Am I mad?

Deanphoto

fell down the stairs :(
Reaction score
Website
www.deanphoto.co.uk
Hi everyone!

Now then, I haven't posted for what must be 2 years and prior to that I didn't post much anyhow, so please forgive me!

So here's a bit of background info to my question.

Once upon a time I owned a beautiful '99 8L pre-facelift S3 in Azure blue. I absolutely adored it but unfortunately, because I'm a silly billy, I had to sell it. Since then I've had a TTC and I currently pootle around in a '57 A3 1.9TDi mile cruncher. I also get to drive the siliest supercar's because of my photography job however, everytime I see an 8L S3, my heart sinks :(

It's obvious that I still have a scratch to itch. I can get rid of the A3 with ease and afford the S3 happily. This time though, there'll be no comprises, it'll be the exact spec and colour's scheme I'm after.

But what I want to know is: do you think I'm mad to be considering buying another? I'll be doing 30k+ miles a year, am I going to tire of it and am I going to want something that has an engine with more soul? I guess only I can answer this one, really.

But here's a couple you might be able to help me with:

Are there any good 'uns left out there?

Noggy w/Blue Alcantara or Imola w/Yellow Alcantara?

Cheers,

Dean

Welcome back! Go for it, if it tickles your fancy, though I'd have to admit, 8L S3's are lagging behind modern hatchbacks in the performance department, and since you get to play with supercars, it might not stir your soul as you remembered.

Maybe you should have a go in a couple before you make your mind, but of course, if it's just the look you are after, then you know what to do. :):photo::)

... you might want to buy this too, lol

Hmm, tempting upgrade if I do get bored of it. Any known issues that kit (I know backdraft have had issues). Obviously, an S3 isn't the most dynamic car in the world, I'm wondering if the chassis is able to cope with that power or whether it'll just turn into a drag car only?

Do it!

... you might want to buy this too, lol

For a small sum of £3715.27 inc VAT - GULP! :faint: .... though I'm sure it will go very well. :racer:

Hmm, tempting upgrade if I do get bored of it. Any known issues that kit (I know backdraft have had issues). Obviously, an S3 isn't the most dynamic car in the world, I'm wondering if the chassis is able to cope with that power or whether it'll just turn into a drag car only?

You would need to spend another £1500+ on the chassis to cope with the power, then another £1k or so on brakes so you can stop! Which equates to a £6k + Car conversion... I would rather buy and Evo6 TME and pay the hefty insurance premium for my thrills, unless the car you want parked outside just has to be an S3 in profile, but that's just me.

I would say go for the S3, I love it and never get too bored with it. I'm fitting cruise control to it tomorrow and going to get a remap on it soon. I don't see how you can get bored with such a fantastic car. If you can't get your old car back, go for the Facelift. I think they look a little nicer the pre-facelift. :)

I do 18,000 miles a year and it's a little upsetting seeing the clock just climb, but I love every time I drive the car.

Oh and Dean, I've had a look at your website, some of the pictures are fantastic! Bit short notice, but would you be able to attend the Audi's in the Park this Sunday? Some pictures of our meet would be good and I'm sure a few people would be happy to pay some money towards costs if it's not too expensive! Your photo's look top notch mate! My favourite so far's been the Aston Martin, #3 on your web page.

Any details on your costs for private photography too?

If you decide to go for one, i'm prob going to be selling mine soon:

Imola yellow
Yellow alcantara
2002 52 plate
31k miles

Thanks for all the replies!

I only wanted to reply to say I'm loving your work - some great pics there. Good stuff!

Thanks!

Imola yellow
Yellow alcantara
2002 52 plate
31k miles

That sounds perfect, any ideas on what you'd let it go for?

Oh and Dean, I've had a look at your website, some of the pictures are fantastic! Bit short notice, but would you be able to attend the Audi's in the Park this Sunday? Some pictures of our meet would be good and I'm sure a few people would be happy to pay some money towards costs if it's not too expensive! Your photo's look top notch mate! My favourite so far's been the Aston Martin, #3 on your web page.

Any details on your costs for private photography too?

I'll be at Audi's in the park. I don't usually take the camera to car shows but I'll be dragging it around looking for featurable cars. Give me a call on the day (number on website) and I'll see if I can come over and meet you!

As for the costs for private photography, I have a few 'packages' which can be tailored to suit peoples needs. The photography and time spent is always the same so you'll get quality photographs but what you receive will differ (image resolution, copyright restrictions, prints etc). Prices range from £200-£1000. If you email me I can send you over a detailed price sheet (£200 package is what most go for and will be more than suitable for most peoples needs!).

Cheers,

Dean

Stinky finger?

For a small sum of £3715.27 inc VAT - GULP! :faint: .... though I'm sure it will go very well. :racer:

You would need to spend another £1500+ on the chassis to cope with the power, then another £1k or so on brakes so you can stop! Which equates to a £6k + Car conversion... I would rather buy and Evo6 TME and pay the hefty insurance premium for my thrills, unless the car you want parked outside just has to be an S3 in profile, but that's just me.

Hmmm, seems like a lot money for not much gain. I was planning on getting something for the weekend along side the S3 but at a later date (something very loud and fast TVR Cerbera/T350).

Imola yellow
Yellow alcantara
2002 52 plate
31k miles

Hopefully a goodun, same amount of miles as me :thumbsup:

IMHO a 30k car sounds good but its still 6 years old

Thanks for all the replies!

Thanks!

That sounds perfect, any ideas on what you'd let it go for?

I'll be at Audi's in the park. I don't usually take the camera to car shows but I'll be dragging it around looking for featurable cars. Give me a call on the day (number on website) and I'll see if I can come over and meet you!

As for the costs for private photography, I have a few 'packages' which can be tailored to suit peoples needs. The photography and time spent is always the same so you'll get quality photographs but what you receive will differ (image resolution, copyright restrictions, prints etc). Prices range from £200-£1000. If you email me I can send you over a detailed price sheet (£200 package is what most go for and will be more than suitable for most peoples needs!).

Cheers,

Dean

Hmmm, seems like a lot money for not much gain. I was planning on getting something for the weekend along side the S3 but at a later date (something very loud and fast TVR Cerbera/T350).

I haven't really thought too much about price. I'll probably put it up for £7999 and see how things go.

So let me get this right, you're asking us lot on the 8L forum whether it's a good idea to buy another S3? Well, we're only going to say 1 thing to that - of course it's a good idea!

Sounds like you've made your mind up & want us to confirm it. Or maybe you need some extra ammo to convince your missus....? :friends:

Sorry mate, I missed this post, wasn't logged in before Audi's in the Park unfortunately. Would have been nice! I'll drop you a line at some point. :)