1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

AMI cable issue (?) with iPhone 7

tiktok_78 Apr 5, 2018

1. tiktok_78

tiktok_78 Registered User

I have a 2013 A3 with MMI (low?), it is the smaller screen on the display.

I have been able to connect my iPhone 7 via bluetooth, no issues there.

However, I am unable to connect to the car via an AMI cable, the car is not registering the data connection at all, but it is charging the iPhone.

Is this issue due to the fact that it is a non-OEM cable, or that more recent Apple devices will only send data using Apple approved cables?

Has anyone experienced something similar?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. JonnyS3

JonnyS3 Active Member Gold Supporter

I may be wrong but I don't think you can use the data via that?

I have an audi cable and yes it charges it but it doesn't appear to want to use the data?

I bought a simcard - prepaid with data and have that in glovebox but I haven't found may uses for the data yet...

4. tiktok_78

Sorry - by data, I meant music and podcasts.

5. JonnyS3

JonnyS3 Active Member Gold Supporter

Oh I see. Bare with me and I will try to look later. However I suspect someone else will be along to confirm before I finish work later.

6. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

You should source yourself an Audi OEM AMI to Lightning cable with the "yellow" collar. This is the most up to date cable and supports all transfers bar video. Don't get the White or the Green.

*Video over lightning port / cable is digital and Audi cables lack the "smarts" to be able to convert this for MMI usage.

Kayobong likes this.
  7. tiktok_78

Thanks for the advice. It's £50 for the cable from Audi, so will search for a used one that is more reasonably priced.

8. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Yer Audi can be a bit pricy for the cable but they should sell you a set for that price, the “yellow” cable and an AMI to usb which can be useful. eBay have them a lot cheaper every now and then.

9. tiktok_78

I finally resolved this issue.

My local Audi dealer wanted £50 for the AMI cable to enable me to read audio files from my iPhone 7. (It has an authentication chip to permit data transfer)

Lookers Audi are selling the relevant AMI cable (yellow) on eBay for £5.50 inc shipping.

Yay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags: