AMD S3 vs STD S3

ashacre

Reaction score
I had a straight line race yesterday in my AMD chipped S3 against a STD S3, i was happy with the way i pulled away from the STD S3, there was no way he could keep up.

The AMD chip is well worth the money !!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I like the result with the STI qaulity !!!!

Yep, he won that one but mine best for that day was 0.1 sec better and final speed was 5km/h better. That was 1/8 mile...
I took 5 rouds against that Sti and won 4 of them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Nice 1,
I see the new advert for Impreza's claims the STI does 0-60 in 4.9 secs which i simply cannot see the S3 achieving TBH.

On paper figures dont give a true picture though !!!!

For the S3 to get the better of the STI is very impressive....

It´s easier to get good start with S3, because there is pretty good torque in low rpm´s so you dont have to use so much rpm´s to launch. I usually launched with 3000rpm. Sti driver was my mate and he said that it was very hard to get a good start and he had to use over 6000rpm´s...

4.9 sec 0-60 wont be easy even with STi...

Hey!

That may have been me!!! Wasn't down the East Lancs was it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AL

PS: I'll have you know I eased off a bit though, as I was going into the Shell garage. But from 3rd gear you did pull away significantly. Anytime you want another "test", I'm up for it.

HA HA - Yes it was me !!!!

i wasnt going to race at first as my girlfriend was in with me, but i realised you were up for it i had to give it a go !!!!

Nice car by the way !!!! where are you from?

I noticed you had someone in the car, so I wondered, "will he or won't he". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Of course being behind you, I couldn't give it my usual 2500-3000rpm off-the-line launch, as I could have run into the back of you! But I was impressed at how you started to pull away in 2nd and 3rd. I also noticed how you only just made into the Shell garage!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

When I saw your girlfriend in the car, I didn't know whether to say hello or not. I know my bird would have thought me a right sad muppet had she been with me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Your car looked mint by the way. I always wonder "should I have bought black" - looks so much better when clean. Tints looked excellent.

Anyway, if you are local, I'll keep my eye's open for you.

Cheers

AL

PM = Private Message, do you have a flashing "mail" type icon at the top of the page?

If not you may have to switch it on in your profile.

Yes i know, i was a little stupid pulling into shell at that speed (never again), good job the breaks were OK!!!! I couldnt find any optimax that day either - Bummer !!!!

I was the same - tawn between Silver and Black....

Are you going to chip your car???

Yes I am going to chip it, you have convinced me once and for all !!!

My car does have this hesitation problem at the moment, which I want to get sorted before chipping. (see other posts in this forum). Which is one of the reasons why I didn't take part in the recent AmD group buy.

I'm probably going to visit DavidR and Glen (Ess_three) sometime in June and visit Star Performance.

AL

[ QUOTE ]

I'm probably going to visit DavidR and Glen (Ess_three) sometime in June and visit Star Performance.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

Good man AL...
We'll happily let you buy us northern boys some beer!

Make sure your trip doesn't coincide with us being out of the country...we're on our European Extravaganza in june! The Ring here we come...

David also reckons we can get the C4S to over 190 on the clock...I don't think it'll do more than 185.

I'm sure that stretch of Autobahn that Evo visited in this months issue, just outside Frankfurt will hold all the answers...

Glad to hear you are going to get it chipped!!!!

what are your thoughts/what have you heard about free flow CAT's? do you recon they are worth BIG cost??

Ta!

[ QUOTE ]

Good man AL...
We'll happily let you buy us northern boys some beer!

Make sure your trip doesn't coincide with us being out of the country...we're on our European Extravaganza in june! The Ring here we come...

David also reckons we can get the C4S to over 190 on the clock...I don't think it'll do more than 185.

I'm sure that stretch of Autobahn that Evo visited in this months issue, just outside Frankfurt will hold all the answers...

[/ QUOTE ]

Aha, that will be the A3 then, runs from Koln (Cologne) to Frankfurt, no speed limit (apart from 2 area's that are accident black spots and marked at 80KPH with flashing lights) used to drive that on my journey to and fro Frankfurt when I worked out there 2000-2002, great road and the fast lane is only used for overtaking so 99% of people will get out of your way as long as you have your indicator on whilst coming up behind them and during overtaking. The indicator is a know sign for "I am faster than you, get out of the way" happened to me in my 328 BMW got done by a Merc S500 who's throttle must have been stuck at around 140mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The A3 is about a 2hr ish drive in total from Fankfurt to Koln averaging 90mph with variable traffic, so early hours is the best time to travel, I did Frankfurt to Calais which is 380 ish miles in 3hrs 25 mins Journey at around 120 - 130mph with 2 pit stops for petrol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif route taken was Frankfurt > Koln > Achen > Leige > Brussels > Ostend ish > then down the coast to Calais. My passenger could not beleive it as we hit the ferry in Calais at the right moment, had a good crossing (45 mins) and then hardly no traffic all the way to South Wales in 3 hrs dead, so total journey time including ferry was 7hrs 10 mins and he was home before he would have been if he had flown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Glad to hear you are going to get it chipped!!!!

what are your thoughts/what have you heard about free flow CAT's? do you recon they are worth BIG cost??

Ta!

[/ QUOTE ]

Complete waste of time. No power, no torque, no noise...

Dyno proven.

Cheers David,

Well what about exhaust and induction kits???? any comments on these?

Ta

Ditto.

The OEM airbox is not restirctive, you may get better filtration with an oiled gauze filter but no more power.

Exhaust makes none to minimal gains - 5bhp at most and maybe 5lbft - but i'm not convinced.

What about larger downpipe? On my Golf this made a significant difference.

One characteristic of the S3 i dont like is that it tends to keep the revs high when changing gear, so much so that i find myself having to pause (waiting for the revs to die a little before selecting next gear and feeding in the power.
Is there anyway to remove this feature, it almost feels like the engine is lethargic.

I know a lot of you will say this is a positive feature as it will help to keep the engine/turbo on song but i really dont like it as it feels like im promoting clutch slip...not an accurate description but hopefully someone will know what im on about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Downpipe still makes no difference on a standard K04 turbo.

You'll need to get rid of the dual mass flywheel to help with the engines inertia. You can get a single piece lightened one that should help the engine rev more freely.

[ QUOTE ]
Downpipe still makes no difference on a standard K04 turbo.

You'll need to get rid of the dual mass flywheel to help with the engines inertia. You can get a single piece lightened one that should help the engine rev more freely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, on my Golf, I still retained the DMF but the car didnt exhibit the same characteristics, so given that they are very similar setups why does the S3 do it and the Golf didn't/doesn't?