AMD Chip and Audi Service

lpski1

Reaction score
I had my A3 quattro AMD Chipped a while back, very pleased with the result. Since having the car in for a variable service(Audi garage), plugs, filters, brake fluid change, MOT etc, the car feels sluggish when reaching the end of the rev range whereas before it would power all the way.

Is it possible that they have reset the ECU when resetting the service alarm, is there a 'default' type reset ?

It's still quick just not to the extent of before.

Any suggestions appreciated, i'll be giving AMD a call later to see what they think.

Cheers

Lee :)

Unless you told them not to its highly likely they have reflashed you ECU, hence removing the map. You will have to go back to AmD to get it reflashed and to get your map back on. It won't cost that much to do....

Cheers Tobycruse.

I have just phoned AmD and they have confirmed what you told me, so its booked in to be remapped. I'll bare that in mind for the next time it has to go in.

Would an Audi dealer reflash the ecu ?? Surely not... I've had a variable service recently and my cars fine... Sure your maf is ok ??

Its highly unlikely they would reflash the ecu just for what was done, they wouldnt touch it unless they had specific work on the ecu & faults that would require resetting the module, I would give audi dealer a call 1st before remapping, ask them what they did to the letter to your car, dont tell them whats wrong 1st, ask if the engineer flashed or touched the ecu at all, then get amd to check if it has lost the flash & then you have a case for audi to cough up cause unless you asked them to touch it or do anywork involving the ecu they shouldnt touch it wothout talking to you 1st.

Make sure you get some specific info from amd regarding this to support your complaint or its worthless.

Cant see why it would cost you anything to have it flashed back on anyway, 10-15 minutes of AMD's time to reflash!

I was under the impression that there were sometimes new maps from Audi that are installed when your car is in. These then overwrite your remap. Isn't that what's happened here?

You mean a new firmware update for the ecu which may then download the file for the car again thus as you say overwriting, its unlikely & they only ever update firmware from what I know on a specific module if you report issues on that said area of the car, otherwise they dont touch things.

AmD mentioned that it might have been a firmware patch to their map. It isnt right and has only felt it since its been in for the service. The fella at AmD said they can check it no problem and put the map back, again no problem, probably an hours labour charge !
I hadnt asked Audi to do anything with the ECU as there werent any problems with the car at all. I also didnt tell them to leave the ECU alone as i'd had it re-mapped.

The difference is noticeable and it cant be down to a few filter changes.
I'll find out a week Saturday when its booked in, couldnt get there before that.:(

When there is a software update, Audi dealers are ment to inform the customer so they can tell the dealer if it has been remapped. It actually tells the techs this on the bullitins.

Do AMD use REVO for their remaps?

If so, can you get hold of someone with a select switch, just plug it in and try and put it into anti theft mode, if it goes into anti theft mode then the revo software is still loaded.

AMD used to do there own maps tbh but since BBT & Mega4 took over I'm not sure, I know Simon whose AMD surrey did amd map on mine after they took over which has been outstanding as always from Simon, top bloke, but also know Shaun & co do revo aswell IIRC.

The switch is a very good idea, well thought of Julian, this will show if the software is still apparent & prove beyond a doubt if its audi doing things they shouldnt or just in his head, lol

I took the car down to AmD Thurrock yesterday, explained the problem and one of the mechanics took the car out with a laptop wired up to the ECU. When he returned he explained that the car hadnt lost the map but it wasnt receiving any boost when it wanted it and resulting in driving like a standard 2.0T. He also said that the Diverter Valve(Vacuum Operated Valve) had a fault, and thinking that this had blown/torn. (showed me a couple of VOVs that had broke and explained where/how they break)

I had the VOV replaced with the Forged one and also had a Piper Cross Panel filter fitted.

I'm well happy with the result, the car is really quick again and the grin factor has rerturned. :)

Im glad it wasnt all in my head as well lol.

Top guys down at AmD. :icon_thumright:

Thanks for the update post, shows you that AMD arent money grabbing at all, but very professional & showed you exactly the problem, so it was wear & tear & also the stock DV's have always been **** anyway, glad you're happy again, nice one AMD again.

The guys at AmD were brilliant and they fitted the valve and panel filter there and then and i didnt have to re-book it in. Which was great as i obviously hadnt booked it in for any other mods.

I'm sure in my head that the OEM valve was blown whilst Audi had it, and the 20 mile round trip they had in it to take it for an MOT, contributed to it finally giving out. The fact that they hadnt mentioned the fault on it when it had been on their computer, suggests that it must have blew whilst in their care !

It wont be going back to Audi in Chelmsford again, any servicing requirements will be carried out at AmD in the future.