Amateur tweak/mod thread

JohnStan725

Reaction score
I recently passed my driving test and got an audi a3 2001 1.6L.

So here she is when I got her at 85k miles for £850 not sure if that's a bargain.

I will be slowly uploading photos for the changes I have made appreciate all comments (good) or (bad).
IMG 20150216 WA0004
IMG 20150216 WA0001
IMG 20150216 WA0000

Last edited:
Reactions: Nilz and jojo
Hi, welcome to Audi-sport.net. Nice car. What mods you going to be doing? Look forward to your progress. Enjoy the forum :) x

Hi Sandra, I completed a couple things mainly cosmetics and little tweaks/deletes. As i am new to all of this i dont have much experience with engines or mods.

I will be showing pictures of different taillights, Air box delete with installation of an air filter and custom adaptor for the MAF as it wasnt a straight fit. Different wraps of vinyl i have done to just touch it up exterior + interior, with installation of L.E.D.S and Installation of 6x9s in the parcel shelf subwoofer fitting aftermarket stereo waxing and polishing, Also purchased alloys which will be going on soon along with suspension lowering, Brakes ETC. Basically noob tweaks for someone who might want to do the same.

Currently at work though so wont be uploading right now.

You have been busy John :) x

Reactions: Nilz and JohnStan725
Hi Sandra, I completed a couple things mainly cosmetics and little tweaks/deletes. As i am new to all of this i dont have much experience with engines or mods.

I will be showing pictures of different taillights, Air box delete with installation of an air filter and custom adaptor for the MAF as it wasnt a straight fit. Different wraps of vinyl i have done to just touch it up exterior + interior, with installation of L.E.D.S and Installation of 6x9s in the parcel shelf subwoofer fitting aftermarket stereo waxing and polishing, Also purchased alloys which will be going on soon along with suspension lowering, Brakes ETC. Basically noob tweaks for someone who might want to do the same.

Currently at work though so wont be uploading right now.

Buy another parcel shelf....and throw those 6x9`s in the bin.

Put a 4 channel amp in the back and run wires through to your speakers in the front. Swap the door speakers for a decent set of second hand door speakers mounted on mdf rings and get some sound deadening. Apply this to the inside of your door skins.

Cool first car bud, I bet the insurance was a stinger, make sure you declare any mods to the insurance company, it's not worth the risk not to.

Did those come with the option for xenons from factory? Otherwise someone has retrofitted them ;)

Did those come with the option for xenons from factory? Otherwise someone has retrofitted them ;)

Won't be retrofitted I doubt... its a face lift car so they should be halogen projectors

<tuffty/>

Doesnt have headlight washers so cant be factory. Could put a hid kit in it i spose! Btw OP if you do attempt that id recommend welldonelighting for the kits :p

So just a quick photo of some interior vinyl not sure if I like it though, Tom I've heard it blows the wiper motor?
IMG 20150706 131252
IMG 20150706 131238

Insurance is pretty steep at £166 a month, wasn't to fussed as other cars where not much cheaper wanted something good reliable so to say and for 850 thought it was a snatch. Halogen projectors standard

Samuealle, I have a 4 channel amp was my first idea but not sure what size speaker etc

Doesnt have headlight washers so cant be factory. Could put a hid kit in it i spose! Btw OP if you do attempt that id recommend welldonelighting for the kits :p

Doesn't need headlight washers for 'factory' halogens only xenons...

Facelift A3's came with halogen projectors... which look a little bit like S3 xenons... but aren't... as they are halogen...

<tuffty/>

I didnt know that jojo that's for clarifying though, any recommendations on Hid kits? Luckily I do have a friendly mot tester does my servicing and everything for me on the cheap been my friends moter for along time.

Do you fail with HIDs on the MOT test?

Thanks Scott! How did you find the corsa?

Legally HIDs need to have a different cut off pattern to halogens, headlamp washers and self levelling...

<tuffty/>

Tuffty so recommeding not to get them from eBay then? If i was to put a HID kit in they would have to be professional leveled etc? if i just wacked them straight in i would be driving with illegal lights dont want to be pulled by the police! a polo 6n2 was going to be my first choice until i found this car!

Also tuffty what would happen if there was no headlamp washers?

Last edited:
Tuffty so recommeding not to get them from eBay then? If i was to put a HID kit in they would have to be professional leveled etc? if i just wacked them straight in i would be driving with illegal lights dont want to be pulled by the police! a polo 6n2 was going to be my first choice until i found this car!

I am no expert... lots of people have done this... its not really that much different to people fitting decats etc... everyone has 'fractured' a law or too in the pursuit of car modification... there is plenty of info about this subject out there... here are a couple from a very quick Google... have a read...

http://greyhead.co.uk/are-aftermarket-hid-lights-legal-in-the-uk

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/205920/13_013.pdf

Armed with the facts you can make an informed decision as to whether or not you want to do this yourself

<tuffty/>

Really appreciate this tuffty as i was about to purchase some but i will check out what people have to say before i jump the gun on this one.

Thanks!

I used ozram night breakers in my old A3, they are very good, with no mot issues as they are still just replacement bulbs, I see from the pics that your lights are starting to yellow, give them a good going over with t cut on a damp rag, but mask off the paintwork first, they will come up a treat, make sure you give them a coat of wax after to stop the oxidising again and keep the wax topped up ever my few months.

Just a quick photos of the aftermarket taillights along with pressed plates and led bulbs for the license plate.
IMG 20150620 130122
IMG 20150701 192057

Sorry mate, not feeling those lights im afraid, they remind me of the old lexus lights that did the rounds a few years ago, personally I would have just stuck with the facelifts.....however it is your car, so your choice :)

Not a problem Nilz, i am thinking about putting the orginals back on there, still kept them as i thought they do look pretty cheap the old lexus lights is what there ment to be! tbh the design of them isnt all that! was tempted by the LEDs but think OEM is better.

Just a quick couple of pictures, doing the interior lights LED much better ofcourse, 6 bulbs for 3pound off ebay, also carbon wrapped the chrome surrounding on the grill.

Stuck between which taillights I should have.
IMG 20150715 200826
IMG 20150715 200218
IMG 20150715 200215
IMG 20150718 201424
IMG 20150718 201438
IMG 20150718 202346
IMG 20150718 210212

Like the carbon interior wrap but I would keep the originals lights on it look so much better and it will draw less attention from police( I got pulled every week when I started driving)boy races

Hi tj,

Thanks for the input which wrap on the interior? I'm unsure on the purple one for fascia tbh.

I agree with what your saying luckily I've not been pulled for anything yet I live in the countryside police are abit laid back about it but I don't want to be pulled either way! Probably go back to OEM at the weekend.

The carbon looks good.not suggesting you anything to hide like it was just hassle plus oem look is always easier to sell on

Thanks buddy was abit of hard work had my girlfriend to help out so half the work there! That's true always have them put safely away just in case don't think I'll sell this one trying to make it last 2 years and get a 1.8T not sure if it will fingers though!

I have a hid kit fitted to my facelift a3 been on there 3 years never had a problem on the mot as the beam pattern looks standard. Never had a issue with the police either. If you do go ahead and get them you should get the 55w 6000k kit the light from them looks like the standard hid fitted to the new cars so no one questions it.

Reactions: JohnStan725
EX, that's the kit I've been looking at just unsure do I need a certain rely or anything do they throw any warning lights? Also what HID kit have you been using? Installation process easy?

The kits are plug and play. No warning lights or extra relays needed. They are really easy to fit only thing you will need is a hole cutter as you have to cut a 20-25mm hole in the back cover on the headlight. I think I replaced the original bulb connectors with spade terminals to make my life easier but the original connectors were ******** anyway and causing me problems. As for the ballasts I tucked them behind the wheel arch liners so they are out the way.

I used a cheap kit off eBay which cost me less than £40 and haven't had any issues with them.

It's the VOSA inspectors you have to worry about, rather than the Police, as they know what to look for, if they catch you they can place a prohibition notice on your car,to stop you using it until it is put back to original, or they can just take the car off you, I got a pull by them because my front windows were slightly tinted and if I couldn't remove the tint there and then, they were going to take it away on a Lowe loader, then charge me storage.

Ayfreetree, they seem to kill everyone's fun! Can't believe that I'd hate it if they tried to do me over and take my car off me! Tints I've heard people usually be getting pulled for them, someone I know took a fine for having the back ones illegally tinted didn't even know that was possible told him not to accept the fine! But they was like they'll take him to the station and all this idiots or what!

Lavis, I'd definitely recommend doing it takes max 10mins just pulls out wrap it and put it back in, mine was damaged and just makes it look a little better.

Guys if im to purchase a HID kit, do i need a CANBUS one? with Cancellers?

Your car won't have canbus. That wasn't fitted to the a3 until 2003/2004. I just got the standard kit for mine which is the same year as yours. Just make sure it's the 6000k 55w version.

Reactions: GeorgieS3
Spartan thanks for the quick reply as im going to purchase this today, i have seen a 6000k 55w sun wolf are they a reliable make?