are S3s on 200K still going well. My car did a lot of motorway miles when it was younger so the clutch wasn't really used much, it is now :eyebrows:

If you dont have an ESP button then you dont have ESP at all and you have nothing to worry about. I turn mine off as soon as I get in the car because i hate it cutting in.

Anyway stop worrying.

Ok buddy, I do love the s3 for launches though it amazes me how you can do most things of the line , Its just in gear next to something you struggle sometimes.

Im glad i don't have ESP, Had it in my old leon. Absolute waste of time !.

I agee on 5K, it does take some life out of the engine & gearbox mounts, but it is worth it as I find anything below 4k will just bogs down, and feels like its is harsher on the clutch.

Well all my worrying has paid off ! o well , The clutch started slipping big time last night lol.
Got to sell my MK2 :( can do it then .
What are my options, I don't want to spend silly moneys, What is the best combo i can get for under a grande fitted ?.

Luk kit , billet flywheel
Luk kit , Dual mass
Sachs euro kit plus billet fly ?.

Or anything else thats any good but not 900 just for the clutch.

Is the sachs kit from euro actually uprated ?. Seems very cheap.

but would you want to pay out the clutch change labour on an s3 risking having to pay that again n thefuture if the dmf dies?

Im changing the flywheel anyway , But its a case of will i notice a difference with a single mass ?.