Amazon Music....

silo24

Reaction score
Anybody else got this working in their car without subscribing to the Cubic Telecom scam?

Upgraded to the Oneplus 6T and managed to get it to work...... first time ever!

Very clunky though.....phone needs to connect via WiFi to the mmi, have myAudi running and ignore the WiFi for internet and use the phones 3G/4G session .

Works pretty well, when it works, but drops out occasionally too.

Anybody else got this working in their car without subscribing to the Cubic Telecom scam?

Upgraded to the Oneplus 6T and managed to get it to work...... first time ever!

Very clunky though.....phone needs to connect via WiFi to the mmi, have myAudi running and ignore the WiFi for internet and use the phones 3G/4G session .

Works pretty well, when it works, but drops out occasionally too.
I have the Amazon music app on my iPhone 6s which also shows on the MMI and plays perfectly. I do subscribe to Amazon BTW.

I have the Amazon music app on my iPhone 6s which also shows on the MMI and plays perfectly. I do subscribe to Amazon BTW.
Does it show the Album art? I mainly use Spotify but the Album art is rubbish, I have Amazon prime so may try that!!!

Ah, ok, I guess your talking Carplay right?

The Amazon music implementation in talking about is wireless and previously wouldn't work for me on Android .

Ah, ok, I guess your talking Carplay right?

The Amazon music implementation in talking about is wireless and previously wouldn't work for me on Android .
Reply to both.

Yes, uses Car Play on the MMI. You can view the album artwork as if you were using the app on your phone. Amazon prime lets you stream anything.

Obviously you need an iPhone and not Android.

So, the MMI itself has the capability to interact with the myAudi app on the phone, outside of any Android Auto or Carplay implementation. This means that you DON'T need to connect the USB cable every time you get in the car.

This allows you to play and browse Amazon Music or Napster subscriptions if you have them. I'm finding this more convenient than using Android Auto for the same purpose.....

So, the MMI itself has the capability to interact with the myAudi app on the phone, outside of any Android Auto or Carplay implementation. This means that you DON'T need to connect the USB cable every time you get in the car.

This allows you to play and browse Amazon Music or Napster subscriptions if you have them. I'm finding this more convenient than using Android Auto for the same purpose.....
Not sure what you mean. The Amazon music app is Apple Car Play compatible, therefore you need to connect your Apple phone via the USB cable for it to appear as an icon on the MMI Car Play screen options list, and it can then be controlled using the cars MMI selector wheel. Alternatively, you can use the Amazon music app and play music in the car using the aux jack plug connection and cable without it being displayed on the MMI, just on the phone if you have a phone holder.

Just as a side note whilst discussing Apple Car Play in the MMI, another great app is Waze which is also Car Play compatible and IMO MUCH better than Google maps. It shows REAL TIME traffic jams in red, fixed speed cameras, mobile radar traps, accidents, road speed limits, (all will audible alerts) and more. Deffo worth installing!!

https://www.waze.com/en-GB/

Not sure what you mean. The Amazon music app is Apple Car Play compatible, therefore you need to connect your Apple phone via the USB cable for it to appear as an icon on the MMI Car Play screen options list, and it can then be controlled using the cars MMI selector wheel. Alternatively, you can use the Amazon music app and play music in the car using the aux jack plug connection and cable without it being displayed on the MMI, just on the phone if you have a phone holder.

You're misunderstanding me, i'm trying to highlight the fact you can get Amazon Music or Napster without needing to physically plug the phone in OR interact with the phone itself.....

I now have a separate source in the MMI especially for the Amazon Music app......basically it appears like an SD card or Bluetooth or DVD source, which I can navigate in the same way as an SD card or Internet radio station.

I don't need the phone plugged in OR to use AA/Carplay.

You're misunderstanding me, i'm trying to highlight the fact you can get Amazon Music or Napster without needing to physically plug the phone in OR interact with the phone itself.....

I now have a separate source in the MMI especially for the Amazon Music app......basically it appears like an SD card or Bluetooth or DVD source, which I can navigate in the same way as an SD card or Internet radio station.

I don't need the phone plugged in OR to use AA/Carplay.
Ah gotcha, misunderstood what you were doing.

I've just tried Amazon music via the mmi with my phone connected via a cable, the artwork doesn't show clearly like it does on the phone!!
It shows the carplay set out like the iphone, but when I move over to the Amazon app and play music it shows the same old fashioned screen as Spotify does, with just a big fast forward, pause and rewind icon to highlight!

I did however look into the setting and saw that rather than automatically choosing the sd card in the media button/section when I get in and start the car, I can set that to link to the media on my phone via bluetooth, which allows me to play where I left off in either spotify or amazon music, but I have to use my phone if I want to do more than go forward or back a track. Oh and the artwork doesn't show on that either!

Thanks for the link, tried a few things out on the mmi and phone, managed to get the phone linked to the car via wifi and i could see the Amaazon music app...but then: The same as Dave in these pics https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/amazon-music-issue-with-mmi.355986/

I give up, looks like it need a seperate sim/data card. I'll just either connect via cable and use carplay, or use bluetooth and pick up where I left off on the phone app and make do with skipping track rather than searching for albums etc.

I think the issue might be that the inbuilt sim is only for connect services, which amazon music is not, obviously. If you wish to use that sim for anything more then you would need to purchase additional data or, as you stated, use another sim...

Oh and the artwork doesn't show on that either!

yes its disappointing shows a vague album art in the back ground, navigating through some of the menus aint great either. its better than nothing i guess

yes its disappointing shows a vague album art in the back ground, navigating through some of the menus aint great either. its better than nothing i guess
I now have my car/phone set so that it just connects via bluetooth to Spotify and just picks up where I left off on Spotify. You can't change albums etc but it does the job for the journey to work-back.

How do you set up to phone to use 3/4G to connect to the internet, while still being connected to a WiFi hotspot, which it thinks has Internet, which it does, but is limited just to Audi Connect data services.
My Samsung will only use it's 3/4G if the WiFi network it connects to has an Exclamation mark to show no Internet connection. In my case the car never shows that. So all my phone data tries to use the WiFi connection and times out.

How do you set up to phone to use 3/4G to connect to the internet, while still being connected to a WiFi hotspot, which it thinks has Internet, which it does, but is limited just to Audi Connect data services.
My Samsung will only use it's 3/4G if the WiFi network it connects to has an Exclamation mark to show no Internet connection. In my case the car never shows that. So all my phone data tries to use the WiFi connection and times out.

Depends on the phone.....on my Android there is a setting called "Smart WiFi Switcher" that allows the phone to use whatever it needs to to get connectivity. I also set the WiFi access point to "metered" so it doesn't prefer it over the 4G network .

For Samsung try this.....

Settings > connections > wifi > options (top right hand button -3 dots) > advanced > switch to mobile data (turn it off).

My "Switch to mobile data" is infact set to Aggressive mode any way.
But I thought that the car itself needed it's own data connection route out for these Apps to work. I had previously gotten this working by using the Remote SIM profile, so that the car would use my phone's SIM as it's own. That allowed Amazon Music to work but then all my local phone apps were stuck. I'll try your method and report back. I use Amazon Music a lot.

It doesn't work for me. I guess because I still have a valid Audi Connect service via the built in SIM for things like Google Maps and Traffic, the phone thinks the WiFi connection has an internet connection, so never switches to the 4G network. So where I can use BubbleUpnp as a WiFi music player, I cannot use Amazon Music. I get an error.
As as said, I have used my phone's SIM as a Remote SIM for the car via a Bluetooth profile, but then that renders my phone pretty useless while in the car.

I'm using a OnePlus 6T and works fine.....might be a Samsung issue?

When you connect to the WiFi of the car, does your phone show an Internet connected connection or does it has an Exclamation mark against it?

No exclamation mark. Shows as connected, but my phone uses both WiFi and LTE simultaneously once I switch on Smart WiFi switcher......suspect it uses a different algorithm to determine connectivity.

Just so I understand this. You are able to access and scroll through the Amazon Music in the Media section on your MMI using the wireless connection between the myAudi App on your phone. You can scroll and select using the MMI itself. What I cannot understand is how is your car using the data connection of the phone for Amazon Music.
Even if I can get my phone to use the mobile data for internet while being connected to the WiFi of the car, what use is that. Yes Amazon Music app will work on my phone, and that will play on the MMI via Bluetooth. But then I am not controlling it via MMI.

Last edited:
Yes to your first paragraph. I can browse and select all via MMI. I think the key is that the intelligence is in the MyAudi / mmiConnect App, not in the car MMI itself.

Think of the MyAudi app as a upnp player with an Amazon music interface in it. The MMI itself is just a control interface. That's why the app has to be running.

MyAudi now.....although also worked with MMI connect previously .

I noticed something interesting today. When connected to the car's Wi-Fi, I could browse Google on my phone. But no other website. The inbuilt SIM must allow traffic to domain Google.com, for the map layer etc. But it means that Google works on a connected device too.