Am I mad or do you ever do this kind of thing?

G4JSG

Gotcha!!!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.oktogo.co.uk
I have always loved driving and often get in my car and head off somewhere for a drive. I live in Stockport, near Manchester UK, and once wanted doughnuts so drove to Piccadily Circus in London cos Dunkin donoughts are the best ones, it was the only outlet in the UK at the time.

Sometimes it's a drive around the Lake District and back and other times it's off to Cornwall for a blast.

So it didn't come as too much of a surprise to Mrs G when I said I wanted to go to Monaco last weekend. I wanted to go through the Mont Blanc tunnel too and find those nice Italian job raods and the Monte Carlo roads too.

Read and see all of our trip on www.g4jsg.co.uk

I love the Top Gear, TV show, races they have done through Europe where a car races against planes, tranes and other non car forms of transport. This is something I'd like to do myself. Get a load of people organised and plan a race of sorts and have a crew there just to shoot pics and videos of the 2 chosen forms of transport in the race. Anyone think I'm mad?

I have 2 routes next in Mind for a drive out. From the UK to Barcellona and then back through France and over the Millau bridge, the one that's about a mile long and as tall as Blackpool tower, and maybe route through Le Mans and then back to Blighty. My 2nd route is a drive from John o'Groats to Lands end and for a twist in the tail you can only use 200 miles of motorway, you choose the bit of motorway you want.

So, bonkers or interesting? Let me know what you think.

John

i think its a mint idea next year we want to drive up to hull and get the ferry over to holland then drive to the nurburg then france and back home

and as for driving i can somtimes find myself up in the lakes and i was only ment to be getting some bread

im also from stockport

Maybe it's something in the water around here then as no one else has owned up to do such things.

I take it your trip to Nurburg race track then I might be up for that trip too if you don't mind sharing the experience?

John

Yep, I'm part of that crowd, general driving for the sake of it, once drove all night, started in Romford, 2 car convey that night, drove to Colchester, met up for someone's b'day (left there at about 1.. Then we drove to Ipswich, then headed for Great Yarmouth, then back round to Romford, without going back the way we'd come, got there at abou 7.30am. Decided sleeping wouldn't be the best option as would be up all the next following night, so decided to clean the car instead, then go for a pub lunch.

A few of me and my mates generally do that, will meet up in the evening every now and then, and go for a massive drive

I don't think I've actually got into my car to start it up just for a drive for no reason, but I have taken a longer route to get to my destination, to give my car a bit of a workout through some twisties and straights along the way. :racer:

I'm another one in the 'driving for the sake of it' club...

Moreso over the past few weeks as it's been so good to have her back...

I'm regularly up around the northern lakes area (around Keswick etc.); or found somewhere in east-lancashire or down in the peak district, but doing a course of Preston -> Southport -> Preston -> Blackpool and back to Preston etc. is a regular one too - of course picking the roads carefully :D

That was last night's 'unwinder' after being trapped in a fabrication factory until late on. I just kept around that local area but still managed only to get home at 05:30!

Regards,

Rob.

Ahhh so it's you lot clogging up the roads for those of us who are actually going somewhere, thought that was just OAP's in Rovers!
I think the only time I've driven somewhere for the hell of it is when I've picked up another decent car who wants to race, unfortunatley my licence doesn't allow me such luxuries anymore.

AndyMac said:
Ahhh so it's you lot clogging up the roads for those of us who are actually going somewhere, thought that was just OAP's in Rovers!
I think the only time I've driven somewhere for the hell of it is when I've picked up another decent car who wants to race, unfortunatley my licence doesn't allow me such luxuries anymore.
Heheh. I'd like to stress that I for one probably don't contribute too much to traffic... Most of my 'entertainment' drives commence well after the roads have emptied! I wouldn't think I could be lumped into the boy-racer class (probably the closest I come is holding gears a little longer to show my disapproval after having to wait ages for a drunk to stumble across the road) but I certainly can't put up with being on the road behind those Rovers! I suppose a lot of it is because I just really prefer driving at night.

What's everyone else's preference... Daylight or dark?

Anyway, I think we should do a trade fella... Your licence is holding you back... My engine is holding me back!

Regards,

Rob.

I've seen how quickly the M25 can be done at night before (in a mates car), I also regularly take the long way when it's a nicer option. I have never driven from london to manchester for a donut though and for that sir you deserve a medal!

yep, remember one time at uni was meant to drive my mates to alton towers from birmingham, but ended up chatting cruising up to buxton then blackpool, preston back down to manchester then to a curry house in birmingham 4.30am, 22 hrs but we were students, but we haven't changed that much, we arrange an evening and every week or two and clock up 400-600 miles . some of you guys are on another level though big respect

All of my & mates driving for the sake of it drives, are done in the middle of the night, so no road clogging there!

This sounds like some religis cult of driving your audi at night ...........have done this before just to clear my head but not that far were it has costed me 2 tanks of petrol 160 quid ..........Yes i am scottish and a tight git.......right i will be off now squeak squeak squeak:sly:

In the UK most of the driving is at night on these type of "trip" as the road are clearer. But once out of the UK it seems daytime easy driving is the norm with open motorways and good open and clear local roads too.

I don't often go mad, speed wise, so most of the time I can get over 500 miles out of a tank of juice which makes for a good driving time. Though at 140+ it really drinks it.............this wasn't done in the UK though as our roads are not clear enough even in the dark hours.

I have owned a fair few cars in my time and only the Audi's have given me the comfort and thrill which makes me keep on driving.

Ive allways thought about doing road trips for me it would be over to france down the east coast to the basque country cross to northern spain over to Portugal via la caruna down the east coast of portugal and all the way round again via barcelona, monte carlo etc

G4JSG said:
I live in Stockport, near Manchester UK, and once wanted doughnuts so drove to Piccadily Circus in London....

:tocktock:

I'm terrible for going off on drives for no particular reason.

In the Astra I've been known to do anything up to 60 miles in an evening,......................without going any further away than Crawley (about 10 miles away) :D

It's getting that way in the Audi some nights. I tell Rachel I'm nipping to the shop at tea-time, and I don't get back until it's dark LOL!!!

yeh i do that as well.

but im having an affair so i guess its different... joke

It's a bit like reminiscing, I used to do it all the time when I was younger and lived with my parents, but probably stopped when I got my own place, or else I got older :)

neil.c said:
It's a bit like reminiscing, I used to do it all the time when I was younger and lived with my parents, but probably stopped when I got my own place, or else I got older :)

:iagree: Although when I'd got my own pad I used to ****** off for a couple of hours to get away from the (ex) GF and sort my head out. Silly mare.

joost said:
I used to ****** off for a couple of hours to get away from the (ex) GF and sort my head out. Silly mare.

Been there and done that too dude LOL!! (with daft ex's) :)

neil.c said:
I used to do it all the time when I was younger and lived with my parents, but probably stopped when I got my own place, or else I got older :)

And you realised the sheer expense of throwing £40 in the tank for no particular reason on a regular basis ;)

Very expensive hobby is mindless driving :D

Yeah the best bit fo doing all these trips everywhere is when you book in for a service, 49K plus cambelt change, and they say it might be up to £1,000

So maybe I'll either do less miles or not renew the warranty this year and just service the car myself so I still have enough cash to drive where and when I want too.